IGNORED

New to the Bimmer Bike World.

The Muffin Man

The Muffin Man

Good evening from Augusta GA. New BMW bike owner here.  I have the 2003 R1150RT. I have questions lol. 

So I got this thing yesterday. Me and the fiance rode on my bagger to go get this.

On the way home I noticed the 6th gear stretching out like it was slipping. Now I know it's an older bike but it was a one owner from a retired gentleman who seemed to take care of it. Is this common on these models? In also fixing to out some new rubber on her what's a good tire? I'm looking for a phone mount for this thing also I can't seem to locate any that looks like it would work. Last thing are the heated seats interchangeable with my bike? I have the heated grips and the radio but I'd like to have the heated seats gor my fiance on cooler longer trips. Any help would be appreciated.   Here's a pic of my bike,  oh that reminds me there is a silver handle on the side with the clutch that attaches to nothing it's in front of that bag. Whats that for? Refer to pic.

20230922_170828.jpg

I sold my 1150 in 2013!so honestly, I’ve forgotten more than I remember. I’ll try though. 

Sixth gear is really tall and probably should not be needed below 70mph. If you are in sixth and when you go wide open, if the engine starts running away you have clutch disk slipping. It could be worn but most likely the clutch slave cylinder would be leaking and can ruin it. Changing the clutch is a big deal. Look at your clutch slave cylinder and see if it is leaking. If it is fix it immediately. There is a way to inspect the clutch involving pulling the starter (easy job) but will save that for a better expert than me. 

Seat pillion heat. If I remember correctly, there is an on/off switch for the pillion. I might be confusing that with another bike

Phone… you will need an external mount like a ram mount. When I had my 1150 I just kept it in the left front compartment. The picture is the mount I use today and is fairly popular. There are some stem mounts that will fit in the holes on your bars. 

There are a lot of 1150 owners on here so standby for better info

If DR responds, write down everything he says as the best info on the planet. If you message me your email, I’ll send you a few documents I saved from my 1150 bike. 

PS.. the 1150 is one of the best looking bikes ever

533CA3A0-9C33-4FE8-8F32-8A58D0B0E867.jpeg

9 hours ago, The Muffin Man said:

Good evening from Augusta GA. New BMW bike owner here.  I have the 2003 R1150RT. I have questions lol. 

So I got this thing yesterday. Me and the fiance rode on my bagger to go get this.

On the way home I noticed the 6th gear stretching out like it was slipping. Now I know it's an older bike but it was a one owner from a retired gentleman who seemed to take care of it. Is this common on these models? In also fixing to out some new rubber on her what's a good tire? I'm looking for a phone mount for this thing also I can't seem to locate any that looks like it would work. Last thing are the heated seats interchangeable with my bike? I have the heated grips and the radio but I'd like to have the heated seats gor my fiance on cooler longer trips. Any help would be appreciated.   Here's a pic of my bike,  oh that reminds me there is a silver handle on the side with the clutch that attaches to nothing it's in front of that bag. Whats that for? Refer to pic.

Morning  Muffin Man

If you want heated seats you will have to go aftermarket or buy a seat set that is heated (like Sargent or similar).  Cee Baily used to install heating in the factory seats but that was long ago so I'm not sure if that is still an option. 

On the phone holder, that can depend on what type phone that you have & where you mount it. Some cell phones don't do well on BMW boxer motorcycles with solid mounts as the vibrations & buzzes can kill the phones gyroscope. To be safe you might look into a phone mount that reduces phone vibration & absorbs the phone killing inputs. There are a few offerings but I am unfamiliar with specifics as I carry my phone in my pocket. The damping type phone mounts usually have a rubber isolator to disconnect the phone from the vibration source. 

As mentioned above that silver handle is to more easily get the motorcycle on the center stand,  you PULL UP on the handle while PUSHING DOWN on the center stand pedal with your foot, once you figure out push/pull part the bike goes up on the center stand easily.  

