IGNORED

F800GT

RPG

My Brother In Law picked up a '14 model (Burnt Orange) and after sitting on it, I am intrigued. Only noticeable issue was the pegs seemed a bit high (I'm 6'0" with a 34" Inseam).

Would like to test ride one. Seems like a very nice sport touring package and only about 475lbs.

1 hour ago, RPG said:

My Brother In Law picked up a '14 model (Burnt Orange) and after sitting on it, I am intrigued. Only noticeable issue was the pegs seemed a bit high (I'm 6'0" with a 34" Inseam).

Would like to test ride one. Seems like a very nice sport touring package and only about 475lbs.

Afternoon Rick

As long as you don't need a drive belt, or a stator, or handlebar switches. The F800GT will go a long ways on a gallon of gasoline. The drive belt costs just under $600.00, they will go a fairly long time unless you kick a stone or small road toad up that gets between the belt & sprocket. That can punch a hole through the belt, if the hole is on the belt's outer edge then it's belt time, if it goes through the center then it's just uncomfortable riding until you finally just replace it for peace of mind.  

A little underpowered & buzzy when you get above 85 mph but at lower speeds a fun motorcycle.   

With the belt drive you are pretty well stuck with the gearing it comes with. 

If the price is right & charging system is still working (earlier 800 bikes), if you get a 15 & up the charging system was improved with a better oil-cooling-flow freewheel. 

Valve adjustment is a REAL pain in the A$$ but is doable at home. 

If you get one put a small amount of 2 cycle oil in the last tank of fuel before winter storage, the alloy fuel pump in not anodized  so it can seize up if stored with alcohol fuel in the tank.

I'm not sure on the F800GT fuel tank , some of the other model F800 bikes had problems with the outer fuel tank seams cracking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
louisvillebob

One man's opinion: I have a 2013 F800GT and really like it.  I switched from a BMW R100RT I had ridden for many years.  It weighs about the same, but feels lighter.  The wet clutch is a welcome change from a dry clutch.  The GT seems to be the product of some design compromises, but is, overall, a pleasant bike to own and ride.  It is not as easy to work on as the RT, but maintenance is still doable at home.  It's just different.

The problem with stators burning out was largely eliminated in 2013 when BMW quietly changed the design of the flywheel to add vents to cool the stator so that should not be a factor in considering any 2013+ F800.

BMW transferred the stator problem to the LC boxers for a couple of years.

• Smile 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My new   - new to me -  ride.  Its a great downsize ... not too big, not too small  .... just right

Has factory side cases, just not pictured

A01F4C19-02FB-44C0-B6D8-3EA75981F1DC_1_102_o.jpeg

74D760D3-C909-4050-94C6-0AE976314297_1_102_o.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Plus 1 1