IGNORED

R1100RS shocks

JamesW

I'm looking for a set of shocks for my '93 R1100RSL that will produce a softer ride on my ancient low tech motorcycle.  At this stage of the game with two bad discs (L2, L3) in lower lumbar and age 80 in 2 months 15 days, but who's counting,  I most definitely need a softer ride on my pristine BMW.  Going to part with the FJR come spring because it's too heavy for me.  I tried Ohlins but no luck.  HELP,  please.:4607:

I answered my own question it's called Wilbers USA.  They can even rebuild OEM shocks with softer springs so I sent them an e-mail and we shall see.  The OEM shocks are pristine with only 15K miles so great candidates for a rebuild or maybe just a simple spring replacement and check out.

If you don't get a good response from Wilbers call Ted Porter's BeemerShop down in CA. They deal Wilbers but also others - I've had a few very good experiences with them (including one time they talked me OUT of spending more on Wilbers). The one time I got the wrong thing it was a mistake on the part of the shock manufacturer who'd direct shipped a custom unit from the Netherlands. Called BeemerShop and then had a replacement to me in a couple/few days. 

www.beemershop.com

The suspension page for your bike is here:

https://www.beemershop.com/category/suspension-products-176.html

1 hour ago, szurszewski said:

If you don't get a good response from Wilbers call Ted Porter's BeemerShop down in CA. They deal Wilbers but also others - I've had a few very good experiences with them (including one time they talked me OUT of spending more on Wilbers). The one time I got the wrong thing it was a mistake on the part of the shock manufacturer who'd direct shipped a custom unit from the Netherlands. Called BeemerShop and then had a replacement to me in a couple/few days. 

www.beemershop.com

The suspension page for your bike is here:

https://www.beemershop.com/category/suspension-products-176.html

Yes, and I like the cost for the YSS shock and they are rebuildable and cost is certainly reasonable compared to Wilbers.  I'll give Ted Porter's operation a call Monday morning.  Thanks:wave:  I had kind of talked myself out of new Wilbers shocks last night as I don't ride enough anymore anyway just short occasional day trips down the coast mostly.

OK, I ordered front and rear YSS shocks from Ted Porter and there's no doubt they will be better than the original OEMs.  

Now to think about what I'm going to do with the FJR.  Jeez, it bugs me but if I'm not comfortable riding it so I might as well bite the bullet.  Getting old just sux but better than the alternative.  I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Install new YSS shocks and went for a test ride yesterday with shock set for maximum softness.  Motorcycle handled fine and ride was soft so I'm pleased.  Had to move seat from medium position to high setting because with shocks so soft motorcycle sits lower.  Ride reminded me of an old ('77) R75/7 I used to know only without severe nose dive thanx to telelever.  She handled nicely in curves but because of reduced height above the road I would be a bit cautious about trying to scuff the sidewalls.  Would be next to impossible to adjust preload with rear shock installed on the bike.  I weigh 158 lbs and if the wife was on board at 110 lbs I'm not sure what would happen.  She seldom rides with me anymore and if she does it's usually the FJR for better wind protection.

Yeah, the drawback is not being able to adjust the preload without removing the shocks.  Just nothing one can do about it.  If the preload adjuster was on the low end of the shock you could but it is what it is.   Would be a pain to get preload adjusted but you would most likely only do it once but still a pain.  Too bad preload isn't at the bottom end of the shock.  The way it is.  Maybe some day when I'm really bored....or not.