Now for that 6th gear issue.  You need to tell us in way more detail EXACTLY what is happening in 6th gear, is it slipping, or jumping, or is the tac just reading something different than you think it should? (there is a big difference in gearing between 5th & 6th on the 1150RT as 6th is basically an overdrive gear)

The BMW 1150 bikes did (do) have issues with leaking slave cylinders causing clutch slippage (usually requires a new slave cylinder & new clutch disk to repair) but that typically slips in more gears than just 6th.

The 1150 6 speeds also have a number of issues with the transmission input shaft splines/clutch hub splines stripping. That can start out feeling like the trans is jumping in & out of gear then progress into a total disconnect with no drive at all. Again, this isn't typically just a 6th gear thing but usually happens in all gears. THIS is serious & expensive so you need to verify that this is or isn't happening as it will definitely leave you stranded. 

The 1150RT also have some problems with the 2 piece drive shaft slipping at the rubber isolation joint, but again, this isn't a 6th gear thing as it happens under high load in any gear. Once it starts slipping it usually doesn't take long to totally fail.  

So, we need WAY more info from you on your 6th gear problem to advise you in more detail. 

The Muffin Man

Ok so when I'm in 6th gear and have more than myself on it it tends to slip when I try to accelerate or once it warms up I can see the difference. When it's cold I have no issues with slippage.

Again once it warms up and use been riding for around 30 to 45 minutes I start to see that it happens in random gears not consistently but just at random. 

27 minutes ago, The Muffin Man said:

Ok so when I'm in 6th gear and have more than myself on it it tends to slip when I try to accelerate or once it warms up I can see the difference. When it's cold I have no issues with slippage.

Again once it warms up and use been riding for around 30 to 45 minutes I start to see that it happens in random gears not consistently but just at random. 

Afternoon  Muffin Man

Can you see the slippage (RPM increase) in the tachometer?

If it takes that long to start slipping then possibly something with the clutch hydraulics. 

If the past owner messed with the clutch master cylinder push rod adjustment to get the clutch to release closer to the grip then possibly the little bleed port in the master cylinder is not opening up & trapping fluid in the system with the clutch lever released.  

If it isn't trapping hydraulic fluid then expanding with heat when riding then about the only thing left is a clutch issue (like a worn clutch plate or a contaminated clutch disk) 

You really need to get into this & find the reason for the slippage or you will be taking the motorcycle apart & replacing the clutch. If the disk is contaminated you might end up doing that anyhow.  

The Muffin Man

Yes sir it starts slipping around 4 to 4.5k.

So should I be checking out the clutch master cylinder and if so is that the compartment by the hazard light?

43 minutes ago, The Muffin Man said:

Yes sir it starts slipping around 4 to 4.5k.

So should I be checking out the clutch master cylinder and if so is that the compartment by the hazard light?

Evening  Muffin Man

You need to understand how the clutch master cylinder works before you can understand if it is adjusted correctly.

Ther is a push rod between the hand lever & the piston inside the master cylinder.  That needs to have just enough slack at rest to allow the piston to FULLY return out to it's out-stop. 

yeLkSot.jpg

wOI3S0v.jpg

• Plus 1 1
The Muffin Man

Yeah I have no idea how that set was. Thanks for the pics. Should I empty the reservoir to get a better look? Also what color should the clutch fluid be?

9 hours ago, The Muffin Man said:

Yeah I have no idea how that set was. Thanks for the pics. Should I empty the reservoir to get a better look? Also what color should the clutch fluid be?

Morning  Muffin Man

The fluid color somewhat depends on the color of the Dot 4 brake fluid installed.  But black or real dark is not good as it indicates the slave cylinder is bleeding grease into the fluid.

If the fluid is clear enough to see the small hole in the bottom of the reservoir then no need to drain it. 

You REALLY should just go ahead & flush bleed the clutch hydraulics just to have good clean fluid in the system. 

You need to know what you are looking at when it comes to diagnosing an incorrectly adjusted master cylinder, or a piston that isn't fully returning to it's out-stop.

With clean fluid in the master cylinder reservoir you should be able to see a very small squirt of fluid out of that small hole in the bottom of the reservoir as you lightly move the hand lever (very small squirt with very little lever movement)