IGNORED

iPhones with protruding lenses?

konacyclist

I’m looking to upgrade my phone, a 10S iPhone which has a flush camera lens and fits perfectly with the Apple silicon case into the phone compartment of my ‘22 RT. I’m looking at a 15 Pro iPhone but I’m concerned about the protruding lenses on the back of the phone. Even if I consider some of the iPhones below the 15 Pro, many have camera lenses that protrude. How is that working for some of you? Do the lenses suffer any damage? Thanks for your input.

18 minutes ago, konacyclist said:

I’m looking to upgrade my phone, a 10S iPhone which has a flush camera lens and fits perfectly with the Apple silicon case into the phone compartment of my ‘22 RT. I’m looking at a 15 Pro iPhone but I’m concerned about the protruding lenses on the back of the phone. Even if I consider some of the iPhones below the 15 Pro, many have camera lenses that protrude. How is that working for some of you? Do the lenses suffer any damage? Thanks for your input.

Afternoon  konacyclist

I can't help you with the iPhone but I carry an Android with raised lens's, I use a phone case that has a raised lip around the lens area & so far it seems to protect them OK.  

• Thanks 1

It seems an iPhone 13 or newer WILL NOT charge in the RT cradle. Something about being incompatible with the mag safe charger. Obviously can’t answer about a 15 just yet. This is after having my charger changed under warranty only to have do the exact same thing the old one did. BMW needs to fix this.

• Thanks 1

In the event I learn my iPhone upgrade plan is not going to work. I could dedicate my existing 10S to the RT’s phone compartment. Is it possible for my old 10S iPhone and my new 15 Pro iPhone to share the same number?

Thank you longjohn,

That is helpful and the floor of the compartment is rubber, so if I keep it clean, I should be fine so far as damage goes. I wonder though, do the protruding lenses prevent the phone from lying perfectly flat in the compartment and therefore interfere with the inductive charging? This could explain the charging problems some have encountered.

Side view of 15 pro shows the camera lens is not flush. 

when I bought my 11 pro I had concerns about it fitting in the compartment of my 18 rt so I went to the Apple Store and they handed me one and told me go and see if it fits. It did but barely. 

after 4 yrs of ownership I’ve only changed the phone in the compartment once.  I know one member who liked to charge his phone in the compartment with the phone slightly hanging out because the door wouldn’t close and he ended up losing it when we hit a nasty bump in the road, but luckily he went back and found the phone. Hi Rob!  Actually I think that scenario could work if you rigged up a tether arrangement. 

IMG_0287.thumb.jpeg.da4ba121a117f1c93c9497c7e8f2006a.jpeg

• 3 months later...
professorb

A common "hillbilly" solution to the proud lens -- no induction charging dilemma...

PITA, but it works reliably. And no phone overheating as a bonus.

R1250RT_PhoneCompartment_08.jpg

konacyclist

Ooh! I like that 90 degree connector. I am going to see if I can find a USB C right angle connector. I have discovered that my iPhone 15 Pro with the Apple fine woven case doesn't allow the spring latch in the phone compartment to capture the phone properly. Too bad.