IGNORED

R1200RT 2012 suspension change for softer ride on bad roads

legarem

Hello

Here our roads are really bad and today I tried a Yamaha Super Tenere . I was amazed with the suspension this bike has..

Is it possible to fit a GS suspension on a RT so I could have more travel on the RT suspension ?

Thanks

Just have the RT's shock absorbers refurbished. It is amazing the difference that makes. It's usually the damping that stops working, the exact part that smoothes out the  ride. Done it to my (now sold) hexhead RT and the difference was night and day. Cheaper then getting them replaced.

• Plus 1 1

I don't know what it takes for the Camhead RT ESA shocks to get out of calibration, but when I bought my 38k mile 2013 RT with stock suspension last fall the damping was very stiff on all three settings (no discernible difference between them) and produced a very jarring ride. Performing an ESA calibration using my MotoScan app made a big difference, producing a noticeable difference between all three ESA damping settings with the ride markedly improving.

I'd traded a 2014 R1200GS with ESA for the RT and also own a Tenere 700 with suspension well dialed in and have no illusions that the OEM RT suspension will ever be as supple over road irregularities as those longer travel bikes, but when working as it should the OEM suspension is OK. With almost 48k miles on them now though, aftermarket shocks are in the not-too-distant future.  

Thanks for your replies

The damping settings on my bike don't work. I normally settled it at Normal and I didn't change it this year. I tried to change it yesterday and it is stuck at Normal position.

last year everything was ok to change the settings.  After many tryings it will 'perhaps' work again. Anyway, I'm now convinced by the Tenere suspension.

I bought my 2010 R1200RT used back in 2016. It was horrible, I was getting bounced out of my seat on even regular roads around here in DFW. The shocks ended up leaking about 1.5-2 years ago. I sent both off to Ted Porter this last winter. All I can say is WOW, the ESA now actually does work. I set it for Comfort and Single, no luggage. Soft as can be and works really well. Night and day difference between the stock ESA and the Wilbers with ESA I got from Ted Porter.

• Plus 1 1