IGNORED

Cable from headlight adjustment knob to back of lights, broken.

MoPops

I broke it today.  I was installing the three Cyclops bulbs into my 2011 RT.  Trying to get the cable reattached to the plastic part behind the lights, I pulled to hard, and the little plastic arm that grips the cable broke.  I went ahead and put everything back together, without reattaching the cable for headlight adjustment.  The Cyclops lights are great, by the way.   Can I still adjust the light angle?  There’s a plastic nut right next to the plastic arm that broke.  I’m assuming that plastic nut and shaft must do something.   Hopefully once I figure out a way to adjust them, they’ll stay put.   I just really don’t want to tear it all apart again.  Ha!  
Thanks

LOL, I did the same in as you on 2010 R1200RT, except I broke the nut by the adjusting knob. I currently have it kind of glued, but I suspect eventually I am going to have to replace some parts. But at this point you cannot adjust the light angle. Note that the adjustment is only need if and when you carry a pillion and that changes the height of the tail end of the bike, ie sag and causes your lights to point higher than normal.

• Plus 1 1
11 hours ago, MoPops said:

I broke it today.  I was installing the three Cyclops bulbs into my 2011 RT.  Trying to get the cable reattached to the plastic part behind the lights, I pulled to hard, and the little plastic arm that grips the cable broke.  I went ahead and put everything back together, without reattaching the cable for headlight adjustment.  The Cyclops lights are great, by the way.   Can I still adjust the light angle?  There’s a plastic nut right next to the plastic arm that broke.  I’m assuming that plastic nut and shaft must do something.   Hopefully once I figure out a way to adjust them, they’ll stay put.   I just really don’t want to tear it all apart again.  Ha!  
Thanks

Morning   MoPops

That plastic nut that lever moves is the actual base headlight vertical adjuster. Hopefully you can use that to set your beam vertical adjustment. 

The lever is not serviced by BMW so if you need a new lever you will probably have to buy a used headlight from E-Bay then see if you can (carefully) transfer the lever over. 

If you broke the cable holding bracket on the headlight assembly itself then that is also not serviced & that will take a new or used headlight assembly to replace.  But, you might be able to make something out of metal that you can use to attach the cable to what is remaining of the original cable stand-off bracket. 

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Etienne Lau said:

LOL, I did the same in as you on 2010 R1200RT, except I broke the nut by the adjusting knob. I currently have it kind of glued, but I suspect eventually I am going to have to replace some parts. But at this point you cannot adjust the light angle. Note that the adjustment is only need if and when you carry a pillion and that changes the height of the tail end of the bike, ie sag and causes your lights to point higher than normal.

I never have anyone riding with me, so that’s good. But I do like to travel with all my camping stuff.  I’ll just have to see if I’m blinding oncoming traffic.  Then I’ll have to figure out a way to adjust it.   Hopefully turning the plastic nut next to the broken plastic arm will get it done.   
Thanks

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Morning   MoPops

That plastic nut that lever moves is the actual base headlight vertical adjuster. Hopefully you can use that to set your beam vertical adjustment. 

The lever is not serviced by BMW so if you need a new lever you will probably have to buy a used headlight from E-Bay then see if you can (carefully) transfer the lever over. 

If you broke the cable holding bracket on the headlight assembly itself then that is also not serviced & that will take a new or used headlight assembly to replace.  But, you might be able to make something out of metal that you can use to attach the cable to what is remaining of the original cable stand-off bracket. 

Thank you.   I’ll have to tear into it again, if my lights are aimed too high.  Hopefully adjusting the plastic nut will get the lights set properly.   Interesting the cable holding bracket isn’t serviced by bmw.  I’m actually a bit surprised about that.  I should have tried a fix when I had it apart.  Kind of kicking myself for not doing it then.  I’m not a mechanically inclined individual.  I was concerned I’d never get it back together, if I didn’t get on it.  I had piles of parts and screws everywhere.  If I would have waited, I could see me hauling it into the dealer with a bag of parts.. Luckily I don’t ride very often after dark, but as our days get shorter, I’m more inclined to be out.  
I do like the Cyclops lights.  Very bright.  The car and truck drivers will hopefully see me, if I’m not blinding them.  

• Plus 1 1
23 hours ago, jjpen said:

that 13mm nut is the rough adjustment for the light assembly and you can get by just fine without the dash adjust in my opinion.

I checked yesterday.  I can easily get a socket on that plastic nut.  If I do need to change the angle (up/down) of the lights, I should be able to loosen or tighten that nut.  

6 hours ago, MoPops said:

I checked yesterday.  I can easily get a socket on that plastic nut.  If I do need to change the angle (up/down) of the lights, I should be able to loosen or tighten that nut.  

Afternoon MoPops

Actually the best tool for adjusting that light adjuster nut is the oil filler cap wrench that came with the motorcycle. The inside of the tringle on oil filler cap tool is just the right size to fit the headlight adjuster nut.  

• Plus 1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon MoPops

Actually the best tool for adjusting that light adjuster nut is the oil filler cap wrench that came with the motorcycle. The inside of the tringle on oil filler cap tool is just the right size to fit the headlight adjuster nut.  

Thanks!  

• Plus 1 1