IGNORED

Clutch/trans issue?

djbock

Seeking direction from the experts here.  On the way to the Dells rally made it from NW Iowa to 20 miles from WI Dells.  Downshifted to 2nd gear to make a turn and lost drivetrain engagement.  Closest sound I can relate it to is "grinding" gears on manual trans car.  

When bike is off can get to to go through all 5 gears on indicator but rear wheel is not engaging.  Just makes a grinding noise when you turn wheel clutch in or out.  Got it to go back into 1st but upon shifting to 2nd no engagement and just "grinds".

So needless to say have a buddy with trailer coming to get me to haul back home.  So am I looking at a clutch issue or trans issue? 2000 1100RT

Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, djbock said:

Seeking direction from the experts here.  On the way to the Dells rally made it from NW Iowa to 20 miles from WI Dells.  Downshifted to 2nd gear to make a turn and lost drivetrain engagement.  Closest sound I can relate it to is "grinding" gears on manual trans car.  

When bike is off can get to to go through all 5 gears on indicator but rear wheel is not engaging.  Just makes a grinding noise when you turn wheel clutch in or out.  Got it to go back into 1st but upon shifting to 2nd no engagement and just "grinds".

So needless to say have a buddy with trailer coming to get me to haul back home.  So am I looking at a clutch issue or trans issue? 2000 1100RT

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon djbock

It sure sounds like stripped clutch hub & transmission input shaft an splines.

It doesn't happen often on the 1100 5 speeds but it can happen.

Put it in 2nd gear then, with rear wheel off the ground  then try turning the rear wheel (will probably grind). 

Then pull the clutch lever in & allow it to snap back a few times (now see if rear wheel will still turn or if the grinding noise changes)

1 minute ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon djbock

It sure sounds like stripped splines.

How much of a job is that to fix? Better to send someplace to have trans rebuilt? I have no problem doing basic maintenance so worried this would be above my abilities.

3 minutes ago, djbock said:

How much of a job is that to fix? Better to send someplace to have trans rebuilt? I have no problem doing basic maintenance so worried this would be above my abilities.

Afternoon djbock

It's a pain, the rear frame needs to be lifted up & the transmission removed & taken apart. (parts are very expensive)

Most just install a good used transmission from E-Bay. 

You need to verify what is wrong first but it sound like stripped splines.

You can remove the starter then look in the transmission  front housing while turning the rear wheel, if the trans input shaft spins inside the clutch hub then you have stripped splines. 

Hi D.R.,

Did all the 1100 series bikes with the 5 speed have the same design for the input shaft splines that fully engage the clutch hub unlike the 1150?  I'm thinking about my '04 R1150RT (sold) in comparison to my '93 R1100RSL.  Wonder if the topic starter's 2000 R1100RT has had the splines lubed to prevent fretting.  Pretty sure Anton Lagladier still does 5 speed service although his schedule is most likely pretty full.  Apologize in advance if I misspelled his last name.

Might be the splines, although it's almost unheard of on a five-speed tranny. I'm betting on a grenaded u-joint on the driveshaft. In either case you just have to start at the bvack and pull things off until you find the problem.

It would probably cost more than the bike is worth to have a shop fix it, but almost anything on that bike can be fixed for a few hundred bucks worth of EBay parts. We're here for you. You can do this!

• Plus 1 2

FWIW...all we ever broke on the 1100's were driveshafts. Thousands of enforcement miles and very hard service.

I agree with Jim's post; It's just nuts and bolts and you've got friends to answer your questions:thumbsup:

Again, appreciate everyone replies so far.  So here is another question, would the bike be worth anything to sell as is with a strong motor, great shape but with an unknown drive-line issue?  54k miles, I am 2nd owner, have most of previous owners maintenance documentation and I have done the following in my 8 years of ownership.  Changed alternator belt, replaced fuel pump hoses, had HES rewired, 1200 injectors installed, SS brake lines installed and every fall for winter storage changed ALL fluids as well as spark plugs.

The reason I'm asking and to make the story short is I picked up an '04 R1150RT, 25k miles at the rally and rode that home.  So if the 1100 is worth anything at all think I could just sell that as/is, but if it not worth anything take the time/$$ and effort to get it working under its own power again and then sell it.

Finally got a chance to get the starter pulled out.  Spines are definitely spinning inside clutch.  Guessing some of them should not be flat.

I know suggestions have been to get an eBay trans.  Guess I worry that those might be the same or potentially so.  Does anyone know where I could get a new input shaft installed and approx price?

20230917_124642.jpg

20230917_124636.jpg

Afternoon djbock

The 1100 splines are sort of flat on top, what you see in the pictures is the unused part of the splines, the stripped part is inside the clutch hub. You can't see much of those until you take it apart. 

I can't give you a price  on parts & labor but it will most likely be cost prohibitive on a motorcycle the age of yours. 

Even getting someone to do it might be a chore  as a lot shops won't work on motorcycles that old.  

A use trans (even if only for parts to repair yours) is probably your best bet. 

• 4 months later...

So ready to start tackling this more in depth to get it road worthy again.  Came across the transmission and wanted thoughts on getting it or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225752398481?epid=14005133774&hash=item348fe43a91:g:gxwAAOSwfkFk76Ca

And you are correct as always DR, most shops wont touch anything this old and the one that would I was quoted around $2500 to change out input shaft with me pulling the trans.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, djbock said:

So ready to start tackling this more in depth to get it road worthy again.  Came across the transmission and wanted thoughts on getting it or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225752398481?epid=14005133774&hash=item348fe43a91:g:gxwAAOSwfkFk76Ca

And you are correct as always DR, most shops wont touch anything this old and the one that would I was quoted around $2500 to change out input shaft with me pulling the trans.

Afternoon  djbock

That is supposedly a 1996 transmission, that is the early trans with no back-cut on the engagement dogs, "0" ring gear sets, & open bearings.

It should work but wouldn't be my first choice due to possibility of jumping out of gear (expensive repair).

1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon  djbock

That is supposedly a 1996 transmission, that is the early trans with no back-cut on the engagement dogs, "0" ring gear sets, & open bearings.

It should work but wouldn't be my first choice due to possibility of jumping out of gear (expensive repair).

Copy that.  Which years should I look for?  As I'm finding not all listings will have the particular "model" #.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, djbock said:

Copy that.  Which years should I look for?  As I'm finding not all listings will have the particular "model" #.

Afternoon djbock

Basically you want a M-97 trans, late 1996 up (97 up to be safe).