IGNORED

2013 BMW RT1200 Stuck in 6th Gear

BABABeemer

Spoiler

I’m thinking of buying a2013 RT 

The bike has 98,000 miles and it is stuck in 6 gear.. Is this normal for a late model bike and do you think it’s a easy fix?

Check the shiter, I had a problem with the shift linkage getting loose and making it look like the transmission was locked when it was the shifter.

9 hours ago, BABABeemer said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I’m thinking of buying a2013 RT 

The bike has 98,000 miles and it is stuck in 6 gear.. Is this normal for a late model bike and do you think it’s a easy fix?

Morning BABABeemer

Not normal but things like that do happen.

As far as an easy fix? That DEPENDS on what is causing the problem. 

First place to look is at the shifting links & levers for signs of bolts backing out the catching.

If it's just a linkage lever pinch bolt backed out then an easy fix.

If it's internal to the transmission then an expensive & invasive fix.  

UiUgqVO.png

4 hours ago, BABABeemer said:

Thanks DR. If it was an internal problem would it make noise if it was pushed with the clutch in?

Afternoon  BABABeemer

It might or might not, depends on what the problem is. 

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to check the shift linkage. Possible it is sticking, or in my case the weld that held the pivot point to the frame cracked. I had a very difficult time shifting into first gear at a gas stop and then had difficulty shifting between gears after that. I found that it has happened to a few others although not frequent. I was able to have a friend who does welding do a good job of fixing it on the bike and then about a year later when I did the clutch he was able to repair it more permanently when i had the rear sub frame off the bike and the mount was more accessible. Due to the loss of this pivot point shifting was very sloppy and sometimes could not shift at all.  There are also some ball joint type sockets and plastic bushings that can be lubricated to improve the linkage if it is just binding.

IMG_5448.jpg

IMG_5452.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I decided against that bike and bought a 2016 RTP instead. When the bike arrived from the auction yard, it had the same problem, the pinch bolt was loose on the shaft. The original bike I was interested in was 2011 RT and is still for sale in Corona, Ca. The price has dropped to $2500 now.