IGNORED

Front indicators don't work but all other lighting is working as it should.

Anson D

Hello all I had a drop in my drive way on the left side of my new to me 2009 BMW r1200rt and now the front indicators both don't work but the rear indicators and all other lighting is fine. Any ideas would be very helpful. 

The wiring for all the fairing lights goes through a six conductor plug on the back of the headlight shell, between the high beam and the right low beam. Might have gotten knocked loose?  Blue/Black wire for front right signal, Blue/Gray for front left signal.  If the other lights work, the ground wire (Brown) should be OK.

Screen capture from a MAX BMW video shows the location:

image.png.2430e0715818af953178d06af67d6730.png

Seems unlikely but it's the only thing I can think of right now.

12 hours ago, Anson D said:

Hello all I had a drop in my drive way on the left side of my new to me 2009 BMW r1200rt and now the front indicators both don't work but the rear indicators and all other lighting is fine. Any ideas would be very helpful. 

Morning  Anson D

Do the rear indicators flash or are they just on? 

If it fell over hard enough then you might have fractured both front bulb filaments. 

If you have orange front turn signals then the bulbs are 21 watt clear long life, if you have clear front turn signals then the bulbs are 21 watt orange standard duty.  

Otherwise, as Larry mentioned, you might have knocked a wire loose either from the drop or when picking the motorcycle back up. 

Hey guys the rear indicators flash and I have replaced both bulbs even though the filaments seemed fine. I found the plug on the back of the headlight shell I then unplugged it but all seems fine so I plugged it back in and nothing. I'm not sure what else it could be but I thank you for your time and help.  If anything else comes to mind please let me know.

1 hour ago, Anson D said:

Hey guys the rear indicators flash and I have replaced both bulbs even though the filaments seemed fine. I found the plug on the back of the headlight shell I then unplugged it but all seems fine so I plugged it back in and nothing. I'm not sure what else it could be but I thank you for your time and help.  If anything else comes to mind please let me know.

Morning  Anson D

Well that eliminates a number of things. 

The left front & right front indicator have separate wires running back to the ZFE module (central chassis electronics module) so the chances of BOTH of those failing at the same time is very low. 

So that probably means that you either have a low (ground) issue or something is not right inside the ZFE module. 

First thing to try is to see if your hazard lights flash all 4 turn signal lights. This could also reset the ZFE internal electronics.

If this doesn't work then make sure the brown wires going to the each side front turn signal bulb has continuity to chassis ground.  

Hazzard flashers .jpg

I put the hazard lights on and only the rear indicators light up. I also took a look at the ZFE module under the gas tank everything seems fine I unplugged and used contact cleaning but still nothing.  A multi meter indicates there is a ground at least on the left I didn't check the right but the bulb lit up when I went from positive side of the battery to positive side of the indicator socket.  Thanks again I'm not giving up yet I will get back to it tomorrow

11 hours ago, Anson D said:

I put the hazard lights on and only the rear indicators light up. I also took a look at the ZFE module under the gas tank everything seems fine I unplugged and used contact cleaning but still nothing.  A multi meter indicates there is a ground at least on the left I didn't check the right but the bulb lit up when I went from positive side of the battery to positive side of the indicator socket.  Thanks again I'm not giving up yet I will get back to it tomorrow

Morning Anson D

Well, now you are getting into the oddball area.

Any chance that your motorcycle has an aftermarket theft alarm system? Some of those flash the turn signals so the signal circuit passes through or is accessed by the theft deterrent system. 

Otherwise, my next move would be to unplug the ZFE  connector (never add B+ to any circuit going into the ZFE).  Then locate the  blue/red & blue/black wires   (left front T/S =  blue/red __ right front T/S = blue black) .

Then apply a resisted 12v to each of those wires to see if the front turn signal bulbs light. Personally, I use an H-7  headlight bulb as a resistor. The H-7 allows enough current flow to light a 21 watt turn signal bulb but IF by chance there is a short to ground in the front turn signal wires it will just light the H-7 bulb & not burn up the wire harness.  

If the front bulbs light then your problem is with the ZFE itself or something closely related.

On the front turn signal lights, you are basically looking for an open, OR possibly a short to ground as the ZFE has protection built in so will turn off connected circuits that draw too many amps. 

Think your right ZFE is most likely the issue .Would it be crazy to consider running new wires off the back indicators to the front? Getting desperate not much riding season left here in Canada.  

4 minutes ago, Anson D said:

Would it be crazy to consider running new wires off the back indicators to the front? Getting desperate not much riding season left here in Canada.  

Afternoon Anson D

You could possibly do that, but you will probably have to convert either the front or rear to (non resisted) LED bulbs as the ZFE monitors circuit current.

If the current draw on either side rear is higher than the ZFE thinks it should be then it will shut that side circuit down.

You can try it with the stock front tungsten bulbs but my guess is the ZFE won't like that. 

Shouldn't there be a fault indication if the blinkers are not working. Tha canbus resistance check should / could say something?? 

Just a thought as it always gives a burned bulb indication or "LED" without resistor fault indication. 

H

9 hours ago, bimmers said:

Shouldn't there be a fault indication if the blinkers are not working. Tha canbus resistance check should / could say something?? 

Just a thought as it always gives a burned bulb indication or "LED" without resistor fault indication. 

H

Morning  bimmers

The CanBus doesn't have the ability to check anything including resistance as the CanBus is strictly a communication system between modules, or between modules & controls. 

The light-out checking is done by the ZFE (Central Chassis Module), the only involvement of the CAN is communication between the ZFE & the dash module (Kombi) with the ZFE telling the dash to illuminate the light-out warning on the dash. 

It could/would probably display a light out warning if it actually had a bulb burnt out but with both bulbs being new  (replaced) & the low (ground) verified) then it doesn't actually have a burnt-out bulb, the ZFE just won't light & flash what is there.  

Usual dash (Kombi) warning shown for a FRONT bulb burnt out, see below_____

Light-Out.jpg

• Plus 1 1

Well thanks for all your help and input guys. I have all indicators working now the rear are the normal bulbs and the fronts have been replaced with LED bulbs. The new wires are running from the back indicators to the front traveling on the same path as the wiring harness. Probably not the right fix but it's the right now fix.  I have attached a picture of the new LED bulbs in case anyone else is looking. Think they are about $20 bucks for 4 that's Canadian dollars.Thanks again

20230926_142336_HDR[1].jpg