IGNORED

Klim Arsenal 15 Backpack Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Klim Arsenal 15 Backpack Review intro

The Klim Nac Pak backpack was my trusty companion on every ride for years, including multi-month off-road journeys. The Klim Nac Pak excelled not only in ergonomics but also in durability; it still looked new after riding rough trails for thousands of miles. And I would still be using it today if it wasn’t for the fact that my son “borrowed” it.

He must have liked it as much as I did because it was never returned. When I asked him about the Nac Pak, he replied he was holding on to it for when his son would be old enough to use it, just like I’d done for him… I guess that’s what dads are for!

The stars aligned at the moment I was looking for a new medium-sized backpack when Klim launched the Arsenal 15 backpack and the larger Arsenal 30. The Arsenal backpacks are the perfect example of Klim’s pursuit of excellence. With the Nac Pak performing beyond expectations, why would they bother trying to improve it? But that’s exactly what the Klim designers did, resulting in the Arsenal 15 and 30 backpacks.

Klim Arsenal Backpack Review front

The Klim Arsenal 15 is essentially a next-generation Nac Pak. At first glance, they look similar, but the Arsenal 15 differs in subtle details. The most discernible differences between both backpacks are the 3M Scotchlite reflective stripes that adorn the Arsenal 15, the S-curve-shaped back panel, and the soft-shell goggle pocket that substitutes for the molded goggle hard case of the Nac Pak.

The Arsenal 15’s soft shell goggle pocket is larger, but I must admit that I miss the superior protection offered by the molded goggle case on the Nac Pak. I put a spare pair of reading glasses and sunglasses in that hard case, reassured of their protection during an involuntary get-off.

Similar to the Nac Pak, the Arsenal 15 doesn’t feature a hip belt. Don’t let that be a concern, as the excellent ergonomics of the adjustable 3D mesh shoulder straps and close-fitting chest harness keep the Arsenal 15 firmly in place when bouncing over bumpy trails. This is achieved by integrating the shoulder/chest harness straps with the upper and lower torso straps that are easily adjusted with the buckles. The glove-friendly swivel chest buckle securely locks the sternum straps together and cinching the torso side straps tight yields a snug and comfortable fit.

Klim Arsenal Backpack Review chest

The S-curve-shaped back panel of the Arsenal 15 is a major ergonomic improvement, as it distributes the load to the lower back. The massive airflow through the large gap between the S-curve-shaped back panel and the rider’s back is a game-changer in hot weather.  Strategically-placed corrugated foam pillows and the offset mesh enhance the airflow’s cooling effect making it my preferred backpack for mountain biking and enduro riding.

Klim Arsenal Backpack Review curve

Load compression and stability are also noticeable. The structural improvements to the harness and back panel are accompanied by the addition of an internal wire frame for load support and by optimizing the load compression straps. The upper compression straps are fitted with quick-release buckles and the lower compression straps are optimized for load control placement.

The Arsenal 15 comes with the same Shape-Shift 3L HydraPak Bladder, but the hydration hose is now easier to find and use with the help of a magnetic clip that attaches to the chest strap. The carrying handle and the internal organizer panel with various pockets and key chain clip are other practical features carried over from the Nac Pak. The removable water-resistant Tool Pak features two elasticated webbing panels and a mesh pocket. It also comes with a waterproof rain cover. The sturdy 500D Cordura nylon construction and PU-coated outer panels shed mud and water, elevating its durability.

Klim Arsenal Backpack Review inside

Another welcome improvement: the Arsenal 15 has two new chest harness zippered pockets and stretch mesh drop pockets that are quite a bit larger than those on the Nac Pak. I use these pockets all the time for keys, earplugs, lip balm, sunscreen, phone, Garmin inReach Mini, etc. The outer rear kangaroo stuff pocket with compression straps is also convenient for carrying things like a jacket or small bag of groceries.

If you’re in the market for a top-quality, medium-capacity, super-durable backpack with a highly-ergonomic harness, a three-liter hydration bladder, and a practical tool pouch, the Klim Arsenal 15 Backpack is a no-brainer.

In retrospect, I’m grateful my son decided to look after my old pack as it allowed me to upgrade to the Arsenal 15. Let’s hope he doesn’t read this review!

Klim.com

MSRP: Arsenal 15 Backpack—$149.99 | Arsenal 30 Backpack —$199.99 (Price might vary.)

PROS:

• Excellent fit and ergonomics of harness
  • Load compression and stability
  • Ventilation of back panel
  • Durability
  • Tool pouch
  • Three-liter hydration bladder

CONS:

• Soft shell goggle case

Read more ...

View the full article