IGNORED

Missing Key for an RTP

BABABeemer

I just bought a 2016 RTP at auction that is missing the ignition key. I was trying to find out if I need to purchase a fob along with the key. The parts.man at Beemer Parts says that the vin shows that it doesn’t have the keyless system so just a metal key would be sufficient. Does that sound right? With all the posts about problems with batteries in the fob system, I could see where the police wouldn’t want to deal with a keyless system. Here is a photo of the ignition.

IMG_7484.jpeg

Looks just like mine which doesn't have a FOB either. (I don't believe that matters.)

Most importantly, I see no reason for the parts guys info to be inaccurate.

• Plus 1 1

I had a 14R1200RT, it too was keyed.   I did have a fob it's only used to open locks (bike was equipped with central locking) and set on/off alarm.  The bike key had a chip in it, without that key the bike won't start.  I don't know if the RTP has the same security.  . 

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. I ordered a replacement key with chip for $205 from BeemerParts. All they needed was photo of DL and Bill of Sale.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DBULL said:

$205?  For a key?   That's crazy.  I'll put another tether on my fob

Yeah, the fobs were $500!

What purpose is the chip if the bike never had a FOB, or am I missing something? Do all systems require it regardless if security equipped?

1 hour ago, Stiggy said:

What purpose is the chip if the bike never had a FOB, or am I missing something? Do all systems require it regardless if security equipped?

If the chip is not present or is not the correct chip, the bike will not start.  The lock cylinder and the actual ignition switch are separate components.  Requiring the chip prevents starting by removing the lock.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

So I found a key in the storage compartment but when you turn on the ignition it acts like there is no battery hooked up even though the new battery is installed. Is that the way the bike is supposed to react if the key chip is missing or disabled?

Problem solved! I went to Sierra BMW and talked to Chris. He was kind enough to show me one of their RTPs that was in for service. I immediately noticed that it had a cable hooked up to the ignition switch that was missing on mine! Chris took the time to unhook the cable so I could see what connector to look for. When I got home I remembered that when I received the bike, that cable had been disconnected and laying near where the radio rack was. I had taped it over and hidden it away. As soon as I hooked up that cable in the hidden receptacle, everything came on with the key! Thanks for all your input! 

• Like 3