IGNORED

Cardo Packtalk Edge Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Cardo Packtalk Edge Review intro

Cardo has been in the Bluetooth communication universe since 2003 when the company began making headsets for cell phones. While riding to work one day, the founder came up with the idea to bring the technology inside motorcycle helmets. In 2004 Cardo introduced the world’s first Bluetooth motorcycle headset.

After my previous communication system started having issues, I did some research and decided to give Cardo’s Packtalk Edge a go. And I could not be happier with it.

Installing the JBL speakers and Packtalk mount was a breeze, but what really impressed me was the magnetic mount. Simply bring the headset near the mount, and it almost pulls the headset from your hand and locks it into place. It’s also easy to remove by simply pushing down a lever and sliding the unit forward. Setup was a breeze using the Cardo app on my phone, which has user guides and lets you link up to other riders’ headsets. Cardo’s Dynamic Mesh Communication (DMC) technology works great, and once linked to other riders, it doesn’t have to be done again. Even if someone drops out of range, the comm will auto-reconnect. Further, if the unit is turned off, it automatically relinks with the group when turned back on. It’s all much, much easier than the comm sets of old.

The 40mm JBL speakers’ sound quality is great and performs well whether you’re jamming to music or chatting over the intercom. I really like the ability to adjust music and intercom or cell volumes independently, too. The Natural Voice Operation engine feature works flawlessly, and commands such as “Hey Cardo, volume up” keep your hands free. There’s also the ability to access the functionality of your cell phone using Siri or Google Assistant at the push of a button.

Cardo claims a 13-hour talk time, which I’ve verified. On 10–12-hour rides, I’ll still have battery life left at end of day. If you get up one morning and want to ride but forgot to charge the Packtalk Edge, a quick 20-minute charge will give you two hours, but you can achieve a full charge in under two hours.

The Packtalk Edge is waterproof, dustproof and comes with a three-year warranty. You can link with 15 other riders, and DMC technology works up to a mile range. The Bluetooth technology also lets you link up with other brands of communicators.

Cardo Packtalk Edge Review 1

Cardosystems.com | Also available on Amazon.com 

MSRP: $389.95

PROS:

• Magnetic mount is awesome
  • Excellent sound quality
  • Voice-activated features make the unit easy to control

CONS:

• When riding at speed the music volume would fluctuate because of wind noise in the microphone. A simple “Hey Cardo, mute microphone” did fix the issue 

View the full article