IGNORED

BMW ConnectedRide Navigator

TSConver

20 minutes ago, TSConver said:

Afternoon TSConver

A number of auto companies are doing the same thing with some giving a 3 year subscription at purchase & others requiring a monthly fee (after the hooking trial ends). 

My wife's new SUV has that cloud based system, seems to work good for automobiles (just to get you there) but sure isn't very compatible with custom routes made on BaseCamp or in a Garmin GPS. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon TSConver

A number of auto companies are doing the same thing with some giving a 3 year subscription at purchase & others requiring a monthly fee (after the hooking trial ends). 

My wife's new SUV has that cloud based system, seems to work good for automobiles (just to get you there) but sure isn't very compatible with custom routes made on BaseCamp or in a Garmin GPS. 

The connected ride app from BMW which is useable without the navigator or the cradle and connects to the TFT and gives basic directions, does not show a map has pretty good import and export functions.  It already saves all of my rides to the cloud if I activate it to do so.  Right now it is free, will that change, who knows.

10 minutes ago, TSConver said:

The connected ride app from BMW which is useable without the navigator or the cradle and connects to the TFT and gives basic directions, does not show a map has pretty good import and export functions.  It already saves all of my rides to the cloud if I activate it to do so.  Right now it is free, will that change, who knows.

Yeah ,.... I have heard too may issues with the current ConnectRide App using the cell phone.   I'll pass on that one. 

1 minute ago, RTinNC said:

Yeah ,.... I have heard too may issues with the current ConnectRide App using the cell phone.   I'll pass on that one. 

I have not tried it for navigation.  But it does a great job recording rides.  I might try it for nav coming out to sparta along with my Xumo XT and see how they do.

Thanks for video.  Those with TFT help me understand something.  When he says requires WiFi to work, Is that just a connection to the internet via your cell phone/carrier?  What if you don't have a phone or a phone that can connect to a cell tower to access the internet?  I'm a bit confused on some loose definitions here.  Thanks for help.

51 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Thanks for video.  Those with TFT help me understand something.  When he says requires WiFi to work, Is that just a connection to the internet via your cell phone/carrier?  What if you don't have a phone or a phone that can connect to a cell tower to access the internet?  I'm a bit confused on some loose definitions here.  Thanks for help.

I’ll defer to others who have the connect ride using their phone and TFT. But this is not the first time I’ve heard complaints about losing the connection between the phone and the TFT. And all that I’ve heard say you have to pull over take your phone out and reconnect it. And I believe that’s what the video was suggesting. 

2 hours ago, Skywagon said:

I don’t have one of the new R1250RT’s with the TFT screen (10.25”), but the way I understand it, is that the phone has to create and maintain a WiFi connection between the TFT of the bike and the phone. The phone doesn’t have to have a permanent internet connection. 

Those owners that want to use the system and learned how to use it have been using it successfully. 

Please also understand that the system for the GS/GSA/R and RS bikes with the small TFT screens use a different interface then the RT’s/ R18 and K1600 bikes with the 10.25” TFT units.

A fellow from Atlanta has written up a PDF that details on how to connect those bikes (10.25” TFT Screen) with your phone and your helmet Bluetooth unit. If anyone wants it, send me a PM and I will send you his PDF.

The biggest problem with phone navigation apps is that most do not handle complicated routes very well, like the routes I post for the ‘ART events. 

To help out with this problem, I have posted each segment of a route as a separate downloadable link for use with phone navigation APPS and use it with your TFT equipped bike, if you want. The problem with most apps is that they can only handle routes in one direction and don’t like to navigate round trips. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, TSConver said:

I have not tried it for navigation.  But it does a great job recording rides.  I might try it for nav coming out to sparta along with my Xumo XT and see how they do.

I would be very interested in hearing the results of you using the BMW Connect App and your TFT to navigate one of the routes for FART. Keep us posted. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bernie said:

I would be very interested in hearing the results of you using the BMW Connect App and your TFT to navigate one of the routes for FART. Keep us posted. 

Will do planning on running it side by side with my XT.

• Like 1

I use the connected app and BMW cradle on my 2022 900XR.  I've used it in parallel with my Nav5 to check it out and never had an issue.  On the 900, it only requires a bluetooth connection to the phone, the wifi is with the RT.  It will display turn by turn on the TFT and map on the phone.  The map can be zoomed in or out with the wonder wheel.  The wheel also allows one to switch between music, map or other several other apps on the phone's display.  If I'm on a trip somewhere, I always throw my Nav into a bag just in case I lose my phone but the BMW cradle seems to lock it into place pretty securely.  I uses an iPad mini on my RT for a long time until it popped out of its cradle going through West Virginia.  Fortunately I had my Nav and it carried on.

• Like 1