IGNORED

Stop Sale on all NEW BMW Motorcycles

TSConver

Seen several posts on the internet that BMW NA has had a stop on all sales from the mothership. No new bikes can leave the showroom until further notice. Seems to be emission related. Probably a big recall campaign coming as well.

1 hour ago, TSConver said:

Seen several posts on the internet that BMW NA has had a stop on all sales from the mothership. No new bikes can leave the showroom until further notice. Seems to be emission related. Probably a big recall campaign coming as well.

Evening_

I wonder if this is a new deal or just an extension of the existing recall on 2019 through 2023 R 1250 GS, R 1250 GS Adventure, and R 1250 RTP motorcycles due to the potential risk of a broken gearbox input shaft.

All Model Year 2019 – 2023 BMW R 1250 GS motorcycles produced from 09/19/2018 through 12/14/2022. (6,812 motorcycles)

All Model Year 2019 – 2023 BMW R 1250 GS Adventure motorcycles  produced from 10/10/2018 through 12/14/2022 (9,401 motorcycles)

All Model Year 2019 – 2023 BMW R 1250 RTP motorcycles produced from 07/19/20218 through 12/02/2022. (2,276 motorcycles)

Greetings dirtrider,

Do the RT-P bikes have similar gearboxes as those GS models that you mentioned?

Apologies for the slight thread tangent.

Cheers,

12 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Greetings dirtrider,

Do the RT-P bikes have similar gearboxes as those GS models that you mentioned?

Apologies for the slight thread tangent.

Cheers,

Evening  wbw6cos

I don't know if they all use the same input shaft but the few I looked up use the same shaft. I don't know why BMW singled out those exact models for recall but my guess is that BMW thinks the RT-P & GS/GS-A will be ridden harder than the standard 1200RT.   Possibly some riders have proved that assumption incorrect. 

• Thanks 1

Here is the post on FB.  SO to DRs question it has nothing to do with the current DS recall or the reprogramming to prevent busting the tranny when doing jumps from overrevving.

IMG_6024.jpeg

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Evening_

I wonder if this is a new deal or just an extension of the existing recall on 2019 through 2023 R 1250 GS, R 1250 GS Adventure, and R 1250 RTP motorcycles due to the potential risk of a broken gearbox input shaft.

All Model Year 2019 – 2023 BMW R 1250 GS motorcycles produced from 09/19/2018 through 12/14/2022. (6,812 motorcycles)

All Model Year 2019 – 2023 BMW R 1250 GS Adventure motorcycles  produced from 10/10/2018 through 12/14/2022 (9,401 motorcycles)

All Model Year 2019 – 2023 BMW R 1250 RTP motorcycles produced from 07/19/20218 through 12/02/2022. (2,276 motorcycles)

New deal nothing to do with any of those recalls.

The intriguing part is that they cannot sell used bikes either so I bet it is an emission issue and they have been faking it like VW maybe.  Has to be big to stop all used sales too.  It is for anything gas powered that BMW sells.

So glad I have a Harley now as all their emissions hell is behind them  :classic_laugh:  

So does BMW have defeat logic built into the ECU?  That tends to be what manufacturers are getting caught with

so I guess this stop sale isn't like the last one where they had an issue with the emissions stickers falling off?   Maybe they are just misprinted this time.  To affect all their bikes it has to be a procedural problem

FWIW, skeptical, I called our dealer.  Verified stop sale applies to all new and used BMW bikes.  No further information on the cause, and they understand that it is not a safety issue, so our existing bikes can be ridden.  Said to expect 3-4 days for BMW to issue further information.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta
50 minutes ago, Twisties said:

FWIW, skeptical, I called our dealer.  Verified stop sale applies to all new and used BMW bikes.  No further information on the cause, and they understand that it is not a safety issue, so our existing bikes can be ridden.  Said to expect 3-4 days for BMW to issue further information.

Just spoke with a dealers' service advisor about a part for my RT. 

During the conversation, I mentioned the stop sale and said, "Sounds like an EPA issue" to which he replied, "Yeah, but at least it's not a serious safety issue." 

I'm not saying it's an EPA issue, just repeating what I heard.  YMMV

• Like 1
10 hours ago, szurszewski said:

Seems really odd there is no back date - like, if my dealer had a classic like a r60 on the floor, can they really not sell that?

Our dealer said something about not being able to sell a 15 y.o. bike.  Yes, I too thought it odd, and it raises questions.  That said, our dealer, at least under the old ownership this spring, didn't take bikes over 10 years old, so IDK.

Hopefully BMW will get some info out pretty quickly to keep dealers happy, no bike sales, no money coming in, no money for payroll and expenses, an undue hardship put on the dealers.

T-shirt sales won't keep the lights on. These aren't Harley Dealers!

7 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Hopefully BMW will get some info out pretty quickly to keep dealers happy, no bike sales, no money coming in, no money for payroll and expenses, an undue hardship put on the dealers.

T-shirt sales won't keep the lights on. These aren't Harley Dealers!

I don’t know how much revenue really comes from bike sales - but if they get really desperate for income they could all start working on those “ old” bikes again … ;)

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Haha 3
On 9/21/2023 at 8:57 PM, szurszewski said:

I don’t know how much revenue really comes from bike sales - but if they get really desperate for income they could all start working on those “ old” bikes again … ;)

I’ve been told first hand at my dealer they want no part of my K 75S, L O L.

• Smile 1
23 hours ago, Veefore said:

I’ve been told first hand at my dealer they want no part of my K 75S, L O L.

I know what I'd tell that dealer but I won't say it here. lol..lol..

• Haha 1
On 9/21/2023 at 8:57 PM, szurszewski said:

The main BMW sales guy at my dealer sells an average of about 20 BMWs a month with higher months selling 35+ BMWs.  So it’s a big impact.  In addition the used bike stop sale is almost as bad.  They have 3 sold used BMWs they can not deliver.  The frustrating part is ANY OTHER BRAND dealer CAN sell used BMWs.  So it’s obviously not an EPA issue but a BMW corporate issue.

Crazy!!

It takes a long time for the BMW spin doctors to come up with a explanation that is uninformative, minimally image damaging and legally unincriminating while at the same time sounding magnanimous. But I have every confidence that they can do it!

• Like 2

I just read on social media…so take it with a grain of salt…that the stop sale has been rescinded (posted by BMW Motorcycles of Jacksonville).

• 2 weeks later...
  • chrisolson featured this topic

Interesting. I purchased my bike on 9/14 and have had a hard time getting them to deliver. Today is 10/11 and they will be delivering tomorrow. I wonder if that was the issue? Weird timing.

• Like 1
  • chrisolson unfeatured this topic