IGNORED

Disintegrated alternator belt

pavjayt

I replaced my original factory alternator belt with new one (continental one from beemerboneyard) at 54K and today (82.5K) on my way from work close to home, the red triangle with battery sign came on. Made it home and my first check was voltage at the battery while the engine is running, it actually went down (makes sense due to headlights being On when running). This made sure that the alternator is either not running or gone bad (very unlikely). Opening the front cover and Lo and behold, the belt is off of the crank pulley inside out and is pretty much disintegrated. For now I reinstalled the factory belt back on it that I saved last time and looking for a suggestion on a good belt that doesnt disintegrate like this and leave me stranded somewhere. Not sure if I want to go with continental again (so much for "Engineered in Germany" label on it but ending up the same Chineese made crap)

PXL_20230915_024044022.jpg

PXL_20230915_024035820.jpg

10 hours ago, pavjayt said:

I replaced my original factory alternator belt with new one (continental one from beemerboneyard) at 54K and today (82.5K) on my way from work close to home, the red triangle with battery sign came on. Made it home and my first check was voltage at the battery while the engine is running, it actually went down (makes sense due to headlights being On when running). This made sure that the alternator is either not running or gone bad (very unlikely). Opening the front cover and Lo and behold, the belt is off of the crank pulley inside out and is pretty much disintegrated. For now I reinstalled the factory belt back on it that I saved last time and looking for a suggestion on a good belt that doesnt disintegrate like this and leave me stranded somewhere. Not sure if I want to go with continental again (so much for "Engineered in Germany" label on it but ending up the same Chineese made crap)

Afternoon  pavjayt

I have only seen one BMW elastomer belt that looked like yours does & it was installed upside down to begin with. Does that belt look like it is worn at all on the rib side?  

I have (and still do usually use) Continental belts as I have had no issues with their elastomer ribbed belts.

I haven't ever seen a BMW 1200 elastomer belt flip over in use.

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

it was installed upside down to begin with

this is interesting, could you please elaborate what this means? do these belts have particular direction of rotation like the tires?

3 hours ago, jjpen said:

It would be wise to make sure the bearing in the alternator is running freely.

yes, that is my first question as well since i see a lot of belt particles around alternator pulley. But it is rotating freely with hand. On the other hand are there instances where the alternator pulley gets stuck? If so what would be a likely reason?

I am going to place an order for belt and some oil filters, could someone let me know what else would be good to replace/service at this time under 'scheduled maintainence'?

At 54K, replaced plugs, alternator belt and air filter with oil and filter change. I do change oil every 4k-5k miles and filter every other oil change.

thanks

2 hours ago, pavjayt said:

this is interesting, could you please elaborate what this means? do these belts have particular direction of rotation like the tires?

Afternoon pavjayt

I kind of mis-stated that as it should have read flipped inside out. The belt isn't directional but obviously the ribs need to go on the inside to ride in the pulley grooves. 

Glad to know that it is not directional. Working on Alfas all the time, I dont think I installed it in reverse :classic_laugh:

Coming to items to order, should I replace the plugs, air filter as well? are they like 'replace every 24K' kind of items? I know air filter is mostly dependent on the driving conditions.

18 minutes ago, pavjayt said:

Glad to know that it is not directional. Working on Alfas all the time, I dont think I installed it in reverse :classic_laugh:

Coming to items to order, should I replace the plugs, air filter as well? are they like 'replace every 24K' kind of items? I know air filter is mostly dependent on the driving conditions.

Afternoon pavjayt

I typically replace the air filter any time I have the plastic removed after 25,000 miles on the old one. But as you mentioned it does depend on the air (& water) that has passed through it.  

Here are your service BMW service recommendations____

https://www.ascycles.com/ServiceSchedules/DOHC-R1200RT-Annual-motorcycle-service-schedule

https://www.ascycles.com/ServiceSchedules/DOHC-R1200RT-6K-motorcycle-service-schedule

https://www.ascycles.com/ServiceSchedules/DOHC-R1200Rt-6K-and-Annual-motorcycle-service-schedule

https://www.ascycles.com/ServiceSchedules/DOHC-R1200RT-12K-motorcycle-service-schedule

https://www.ascycles.com/ServiceSchedules/DOHC-R1200RT-12K-and-Annual-motorcycle-service-schedule

Do you need to flush hydraulic clutch system in these bikes? All service schedules mention visual inspection only. But I heard people doing flush of this system which seems not so straight forward or am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, pavjayt said:

Do you need to flush hydraulic clutch system in these bikes? All service schedules mention visual inspection only. But I heard people doing flush of this system which seems not so straight forward or am I wrong?

Evening pavjayt

Good question, BMW doesn't have a service schedule recommending it. Personally I change the clutch fluid when it starts looking dark (blackish). The dark color is usually from the slave cylinder allowing grease leakage back into the fluid. If it turns dark again in a short time that usually points to the slave starting to fail. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks D.R.

Will go ahead and replace plugs, filters, belt along with my scheduled trasmission and final drive oil.

Another question, is it common pratice to use fuel system cleaner once in a while in these bikes to clean the valves? I never used that in any of my vehicles, but read here that it provides noticeable difference in weak acceleration, misfiring and also valve clearances.

10 minutes ago, pavjayt said:

Thanks D.R.

Will go ahead and replace plugs, filters, belt along with my scheduled trasmission and final drive oil.

Another question, is it common pratice to use fuel system cleaner once in a while in these bikes to clean the valves? I never used that in any of my vehicles, but read here that it provides noticeable difference in weak acceleration, misfiring and also valve clearances.

Evening pavjayt

If you use good top tier fuel then you shouldn't need much.

On the 1200RT with plastic fuel tank & fragile fuel strip about all that I would (personally) recommend using is Techron. Not a lot but occasionally use at recommended amounts per gallon.  Techron is approved by BMW.