IGNORED

How to Import From Google Maps to BMW App

Steveyacht

First, allow me to admit, I'm not tech savvy. I have planned a route on my laptop, using Google Maps for an upcoming ride to Maggie Valley.  I would like to use the BMW app while riding up there. I would like to import BMW App on my phone.  I have the link, on the phone, but have no idea how to import the data.  

That, or I can just use Google Maps and use my phone.

Thanks in advance for your help, 

Steve

1 hour ago, Steveyacht said:

First, allow me to admit, I'm not tech savvy. I have planned a route on my laptop, using Google Maps for an upcoming ride to Maggie Valley.  I would like to use the BMW app while riding up there. I would like to import BMW App on my phone.  I have the link, on the phone, but have no idea how to import the data.  

That, or I can just use Google Maps and use my phone.

Thanks in advance for your help, 

Steve

The only way I have gotten a google map into bmw app is to first export it as a KMZ file using MY Maps which is part of google maps and allows you to save and export a route.  I then opened that with basecamp from Garmin and resaved it as a GPZ file.   Then I could import the GPZ file into the BMW App.  THe BMW app cannot import the native format that google maps export to.

2 hours ago, TSConver said:

The only way I have gotten a google map into bmw app is to first export it as a KMZ file using MY Maps which is part of google maps and allows you to save and export a route.  I then opened that with basecamp from Garmin and resaved it as a GPZ file.   Then I could import the GPZ file into the BMW App.  THe BMW app cannot import the native format that google maps export to.

Wow. Sounds like more of a pain in the ass than its worth, to me.  I guess I'll just use Google maps on my phone for navigation.  Much easier.

50 minutes ago, Steveyacht said:

Wow. Sounds like more of a pain in the ass than its worth, to me.  I guess I'll just use Google maps on my phone for navigation.  Much easier.

There is a chrome add on that lets you do limited exporting but for full functionality it is like $10 a month.  It is Gmaps2GPX extension for chrome.

• Like 1

@Steveyacht, one other option is to either use Kurviger.de or Ride with GPS in a web browser and recreate your route.

Then you can export it as a .GPX file. This file can be imported into your BMW Connect App on your phone.

You can also use OSMand Maps.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Steveyacht said:

I have planned a route on my laptop, using Google Maps for an upcoming ride to Maggie Valley.

We like to go there every year, but this year my cousin cannot make it. We always stay at the BW Mountainbrook, and choose the back rooms, where the trailer stays completely out of view. But the place looks pretty safe. And always go to Waynesville for dinner (driving); much better restaurants. And always on weekdays (Mon to Fri), or it'd be an awful experience, especially at the Dragon. Last time, we finally had the Dragon basically to ourselves. Only passed a few cars and bikes in 2 full passes up and down; it was awesome (that's where I got my avatar, on my cousin's bike). But there are even better roads than the Dragon (and much less traveled), especially if you like less technical roads, like hwy 28S @ 74. You can ride it after coming back from the Dragon (19, 74, 28N). The first 13 miles or so are the absolute best, and turn back when you get at the bottom of the canyon (best detour you can do; you'll thank me for that). The curves have the perfect radius, asphalt is billiard smooth, and all are very similar, so that's the perfect place to push your cornering safely (if you need that); no surprises, like at the Dragon. And many other roads, but you probably know about them. We do a lot of the BRP to the south (north turns to crap a mile up the road... unless it has been repaired), and a lot of the roads that cross it miles down the road are awesome (sometimes both ways). We put over 1K (1,100 to 1,300) miles every time we go (4 to 5 days), and never get tired of that place. The only road I've never done is 441; my cousin says it's always super congested, even on weekdays, but want to do it next time. We also want to explore the devil's triangle, the new section of the parkway, etc. Maybe next year. Enjoy it for the rest of us :).

• Plus 1 1