IGNORED

Oil Leak

RK Ryder

I am reposting what I wrote yesterday (under engine cleaning) regarding a lot of oil I found under my left cylinder head. Looking for an answer regarding if a fix is possible, or will the cost be prohibitive.

The lower part of the engine, (especially under at the back of the left cylinder normally out of sight under the plastic) was coated with what appeared to be oil. No oil drippings under the bike which has not moved for a couple of months. Of course it appears that the belly pan protected the floor.

I plan on taking photos later today of the mostly clean area for a later set for comparison. If the gasket needs replacing (not the outer head gasket) where the left cylinder meets the engine (a job I’d hire out), how labour intensive would that be (hours) for an experienced BMW mechanic?

The only other area which could cause such a mess might be the sight glass. I doubt this as most of the mess was under the backend of the left cylinder close  to the engine.

Opinions? 🤷‍♂️

Paul

7C3234B0-12F5-4C04-A7D0-28B3B513E6C8.jpeg

I'm not sure, but I think your oil sending unit is on that side above the cylinder.  That would be the first thing I checked.  It doesnt take much oil to make a big mess and look worse than it is.  I doubt there is more than a tablespoon on the belly pan.  DR or someone more experienced with that bike will be along shortly.

A wild guess on cylinder removal and replacement would be about 2 hours with an experienced tech with the right tools.  I can do it on similar airplane horizontally opposed in about 1 hour to remove (once all the other stuff is out of the way), some time to clean everything up and replace the gasket, compress the rings, etc.  

1 hour ago, RK Ryder said:

I am reposting what I wrote yesterday (under engine cleaning) regarding a lot of oil I found under my left cylinder head. Looking for an answer regarding if a fix is possible, or will the cost be prohibitive.

The lower part of the engine, (especially under at the back of the left cylinder normally out of sight under the plastic) was coated with what appeared to be oil. No oil drippings under the bike which has not moved for a couple of months. Of course it appears that the belly pan protected the floor.

I plan on taking photos later today of the mostly clean area for a later set for comparison. If the gasket needs replacing (not the outer head gasket) where the left cylinder meets the engine (a job I’d hire out), how labour intensive would that be (hours) for an experienced BMW mechanic?

The only other area which could cause such a mess might be the sight glass. I doubt this as most of the mess was under the backend of the left cylinder close  to the engine.

Opinions? 🤷‍♂️

Paul

Afternoon Paul 

You really need to clean it up then try to find where it is actually leaking. 

As for the leak, it could be a cylinder base gasket area or you might look up on top to see if the L/H cam chain tensioner is seeping or loose.   Those can leak then run down along the engine case. 

Thanks Skywagon and dirtrider.

If it should be cylinder base gasket and only two or three hours labour, that would be a welcome and affordable fix.

I did do the cleanup (as best as possible) and took pics of the cleanup so that I can monitor from whence the oil doth cometh. Not been riding this summer due leg muscle issues but hoping that with physio I will be soon able to put some distance on the Oilhead (before snowfall) to determine exactly where the leak is. I’d rather lose the bike for some time over the winter than during next spring or summer. I intend to ride it cross country to the MOA’s Oregon Rally next June. Hoping poor air quality from next summer’s forest fires doesn’t cancel that trip. 

Paul

20 minutes ago, RK Ryder said:

Thanks Skywagon and dirtrider.

If it should be cylinder base gasket and only two or three hours labour, that would be a welcome and affordable fix.

I did do the cleanup (as best as possible) and took pics of the cleanup so that I can monitor from whence the oil doth cometh. Not been riding this summer due leg muscle issues but hoping that with physio I will be soon able to put some distance on the Oilhead (before snowfall) to determine exactly where the leak is. I’d rather lose the bike for some time over the winter than during next spring or summer. I intend to ride it cross country to the MOA’s Oregon Rally next June. Hoping poor air quality from next summer’s forest fires doesn’t cancel that trip. 

Paul

Evening Paul 

If you can't get it cleaned up enough you can stop by your local auto parts store & buy a small bottle or florescent oil dye, just pour a little into your oil then use a black light after every short ride to illuminate the oil dye to see where it is leaking from.   

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

The oil pressure sender is just under the left cylinder, above the sight glass, and mine leaks a bit, there is oil down the side of the motor. It appears to be leaking from the sender itself, rather than where it screws into the motor. The oil isn't over filled, its on the side stand. 

My bike needs a good clean, the roads around my area are covered in stuff the farmers drag out of fields on their tractor wheels....

IMG_5346.thumb.jpg.0296ff8a926dc19baaf181c1b2270089.jpg