IGNORED

Klim Carlsbad Jacket and Pants

Twisties

Well, I'm one year and about 8000 miles into the Klim kit, and its been through its first mishap and its first wash.  So I guess maybe it's time for a quick review, even though I have not yet experienced any prolonged rain.  The Carlsbad are a single fused Cordura and GoreTex product line sold with no additional layers.  The gear is heavily built, and like all GoreTex products, a bit stiff.  A rain layer should be unnecessary with the GoreTex construction, and I guess most of us have other things we can use underneath for warmth.  I've ridden through temperatures in the low-40's up to 105 degrees F with the Klim kit and so far haven't used any additional layers.  For prolonged riding below 50 degrees F, I have found myself getting chilled, but always expecting warmer conditions ahead have not yet stopped to add something.  The bike is wired for a heated jacket, but I haven't used it yet with the Carlsbad gear.

The Klim kit comes with a variety of zippered vents.  When closed they are waterproof, open they allow for airflow.  Since I can't reach or adjust the back vents when I'm riding, I mostly leave these open, even when it's chilly.  With the front vents closed there really doesn't seem to be any airflow, and I haven't felt the need to mess with them.  In front, with a bit of practice, I am able to adjust the vents without stopping, at least on rural highways with no traffic in sight.  The fabric breathes well, and is surprisingly cool.  I start opening vents around 70 degrees F, and by about 85-90 degrees F they are all open.  I found the kit more comfortable at 105 F than in my prior air mesh gear in similar temps.   It's very impressive in that regard.

Pockets are excellent and there are several nifty features, such as the medical info pocket on the sleeve, and hooks to hold the collar open for ventilation.  

I dropped the bike when my foot slipped on a piece of half eaten pastry at a gas pump.  I fell into the pump and was contorted between the bike and pump.  The only damage to the suit that I can find is a hardly noticeable scrape in the 3M Reflective stripes on the shoulder, where evidently I scraped up against something. 

After a year of street and some dirt riding it was getting pretty grubby, and I washed it.  Per Klim's directions, treated the worst areas with SprayNWash, threw it in the machine and set three extra rinses (Klim says to run an extra wash and rinse cycle).  Then, into the dryer, and extra dry time for Durable Water Resistant coating in the Cordura, as Klim directs.  Came out looking new.  Even the Magnesium Chloride Snot came right off. 

The bottom line is that after a year of use, the gear still looks and functions as new, is comfy in a wide range of conditions without messing with layers, and generally impresses. 

I do have two areas which I think deserve improvement.   Basically, to sum that up, putting the kit on and taking it off is a project. 

Klim use zippered gussets in the crotch and cuff on the pants, rather than the full length leg zippers and a crotch zipper in my prior gear.  Consequently, the pant must go on before the boot, and the boot must come off before the pant.  For bathroom stops the crotch gusset is less convenient.  This setup may keep you dryer, it may keep you safer, IDK, but it is considerably more difficult than what I had been used to. 

The second thing is the zipper that joins the jacket to the pant.  It is hard to get it started.  I'm getting better at it, now after a year, but sometimes still have to ask another rider to help start it.  Basically, you can only struggle with it so long before the heavy stiff fabric induces fatigue and you know it's a lost cause.  It could be improved by making the zipper longer or using a different zipper with larger and more forgiving ends, or by making the pant attachment wider with more play.  As it is, the zipper ends must align perfectly and the system is doing all it can to ensure this does not happen in your lifetime.  It really defeats the purpose of a two-piece kit, and I do everything I can to avoid taking the jacket off during the day. 

While I am disappointed with that zipper, I like the gear for it's overall design, nifty features, and performance.   All-in-all, I would buy it again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Actually, I'm not sure the Cordura and Goretex are fused.  Also, there is an integral liner.  What I mean by single layer is no liner jacket and no additional waterproof layer.  You put on a single garment.

• Like 1