IGNORED

Engine cuts off at 2 minutes and able to restart

PAGS

Hi all, my first post and hope there might be someone that can help me with this... 

Bike : 2003 GS     54k miles   

Relevant info :    8 k miles ago ( 16 mo ) new HES ,   new hoses in tank and supply and return to tank..   new pump and filter ..    ran fine except for the whine from the pump.   

Current situation :       replaced the fuel pump  only  to stop the whine. ( same filter )  ............... for full disclosure also changed the air filter at that time.......     since then bike starts fine but now it runs anywhere from 1 to  3 min..and stops cold..      Usually cuts out just over 2 min...       If I let it sit for about 10 sec it starts and runs again until it stops..    I was able to get a video of it stopping and then trying to restart until it runs again.   It seems to starve for fuel for several seconds and then starts and runs again for 2 min...    I am just stumped..

What I tried :    I removed mesh bag in case that was starving it, but no change...  Checked all the hoses and clamps in tank and all seem correct... tight clamps and fresh, intact hoses..      I swapped back to the original pump to get back to a baseline of proper running. and still have the same condition..     

thanks for any suggestions...   

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0e7792JT-w1lZ2Z29GfRiF3Tg

When it quits, open gas cap. Did you hear a whoosh? Try starting immediately. The vent tube may be plugged. Just a shot in the dark. 

ah yes, I forgot to mention,  I ran the bike with the cap open and no change.   Pulling vacuum in tank could lead to this kind of thing..   thanks !!!    shots in the dark are fine..   thats where I am at..  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, PAGS said:

Hi all, my first post and hope there might be someone that can help me with this... 

Bike : 2003 GS     54k miles   

Relevant info :    8 k miles ago ( 16 mo ) new HES ,   new hoses in tank and supply and return to tank..   new pump and filter ..    ran fine except for the whine from the pump.   

Current situation :       replaced the fuel pump  only  to stop the whine. ( same filter )  ............... for full disclosure also changed the air filter at that time.......     since then bike starts fine but now it runs anywhere from 1 to  3 min..and stops cold..      Usually cuts out just over 2 min...       If I let it sit for about 10 sec it starts and runs again until it stops..    I was able to get a video of it stopping and then trying to restart until it runs again.   It seems to starve for fuel for several seconds and then starts and runs again for 2 min...    I am just stumped..

What I tried :    I removed mesh bag in case that was starving it, but no change...  Checked all the hoses and clamps in tank and all seem correct... tight clamps and fresh, intact hoses..      I swapped back to the original pump to get back to a baseline of proper running. and still have the same condition..     

thanks for any suggestions...   

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0e7792JT-w1lZ2Z29GfRiF3Tg

Morning PAGS

Try unplugging the o2 sensor, just over 2 minutes running is usually when the o2 sensor comes on-line. After a stall then restart it typically takes a shorter time for the o2 sensor to come back on-line again. 

A failed or failing o2 sensor can easily cause an engine stall when the Motronic is fueling to it. . 

• Like 1

BIG THANKS Oracle..!

after unplugging the connector it ran for over  7  minutes...   previously it never made it to 3 min.......   PLugged it and stopped at 1: 25 min...  

unplugged and I stopped engine at over 5 min run time...       

this is the issue..  

BIG thanks again for this... 

I feel great>>  :) 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, PAGS said:

BIG THANKS Oracle..!

after unplugging the connector it ran for over  7  minutes...   previously it never made it to 3 min.......   PLugged it and stopped at 1: 25 min...  

unplugged and I stopped engine at over 5 min run time...       

this is the issue..  

BIG thanks again for this... 

I feel great>>  :) 

Evening PAGS

That is good news.

When you remove the o2 sensor see if the o2 wire pigtail was hanging down on the catalytic converter. If it was/is then be sure re-route & secure the replacement so that can't happen again. 

