IGNORED

What's the best manual for repairs?

Sam_

Presumably going to have to drop the engine over the winter so wondering what the best manual/video would be for my '06 K12S. Can't seem to find a Haynes or Clymer so wondering what the next best thing is.

2 hours ago, BerettaRacer said:

I don't know of one.

Best option so far is individual vids on u-tube.

Can only find K12RS videos. Seems anything KS related is fairly rare because they never fail. Guess I may be the only one entertaining the idea of taking this on.

On 9/11/2023 at 5:43 PM, Lowndes said:

Have you inquired over on https://www.k-bikes.com/ ??  Some really helpful people over there, kinda like here, 'cept for it's just K's.

Yes. Unfortunately, it seems the CD is the only available resource. Was hoping for some intuitive YouTube videos (there was everything I ever wanted for my VFR) but the K has absolutely nothing.

• 2 months later...

Sam,

Is your K bike a longitudinal engine (the "brick") or a transverse??  Big diff.  I got one of each.

Why you gotta drop it, if I might ask??

• 1 month later...

I sent you a message about getting a factory manual.

It is a huge job to remove the engine from a K1200S bike. I'm in the process of doing it in a K1300S bike that crashed. Label every connector you unplug, all tubing and take pictures. Even then, good luck.

• 2 months later...
On 12/13/2023 at 7:05 PM, Lowndes said:

Sam,

Is your K bike a longitudinal engine (the "brick") or a transverse??  Big diff.  I got one of each.

Why you gotta drop it, if I might ask??

Since sold the bike, but I'll explain anyway.

Transversely mounted. Accident I got into caused the base pan to shift ever so slightly and leak. Wasn't excessive but was enough to piss me off. Only way to access was to drop the engine entirely.

On 12/11/2023 at 11:23 PM, Nevroica said:

image.thumb.jpg.d62f2b1ba576eb5a17fa99cb3cc68092.jpgIf you’ll return it to me, and pay postage to send it to you, I’ll loan you mine.

IMG_0616.thumb.jpeg.2a3f24fff85260dcaeca2c3664a2186e.jpeg

Sorry - just signed back in after a few months. I had a K1200S (since sold) - which is a completely different engine to what the manual covers.

Lowndes

'zackly. 

I have that (above) manual but it is for the old "Flying Brick" K1200RS (1996-2004) with the longitudinal crankshaft.  BMR clarified the situation by coming out with a completely different bike the (transverse crankshaft) K1200S (2004-2008) and later the very similar K1300S (2009-2014).  

I still get them confused, have to get a flashlight and go out in the garage.  And it's not just me.

THANKS, BMW.

• Smile 1