IGNORED

USWE Zulo 6 Hydration Waist Pack Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

USWE Zulo 6 Review intro

After riding and racing for six years, I had three issues with the many different hydration backpacks I’d used:

1. If I put the backpack under the jersey, it looked Quasimodo-ugly.
  2. If I placed it on top—no one could see the racing number and surname on my back.
  3. And if the rider has back issues, as many do, then adding extra weight is a bad idea.

Belt bag hydration systems address all of these problems. As their entry in this field, USWE offers the Zulo 2 (1 liter) and Zulo 6 (1.5-liter) versions. My friend kindly offered me the Zulu 6 as I arrived to explore Baja trails (completely unprepared for 80–90°F heat!).

To use, fill the bladder with water, attach the super-convenient detachable hose, and stick some energy bars in the small, easy-to-reach outer pockets. There are still enough empty pockets and space for duct tape, cable ties, or a small toolkit. Wrap the belt around your hips, fasten the central buckle, tighten the side straps for the perfect fit, and you are good to go.

USWE’s “no dancing monkey” system really works, and you forget that you’re wearing this gear as you ride. For relaxed several-hour rides, the waist pack is good in its as-sold configuration, but for racing, you might want to get a Helmet Handsfree Kit for an additional $30. For longer rides in the heat you might also need an additional bladder for extra water supply.

Designed by Swedish riders tired of bouncing backpacks, and produced in Vietnam with proper quality control and for a good price, this bag is definitely a good choice for riders who need to stay hydrated, yet don’t want to waste time dealing with bottles.

USWE.com

MSRP: Zulo 2—$84.99 | Zulo 6—$129.99

Where to Buy:

Moto Sport btn   Amazon btn

PROS:

• Nice compression system prevents the bag from bouncing; you don’t feel it as you ride
  • Cool variety of pockets for energy bars, tools, documents, and other small things
  • Reasonable mid-range pricing

CONS:

• One size that fits 31–40-inch waist/hips. If you are bigger, you’ll have to search for an alternative solution
  • The magnet doesn’t really hold the drinking line, you have to stick it under straps
USWE Zulo 1
Read more ...

View the full article