IGNORED

Ride Preparations, 2023-Style

Mike

Yesterday, as I was preparing for a modest road trip (going to the BMW Performance Center and then the Barber Motorsports Museum), I decided it was time to do those updates that I’ve been putting off:

-Nav VI maps;

- Cardo Packtalk software;

-Valentine I software;

-Klim/inMotion airvest software;

-Updated REVER app.

In addition, I located and saved the addresses of some of my destinations and hotels in my contacts app. Prior to this, after a recent oil change I used the GS911 to reset the service reminder. I’m sure that I’m forgetting a couple of things, but these days it seems that attending to the computerized stuff takes up more time than packing my bags. When I add it all up, it amounts to several hours (though some of it can be left to download/update on its own once you start the process).

I enjoy the benefits of all my electronic gizmos, but sometimes I do  miss the good ol’ days…whatever they were. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2

Software and firmware updates needed for my old carb bike and leather jacket:

• Plus 1 3
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Hosstage said:

Software and firmware updates needed for my old carb bike and leather jacket:

Edit: 

I should get a couple new paper maps, mine are starting to tear on the fold seams. NAV updated.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
6 hours ago, Mike said:

-Nav VI maps;

-Valentine I software;

-Updated REVER app.

At least you have eliminated Garmin Basecamp!  That's enough to make people swear off riding all by itself.

Cap

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/3/2023 at 5:44 AM, Mike said:

Yesterday, as I was preparing for a modest road trip (going to the BMW Performance Center and then the Barber Motorsports Museum), I decided it was time to do those updates that I’ve been putting off:

-Nav VI maps;

-Valentine I software;

-Updated REVER app.

Mike,

1. Update Cardo and Nav maps once a year when its snowing.

2. Ditch the Valentine.  You ain't that fast.  LOL

3.  Not sure about the need to update the airvest.  But, see 1.

4.  Rever looks interesting, but you already have a Nav.

We're dealing with a lot of sh*t.....

30 minutes ago, greiffster said:

Mike,

2. Ditch the Valentine.  You ain't that fast.  LOL

Or not. If you're like me, and I know I am  :facepalm:  :ohboy:  it's the back road limits that one tends to need the help of V1 type devices. Often, these roads have low speed limits that can be safely exceeded on 2 wheels. These roads also lead to small towns and burgs that tend to have shrinking populations, declining tax revenues and massive infrastructure needs. They need revenue where they can get it - especially the towns that are not moto destination types.

Once the 55 national speed limit was lifted, I was sure I didn't have a need for my radar detector anymore (in my car). I *thought* the same thing when I got back into riding. But it's not the top speed kind of protection or interstate speeding protection I need - it's the back roads (where I spend my time) with 35-40 mph limits.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

...  it's the back road limits that ... lead to small towns and burgs that ...need revenue where they can get it...

While riding with another member who shall remain nameless (cough Boxflyer cough), that rider had a radar detector that saved his butt while approaching Lake City on Slumgullion pass.  Unfortunately, that rider had been going so fast that he had left the saner half of his group well behind.  And so I, riding trail behind the slowest among us, was witness to the slow rider cruising into the radar trap and getting nailed.  When we caught up with the lead group, their response was, "you gotta keep up."

:spittake:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
On 10/4/2023 at 9:13 AM, Indy Dave said:

Once the 55 national speed limit was lifted, I was sure I didn't have a need for my radar detector anymore (in my car). I *thought* the same thing when I got back into riding. But it's not the top speed kind of protection or interstate speeding protection I need - it's the back roads (where I spend my time) with 35-40 mph limits.

I've found that gray hair and a contrite look works as well as anything else. Even with the "Surly Sheriff!"

• Plus 1 1
lawnchairboy
On 10/4/2023 at 9:13 AM, Indy Dave said:

They need revenue where they can get it - especially the towns that are not moto destination types.

No way.  Traffic enforcement is ALL about your safety….😂

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

No way.  Traffic enforcement is ALL about your safety….😂

I do know that the city I worked for only got $20 of the fine, no matter how high the fine was......probably different in other states though.

14 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I do know that the city I worked for only got $20 of the fine, no matter how high the fine was......probably different in other states though.

That's good insight.

Here in Indy, as long as you're not more than 15 mph over, you can pay a "fee" $240 I think? to enter into a purgatory period of 6 months I think. If you have no further speeding infractions in that 6 months period, they toss the ticket. There's also a limitation on how often one can do that. I think once in every 24 month period? Or something like that.

