IGNORED

Gas tank water holder

Hadabadachada

I was checking my gas tank cooling reservoir, it was over full, so I took out the excess and went in for a look.

Bad news.

I was in there a couple months ago.

put the s1000 gasket on, also filled with silicone.

must have missed a spot, as water was still getting in. 

siliconed the absolute SHITE out of everything again today, will go in for a look in a few weeks.

what do you think the idea was with this design? That no one was going to ride or get caught in the rain?

really seems like they put a filler lid on and forgot about the need for a gasket or a drain. 

71EB76DB-4436-41FC-A3B4-E2252A490320.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

I was checking my gas tank cooling reservoir, it was over full, so I took out the excess and went in for a look.

Bad news.

I was in there a couple months ago.

put the s1000 gasket on, also filled with silicone.

must have missed a spot, as water was still getting in. 

siliconed the absolute SHITE out of everything again today, will go in for a look in a few weeks.

what do you think the idea was with this design? That no one was going to ride or get caught in the rain?

really seems like they put a filler lid on and forgot about the need for a gasket or a drain. 

Afternoon Hadabadachada

It does have drain, there is a small hole in the bottom that leads to a hose that runs through the fuel tank then out though the fuel pump passthrough, then out to behind the engine.  

The metal fitting in the fuel pump passthrough tends to plug up with corrosion then the fuel cap area can't properly drain.  

Like dirtrider said, there is a drain hole that gets clogged. What I did with my '13 R was using a rust converter solution, after cleaning out the surface rust and blow the drain out with compressed air.

I don't know what the internals of the hose/pipe transiting the fuel tank is like, in the context of accidentally blowing a hose off inside if the clogging is bad, so do consider that part.

Rust converter transforms the surface into iron phosphate (IIRC) and stops any further rusting. 

• Thanks 1

When you say drain hole, you guys are talking about the hole that you see when you open the filler lid correct? That allows the water to drain when the bike is on the side stand? 

That is mostly free and clear, mostly, because it seems like it gets stopped up sometimes, but I think it’s more of the way that the hoses run, they aren’t straight down. So I’m going to re route then to make them such. But even if that drain WAS clogged, the only place for that water to go would be into the tank when you open the lid. There’s that gasket that blocks the drain hole off from the compartment…

on the R, water is free to get around that “compartment” that the filler sits in, there’s no gasket to keep water out around the edge and there’s no drain to get the water out once it’s in there. 
the drain is closed off by the gasket that sits under the filler number 3 there

so It rains, water gets around the edge and gets under the filler and just sits and rusts.

I gooped silicone sealant around the edge and everywhere I could. I’ll check again in a week after a few more good rains everyday. 

82B421A1-78FA-48BC-9C6F-DB03F1638820.png

That is mostly free and clear, mostly, because it seems like it gets stopped up sometimes, but I think it’s more of the way that the hoses run, they aren’t straight down. So I’m going to re route then to make them such. But even if that drain WAS clogged, the only place for that water to go would be into the tank when you open the lid. There’s that gasket that blocks the drain hole off from the compartment…

Morning   Hadabadachada

I don't have a camhead (R) bike here to look at but any chance the water is backing up through the lid cap-hinge area if the cap area drain hole plugs up then the under-cap area fills with water? 

36 minutes ago, Hadabadachada said:

I guess I have to inspect where the hinge drain hole is located.

Afternoon Hadabadachada

It's not so much a drain hole but the possibility of the hinge area having a window to the outer area.  I'm sort of thinking that IF the drain plugs up then the water level could become high enough to backup through the hinge area (if that is open the cavity behind it)

okay I get you.

so I do notice when I open the lid for a fuel up I do get water that runs out of the hinge area then proceeds down through the drain.

that could be where some water was getting down there I’d say.

I think a designer messed up. There’s a few YouTube’s where guys mess with it and talk about the issue.