IGNORED

electric popping sound

steve68

2002 R1150R 50K miles

So I have an electrical popping sound that occurs when I start the bike.  It never seems to happen on a cold start, only after I have ridden for a bit, stopped and restarted.  I hit the starter button and while it's revving up I hear a single loud pop/click sound.

Around 2 months ago I got a new battery.  Since then, the sound is accompanied by a bit of electrically-smelling light smoke :eek:.  Then the bike runs great.

Have not pulled the tank yet, but obviously is the next step.

I am not electrically inclined but would guess that there is some sort of current bridging going on during the higher curretn/voltage starting process.

Thoughts?

Steven

48 minutes ago, steve68 said:

2002 R1150R 50K miles

So I have an electrical popping sound that occurs when I start the bike.  It never seems to happen on a cold start, only after I have ridden for a bit, stopped and restarted.  I hit the starter button and while it's revving up I hear a single loud pop/click sound.

Around 2 months ago I got a new battery.  Since then, the sound is accompanied by a bit of electrically-smelling light smoke :eek:.  Then the bike runs great.

Have not pulled the tank yet, but obviously is the next step.

I am not electrically inclined but would guess that there is some sort of current bridging going on during the higher curretn/voltage starting process.

Thoughts?

Steven

Afternoon Steven

Difficult to tell much over the internet but I would start with  the battery cable connections, make sure the connection are clean & make sure they are tight.

Otherwise, if you can hone in on an area on your motorcycle where the popping is coming from we can define whet to look for a little better. 

Why did you replace the battery? This info might also help us help you. 

If pressed I would say the sound comes from under the RHS of the fuel tank (if seated on the bike).  and the wisps of smoke seem to come up from under that right side as well.  I had gotten a new battery as the crappy battery I had bought at a local battery place 2 years ago was clearly petering out.

44 minutes ago, steve68 said:

If pressed I would say the sound comes from under the RHS of the fuel tank (if seated on the bike).  and the wisps of smoke seem to come up from under that right side as well.  I had gotten a new battery as the crappy battery I had bought at a local battery place 2 years ago was clearly petering out.

Afternoon Steven

There is a wire harness running from the under the tank to the handlebars, there is a red wire in that harness that has a habit of failing close to the zip tie that retains the harness. It's possible that wire is broken inside the insulation then just making a partial connection. 

Start the engine then turn the handlebars back & forth to see is the engine falters or the gauges quit.

Also check the battery cables for being tight at the battery posts (especially if the problem started after the new battery change.