IGNORED

R1200GS hard to get in neutral when motor is running

legarem

Hello

I have a R1200RT 2012 and I was looking  to buy a R1200GS  2014. Wtth the bad roads we have here I'm tired to have problems with my back.. First, I tried a Super Tenere which I liked a lot, A guy near here have a R1200GS 2014 for sale so I decided to try even if I hate the looks of this bike with it's long eagle beak. After trying this bike I was amazed how I LOVED it. I'm amazed by everything. Even the small windshield do a surprising good job. Suddenly the bike became less Ugly. As I know this is a first year production bike, Sometimes there's young problems with a new model. 

When I rode the bike, I had problems to find neutral position. This was impossible for me to find it when motor was working. Seller is supposed to have a check at the dealer to enquire about this problem. Mechanic told him they have to clean a strainer (???) or another part (???) and change oil. What do you think about this situation ? I read somewhere there was clutch problem with 2014 LC new mechanics. Should I forget this bike or 2014 GS could be ok to buy ?

Thanks a lot

Difficulty finding neutral is an indicator of clutch drag which means that the actuator isn't fully separating the plates enough to 'snick' it into neutral when it's running. I'd let the mechanic do his thing along with fresh mineral oil and see if that doesn't cure the issue before turning your back on the bike.

Agree with stiggy. A few years ago I was on a trip to CO with two buddies riding K1300 GT’s. When we got to 6500 feet elevation they had trouble finding neutral. If in neutral  they couldn’t find a gear with the motor running. Hydraulic clutches wouldn’t disengage. Bubbles in their mineral oil. Bikes worked fine once they returned to lower altitude. Think they bled and replenished mineral oil when they got home. 

No BMW I have ridden snicks into first from neutral from a stop.  They just don't have the transmission for it.  It is embarrassing when I ride with a guy who goes to neutral at all stops.  He then has to clunk into first to go.  I always slide into first coming to the stop, no clunk.

I think the LT was pretty good shifting but it had a dry clutch.