IGNORED

Upper Panel retaining clips

DBULL

Just back from a great ride, and while cleaning the bike, found the upper left panel loose.  The clip is no longer attached to the panel or the bike.  I'm to sure what to call them (retaining clip?), but where should I head for replacements?  

I searched several places, but came up empty.  Thanks for your help.  I've had the bike exactly one year, and 24,900 miles, and this is the first issue I've had-not bad at all.

Dave

Greetings Dave,

Can you identify it in the diagram?  (if that is the panel in question)

Not sure if this is the area in question.   Perhaps you can post a photo of your upper left panel.  

Screenshot2023-09-08211731.jpg.5043e8d7e5907f304b808e2deeb10d18.jpg

Yes, in the picture the 'clip' does not appear there.  My left panel is the bottom one in your photo.  looks like it is a small piece attached to the panel that 'hangs' on the bike-it's got to be small because there is a slot it fits in.  Sorry for the ramble

Thanks for the reply.  I did look in the parts fiche that you sent from A and S and can't find it listed there.

Hi Dave,   if I am not mistaken the #9 item is a velcro strip (hook & loop fastener) that is held in place with VHB (Very High Bond,) which is the adhesive that comes on the back of the strips.  One side is glued to the panel and its match is on the bike.

Screenshot2023-09-09054726.jpg.86938f6ed2d51ccb24b0eccdf39d881e.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Dave, a thought occured to me about where that panel is loose.    Check the parts diagram and view the back of the right side panel (inside) near the #2; there are two tabs that slide down and engage slots on the bike near the button panel.   Make sure they are present.   That side panel has to slide down, first, then engage the velcro with the other tabs-to-grommets.   If that makes sense.   

I fxin' to head out for a pre-12k warm-up ride and will have some lovely views of said panel in the ever-coveted Mars Red Metallic paint finish.   I can snap a photo or three, if you need.

Cheers!!

• Like 1

Thanks,  I'm heading out to meet a few BMW riders for breakfast then figuring this out.  Here is the tab, clip, whatever should go in this spot

IMG_7459.jpg

7 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

... Check the parts diagram and view the back of the right side panel (inside) near the #2; there are two tabs that slide down and engage slots on the bike near the button panel.

In my experience, the most common reason for loose side panels is that one or both of those tabs break off.  If the velcro becomes detached, you can glue it back on.  But if the tabs break off then the solution is more complicated.  Fortunately, you can buy small metal replacement tabs made for exactly that purpose -- you need to dremel the old plastic tabs completely off, and then bond the metal tabs in their place.  It is a slick fix.

Cap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With apologies to Don V, ( and Cap) I just looked up what he referenced.    

Yeah Dave, tha panel is missing a tab (#2) that hangs down in that slot.   The Clearwater Lights web site has those tabs (for repair/replacement) and are made of metal and use VHB.

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/side-panel-repair-kit-for-bmw-r1200rt-water-cooled

• Plus 1 1

Quick update, but not completely done.

Removed the panel and found one metal clip (guessing PO had already made the repair once) missing and one not glued.  I re-attached it, and ordered a kit from Clearwater.  So, it is pretty solid for a few more days, and I have no long rides upcoming.  

So appreciate the help on this folks.  

• Like 2