IGNORED

Backyard Solo Adventure in Southern California

MotoNews

Published in: Rides

Backyard Solo Adventure intro

The weekend is here, and a couple of my mates have backed out of the ride we’d planned. As someone who doesn’t take sitting idly very well, I look to the hills behind my home for some riding inspiration. Sure, I’ve already explored some of those quiet highways and dirt roadways, but today, I’m ready to hunt for a few new paths in my old haunt. And the Southern California mountains and high deserts north of Rancho Cucamonga make for a perfect solo day trip.

Since I am now running on my own time, our original 6:00 a.m. wake-up call becomes a casual 8:00 rousting. Morning coffee and a little web browsing give me a fairly solid idea for the day’s game plan. One thing that catches my eye is a fantastic sandwich review on Yelp of a market I’ve passed many times. This becomes the destination. And the meal is the prize.

In 45°F temps, I depart from home with the first trail on my mind. I’d noticed it a few months back while driving on the freeway—one of those moments when you daydream about anything but being on the Interstate. This fire road practically jumped into my line of sight, like it was revealing itself only to me, disappearing again as it faded in the rearview mirror. But today, finally, after gazing at it from my truck some time back, I return, grabbing the opportunity to create my own route and hit as many of the missed points of interest as I can fit in during daylight. Riding a way up the crest through some mild rocky terrain brings the kind of excitement and challenges only a dirt junkie craves. The mountains take on a whole new perspective the deeper I go. Spotting the peak of the trail, I head for it with fervor.

Backyard Solo Ride CA creek

It seems I’ve found the gateway connecting a few of the trails I’ve ridden before. Up there, you can see how the path carves its way out of the mountain for miles. And the sight can be a bit overwhelming along with feelings of being lost, despite knowing home is just an hour away. After about 10 miles of skimming the crest, I begin the descent. Riding an Africa Twin offers a more leisurely pace for taking in such spectacular landscape. For nearby motorbike trips, it’s my weapon of choice. There’s something pretty unique about a 1000cc bike that can run down the highway at 85 mph then hit the dirt without a hitch. But when I need some more serious action off road, my preference is my Honda CRF-450RL.

Surviving the rain ruts down the trail, I fall into a vast valley of rock formations created by the San Andreas fault line’s tectonic plates. This fault line has kept us Californians in fear of “The Big One” for decades. Still no major earthquake, yet, but it does love to rumble often to remind us not to become complacent. As I zig-zag through the rocks, I come upon a bench with a Veteran’s Memorial overlooking the train tracks—an excellent place to relax for a few minutes.

Backyard Solo Ride CA rock

After soaking in some scenery, I notice another kind of rumble. My stomach tells me it is time to look into that highly recommended sandwich. Jumping back on the pavement and heading up the mountain again, I stick to the twisties, which keep the heart rate up—this route is the perfect balance of dirt and asphalt. My blood is still pumping hard as I pull into the town of Wrightwood, a quiet little village on the back side of Angeles Crest, mainly known for its ski resort. Breathtaking views of Mt. Baldy’s peak and the desert floor of El Mirage Dry Lakebed make it a great destination. There’s even an excellent burger joint here, but today I’m heading to Jensen’s to find that sandwich. Strolling through the door and into the deli with a couple of options to choose from, I go with the “Italian Alps” and make the right choice. Not just as a reward for the journey’s end, but with the selection of the route, the “weapon,” the landing place, and the decision to carry on solo.

Backyard Solo Ride CA sandwich

My local stomping ground can be just as fulfilling as a cross-country ride. I love ADV treks and sharing them with friends, but I’m usually one to keep some trails a little secret. Because how can you have genuinely new experiences just around the corner if the route is posted for everyone to see? Most riders manage the paved roads without a problem, but dirt riding is a different story. One wrong move or turn or shift of weather patterns can flip your plans upside down. Yet, that’s exactly why we do it. Because of the mystery, the unknown outcomes between here and our destinations. Even if you’ve crossed a path more than once, it’s the way you view the world and take it in that really matters. So, it’s up to you to make every ride… an adventure.

Backyard Solo Ride CA sheep

Steve Green mini bio portraitSteve Green is an adventure Dual-sport rider, photographer, and all-around knucklehead located in Southern California. His brand Wildfire Moto is a tribute to his late brother Tommy Wildfire that passed away from a motorcycle accident. This life event turned him to stray away from the road and adventure to the dirt. WildFireMoto.com or Instagram @wildfiremoto

Read more ...

View the full article