• Like 1

Why would a motorcycle BMWST rider be trying to game the system when it comes to Sport Touring?  :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
14 hours ago, Indy Dave said:

That's good insight.

Here in Indy, as long as you're not more than 15 mph over, you can pay a "fee" $240 I think? to enter into a purgatory period of 6 months I think. If you have no further speeding infractions in that 6 months period, they toss the ticket. There's also a limitation on how often one can do that. I think once in every 24 month period? Or something like that.

In Origone it's all at the discretion of the judge.  Most often the best you get is a reduced fine if you show up in person and swear never to THAT again.  

Either I am not riding as fast as I think I am or else you people are FLYING!

We got pulled near Sparta for 16 over, and with a contrite look, a point to my stoma, and showing my VA ID we were underway in 3 minutes with a verbal warning... 

I still use the method Pilgrim taught a while back; in essence, Yes sir, no sir, admit nothing, and don't make a move without first telling the officer what you are doing ( my license is in my pocket, I need to take my gloves off first...).

It seems silly to do that in such detail, however, I think that controlling the tempo of the stop by giving the officer authority at every intersection is a pretty good way to let them know you will not be the reason don't get to go home tonight. 

• Like 3
  • Plus 1 1

Same here, respect, slow announced movements, respect.

I stay on the bike, hands on the bars, until they approach and start instructions.

Last time I got stopped, he asked if I knew why, I said he had to, I was being an idiot. He laughed, got me on my way with no citation.

• Smile 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Joe Frickin' Friday
On 10/3/2023 at 6:44 AM, Mike said:

I enjoy the benefits of all my electronic gizmos, but sometimes I do  miss the good ol’ days…whatever they were. 

When I started riding in '99, I didn't have any electronics.  The nav system was a map in the tank bag window, and music was whatever earworm I could dredge up from my memory.  Did several long-distance tours like that before getting GPS in spring '04, and music a couple of years later. 

You've seen my Driftless routes, so you know each one can contain dozens of turns (not just bends in the road, but the "in 0.2 miles turn left onto county road X" kind of turn).  The first couple of times running the Driftless back in the early 2000s, I was following a highlighter line on that tankbag map.  That was tedious, but doable because my eyeballs were still young and could focus well enough to resolve the tiny route labels on those maps.  Still, you had to be good at quickly estimating distances on the map and finding the label for your next road on the map, as that label was often not immediately adjacent to your next turn on that map.  And then remember for the next few miles that you were looking for signs for county road X.  

These days my eyeballs struggle with reading fine print, so I'm happy to have GPS pouring directions in to my ear in a timely fashion - even if it does require a little bit of electronic prep work prior to departure.  

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

I am with Mitch, @Joe Frickin' Friday on this one. I used to be able to deal with paper maps, but since switching to Garmin GPS units and voice directions in the early 2000, I am spoiled.

The routes I like to take and some of those I also used for the 'ART events, have lots of turn offs and road changes. Even in my best years, I couldn't remember all those turns and by the time I would read a printed out route sheet, I would just quit riding and go home.

So I was a little worried about what to do when I got the new 23 RT with it's TFT setup. Well, so far I have been able to use my routes with the Connected App and get exact directions from who ever that female is inside that app. I guess after years of being abused by the Garmin lady, I am used to being told where to go. :D I have been using tracks created from Routes in BaseCamp, and it has been working great. Next up, I will try routes with some waypoints.

• Like 4

I'm thinking about how having routes via GPS and audible directions have 'cleaned up' our events - in the sense that pretty much everyone is back at a more or less planned time (a flat tire or mechanical issue aside). "In the old days" :old:    you pretty much assumed navigational issues would play a key part on the ride and it was not very concerning when riders were not back at base at a specific time. It was just an accepted part of riding. And let's not forget the 'colorful discussions'  :16:  that would come out of missed turns, or riding in the wrong direction for significant miles, etc. Certainly was a test of one's people skills, and you learn quickly who 'plays well with others'. Intercom has also saved a lot of time when it comes to being off route. No longer do you have to find a safe place to pull over to consult the cumulative wisdom of the group.  :5590:

Perhaps overlooked is the role that GPS has played in these key areas. And that's not to say that errors and disagreements are no more with GPS - oh no my friend! :read:  

And having said that, some of my favorite BMWST stories revolve around the intercom 'debate' regarding exits, roads, turns, experimental roads, riding through glass, and . . one I'm known for - 'It's just a little gravel - I'm sure it'll end just up the steep hill there . . '  :ohboy:

• Like 2
  • Smile 1