IGNORED

Lane Splitting in Texas

Skywagon

Until Sept 01, lane splitting was not addressed in the codes.  It was deemed as neither legal or illegal.  I would say I don't see it more than once or twice a year.  It's just not done.  Contrast that to my time in Ca back a couple of decades ago and it was just normal.  It was abnormal to not lane split.

Well, Texas has no helmet laws, speed limits up to 85 with some grace, and as of Sept 01, the legislature has officially made it illegal to lane split in Texas.  I don't think overall the average cyclist will even know the law has been implemented as again it just isn't common here.  I do wish they had made it legal.  In the summer time caught in heat and traffic it would be really helpful.  They even addressed it as not passing in the same lane.  It would have been an improvement to even scale it to say no faster than 20mph.  I can tell you when in stop and go heat I will pass on the shoulder at near walking speed.  I hope I don't get to explain that to a judge.

I think it's all about the environment.

California's had lane splitting forever, so their environment is accustomed to it.

Other states have not had it and drivers are not accustomed, nor do I think would be accustomed to it for some years and many accidents later.

I was riding my bicycle to work in 2008, 11 mile commute.  Coming to a stop sign, several cars were there, so I ride on the right side hugging the curb to get to the stop sign, around all the cars.  Asshat in pickup truck holla's at me "wait your turn" or something like that.  I gave him the

and rolled on,.....he prolly had no idea what it was.  Anyway, 'mericans in most states are not accustomed to a lane splitting environment unless.  

How many times do you go to legitimately pass someone on a two lane road and as you move to the left, they put their brakes on,......ughh, annoy's me 'cause it make me think I didn't see some thing that might be out there, now compound that with passing in their lane,.....I see swerves into you coming along.

2 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

How many times do you go to legitimately pass someone on a two lane road and as you move to the left, they put their brakes on,......ughh, annoy's me 'cause it make me think I didn't see some thing that might be out there, now compound that with passing in their lane,.....I see swerves into you coming along.

Actually in NC the law states that you are supposed to slow down if someone is attempting to pass you.

19 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Actually in NC the law states that you are supposed to slow down if someone is attempting to pass you.

Depends on how you define "give way",....I don't take that to mean hit the brakes or slow down, it's simply to yield and let me by.

https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-20-motor-vehicles/nc-gen-st-sect-20-149.html

Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle while being lawfully overtaken on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

I don’t know what give way in NC roads means either, but in boating it is defined as hold course and speed until the overtaking vessel is clear. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Depends on how you define "give way",....I don't take that to mean hit the brakes or slow down, it's simply to yield and let me by.

https://codes.findlaw.com/nc/chapter-20-motor-vehicles/nc-gen-st-sect-20-149.html

Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle while being lawfully overtaken on audible signal and shall not increase the speed of his vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

I don’t know what give way in NC roads means either, but in boating it is defined as hold course and speed until the overtaking vessel is clear. 

Give way or as defined in the dictionary to mean yield, usually means to either prepare to slow/stop or slow/stop to permit the other vehicle to proceed.

On curvy roads with short passing areas that would definitely mean to let off and let the vehicle pass unfortunately so many people today become aggressive and speed up.

Yield, does not, by the book, mean to slow, but as I said, it's how you define it.

I'd much rather/prefer the one I'm overtaking to do as Davey boy states the boat people do and hold their course and speed. 

I'm overtaking, means I've looked at my surroundings, twisty road or not, and have assessed what I need to do to ensure a safe pass.

• Plus 1 1
4 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Yield, does not, by the book, mean to slow, but as I said, it's how you define it.

I'd much rather/prefer the one I'm overtaking to do as Davey boy states the boat people do and hold their course and speed. 

I'm overtaking, means I've looked at my surroundings, twisty road or not, and have assessed what I need to do to ensure a safe pass.

I am fine with holding speed but unfortunately so many people think they need to accelerate and prevent you from passing.

• Plus 1 1