An OEM sensor is quite expensive but a universal sensor will work just fine. Just be sure splice the wires correctly as most universal sensors use different wire colors for the heater & sensor side circuits so don't just match wire colors. 

Also, if using a universal sensor DO NOT solder the wire connections as the o2 sensor gets it's reference air down through the wire strands & soldering the connections blocks that needed external reference air. 

Added:  If your o2 sensor pigtail is running along or near the R/H spark plug wire then reroute it to be away from the spark plug wire then plug it in & retry running the engine. If the plug wire is too close to the o2 sensor pigtail that can drive the engine fueling crazy.

Many thanks for the added advice Oracle.

I saw there are some used sensors with the proper connecter on Ebay..    seems low risk...  Do you recommend a new universal sensor instead of used OEM ??   thanks !  

8 hours ago, PAGS said:

Many thanks for the added advice Oracle.

I saw there are some used sensors with the proper connecter on Ebay..    seems low risk...  Do you recommend a new universal sensor instead of used OEM ??   thanks !  

Morning PAGS

Nothing wrong with an E-Bay sensor if you get a decent one. Problem is, a lot of the stuff on E-Bay comes from crashed or parted motorcycles so you could easily get a lazy or failed o2 sensor. 

There is no real reliable way to test used o2 sensors so who knows what you will get. A good E-Bay seller will probably refund you if you get a bad one but it is still a lot of work to install just to have to do it again. 

Also, nothing wrong with a name brand universal sensor as long as it is installed correctly with proper wire splices.

Euromotoelectrics is not a bad place to buy an o2 sensor if you just want a plug & play, just make sure that if you buy from them that you get the correct connector as your 2003 could have either the older larger round connector or new smaller eared type connector. So make sure that you buy an o2 sensor with the correct connector for your 1150 GS.  

Thanks Oracle 

All true what you said about used items,  and thats why I kept looking ,, Found a universal sensor for $79 at Beemer Boneyard and then at EME has an OEM for $ 99 marked down to 89 so thats what I will do..  O2 sensor,  cable and connector  

Yes  important about the connector and yes crimping  wires is good if the crimp is solid ,  but also thats just another possible place for a failure..   I feel most comfortable with  what EME has so  thats my direction.

I used to work in the connector industry and those items are highly engineered and need to be terminated correctly or it will fail over time..     

Again many thanks! 

On 9/25/2023 at 9:36 PM, Skywagon said:

DR… if soldering is a no no, is the correct way to crimp using the metal part of a connector like you have shown us before?

Morning David

Personally I use dedicated splice clips. Those are designed for the proper connection of 2 wires. But to achieve a solid lasting connection you need to use the PROPER crimping tool at the correct crimping pressure. The proper crimping tool doesn't just squeeze the clip tight but actually folds the clip ears in to make a very solid connection.  (personably I haven't ever had a failure using a good quality splice clip & the proper crimping tool) 

Another possibility is to use special butt connectors designed for ABS speed sensor wire damage repair, those are heat shrink/glue covered so seal moisture out, see way  below__

Splice clip use showing proper crimp, see below___

p0zoBE3.jpg

You can make your own splice clip from the center of a terminal as long the crimping tails are correct for double wire size that is being spliced. 

Splice clip made from center of terminal, see below__

D0l5rKx.jpg

JQm0yJ7.jpg

• Like 1

Oracle,

the home made butt splice from modifying a terminal is very clever...   !!

got that one tucked away in my mind  in case its needed

nice documentation too...  

Update on the stalling... installed the new O2 from EME   ...   Now it stops at approx 20-30 sec   

I scanned with GS 911 and the O2 sensor  is  running above 1100  mv...        The one I replaced gave a similar result...    

unplugged the O2 and I ran it to 3 min and I stopped it  .   So I think it would keep going.. 

Also now the bike fires up immediately after stopping ,  with old sensor it would not fire for at least 5-10 sec   

I am completely baffled by this.. 

Open to any ideas.......  thanks