IGNORED

'97 R1100rs no spark

Beemer Maverick

Beemer Maverick

Hi all! 

I was trying to fix my bike after it shut down in the rain on me and I keep hitting dead ends on her. After letting the bike dry overnight it started up fine, but then I let it sit for a week and now? Nothing.

As for what I have done so far I've replaced the following:

- Full replacement of the fuel pump and filter in the tank (which was, admittedly, not the issue at all but was a good start)

- New spark plugs

- And just today new ignition coils.

I am at my wits end on this thing and can't afford to keep shoving expensive parts at it.

13 minutes ago, Beemer Maverick said:

Hi all! 

I was trying to fix my bike after it shut down in the rain on me and I keep hitting dead ends on her. After letting the bike dry overnight it started up fine, but then I let it sit for a week and now? Nothing.

As for what I have done so far I've replaced the following:

- Full replacement of the fuel pump and filter in the tank (which was, admittedly, not the issue at all but was a good start)

- New spark plugs

- And just today new ignition coils.

I am at my wits end on this thing and can't afford to keep shoving expensive parts at it.

Morning  Beemer Maverick

When an 1100 quits in the rain or when wet that is sign that the HES is probably deteriorated. 

The wiring pig tail on the HES (Hall Effect Sensor) tends to have the wire insulation crumble then the HES signal cross talks between the wires then you get no spark.  

Beemer Maverick
1 minute ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Beemer Maverick

When an 1100 quits in the rain or when wet that is sign that the HES is probably deteriorated. 

HES? I'll see if I can't figure it out with the manual, but thank you!

3 hours ago, Beemer Maverick said:

HES? I'll see if I can't figure it out with the manual, but thank you!

Morning  Beemer Maverick

Just put HES into the search box at the top of this page then search HES, you can read for an hour+.

Then any questions that you have come back & post them here. 

When you check your HES wire pig tail you will probably find it degraded so instead of buying a new (expensive) HES you might E-Mail    GSAddict   at        arbcon@sunshinecoast.ca       He re-wires them with correct high temperature wire & does a very professional  job at  making them as good or better than new. 

If you go with GSAdict he is in Canada so you need to follow his exact directions for sending it to him so you don't have to pay the duty or import fees.  

Beemer Maverick
19 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Morning  Beemer Maverick

Just put HES into the search box at the top of this page then search HES, you can read for an hour+.

Then any questions that you have come back & post them here. 

When you check your HES wire pig tail you will probably find it degraded so instead of buying a new (expensive) HES you might E-Mail    GSAddict   at        arbcon@sunshinecoast.ca       He re-wires them with correct high temperature wire & does a very professional  job at  making them as good or better then new. 

If you go with GSAdict he is in Canada so you need to follow his exact directions for sending it to him so you don't have to pay the duty or import fees.  

Thank you so much!! I really appreciate your help, I'll get it sent off and hopefully get this pretty bike back on the road in no time!

Beemer-Maverick....as DR said there is lots of info here on the HES.  Follow the instructions for removal, marking the timing marks, for an easy re-installation.

I watched a video that said the HES typically fail at ~70K miles.  Is that true?  Does the age of the bike matter?  Also, in the video, he made a device to verify the sensor was at TDC as he was installing a new one.  I'm assuming that by marking the original before removal eliminates the need to double check it?

Beemer Maverick
23 minutes ago, Paddler said:

I watched a video that said the HES typically fail at ~70K miles.  Is that true?  Does the age of the bike matter?  Also, in the video, he made a device to verify the sensor was at TDC as he was installing a new one.  I'm assuming that by marking the original before removal eliminates the need to double check it?

Mine failed at 90k, but all oilheads until about late 2002 are susceptible to this failure. Like everyone else said: it's a matter of when, not if.

Though I got the sonofabitch out after some struggles with the Florida heat! 

Beemer Maverick
7 minutes ago, Jim Moore said:

Where in FL? if you're near Jacksonville I'll try to swing by and supervise when your new HES arrives. 

Melbourne area, so not too close XD

• 3 weeks later...
Beemer Maverick

So, a little update to this post, but I've gotten everything put back together and now it's just not turning over. I've done the timing, but can't seem to get her to start. Friend says it might be "bad gas" that's refusing to let the engine turn, but I have my doubts.

It definitely wants to turn over, but it just won't/can't. Any ideas?

Is that battery fully charged?

Bad gas has nothing to do with an engine turning over. Trying to fire, maybe, but not turning over.

Beemer Maverick
10 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Is that battery fully charged?

Bad gas has nothing to do with an engine turning over. Trying to fire, maybe, but not turning over.

it's on the charger now, which is what i figured might be the problem along with possibly not liking to start on the center stand. will update when i have a definite answer

15 minutes ago, Beemer Maverick said:

it's on the charger now, which is what i figured might be the problem along with possibly not liking to start on the center stand. will update when i have a definite answer

Afternoon Beemer Maverick

If you locked the flywheel with a pin did you remove the locking pin?

Is the side stand UP?

Is it in neutral or clutch lever pulled in? 

Can you turn the engine over by hand?

Beemer Maverick
9 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

If you locked the flywheel with a pin did you remove the locking pin?

Is the side stand UP?

Is it in neutral or clutch lever pulled in? 

Can you turn the engine over by hand?

Afternoon dirtrider!

The pin is out, the side stand is up and it's in neutral, and i can turn it by hand.

1 minute ago, Beemer Maverick said:

Afternoon dirtrider!

The pin is out, the side stand is up and it's in neutral, and i can turn it by hand.

OK, get the battery fully charged then see what you have. 

Beemer Maverick
19 hours ago, dirtrider said:

OK, get the battery fully charged then see what you have. 

Good morning dirtrider,

Let the battery fully charge only to realize there wasn't really any gas in it, which fouled the plugs. Not the update I was hoping for, since it still won't catch despite my pleading with it. Letting the battery charge up again and hopefully I'll be back with an update today.