IGNORED

2005 R1200RT real mileage?

opsguy

So I just purchased a 2005 R1200RT and the previous owner only had it for 4 months. The LCD on the instrument cluster is toast and you could not read any of the numbers. He said he thought it had 100,000 miles or so but it was a guess because the LCD didn't work.

I found a used Instrument cluster on ebay from a 2008 so I bought it and swapped it out and it fit perfectly. Now that it is working the mileage shows 11,880 miles. My question is can that be the correct mileage showing?

Thanks,

On 9/16/2023 at 2:54 PM, opsguy said:

So I just purchased a 2005 R1200RT and the previous owner only had it for 4 months. The LCD on the instrument cluster is toast and you could not read any of the numbers. He said he thought it had 100,000 miles or so but it was a guess because the LCD didn't work.

I found a used Instrument cluster on ebay from a 2008 so I bought it and swapped it out and it fit perfectly. Now that it is working the mileage shows 11,880 miles. My question is can that be the correct mileage showing?

Thanks,

Afternoon opsguy

I'm pretty sure the milage is stored in a couple of locations, obviously in the instrument cluster but also in the BMS-K (fueling computer). I'm not sure what will happen if they don't match but I doubt that it matters to the motorcycle system. 

Thank you both for your replies. I do believe you are correct. I paid for a FAXVIN report that showed that the last time it was registered in 2020 the mileage was 99,880.