IGNORED

1995 R1100RS Cutting out

Vince Semona

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find it. I have a '95 R1100RS and it cut out and tach with jump around while fuel and temp gauge go blank. No other lights flicker or go out. I did replace the HES no change. Today I went through all wires and connectors again and it ran great for about 2 blocks then same issues. I am open to any input. Thank you in advace. 

Vince - Welcome to the board!!

Dirtrider is the authority and he will get it sorted here shortly.

In the meantime, you say the HES was replaced.  Was that with a new OEM HES, or did you have it rewired, or was it an aftermarket unit??

Sounds like a broken wire somewhere making intermittent contact, possibly a ground wire or connection.  Does wiggling the ignition key do anything??  Have you done anything (repairs, service) to the bike recently??  

If the RID (fuel and temp gauges) are going blank I'd look at the sidestand switch and the kill switch. You can jump the sidestand switch at the connector on the left side of the bike. You can also take the assembly apart to check / clean the kill switch. 

Morning Vince 

The side stand switch would be a good place to start. (you can simply jumper the two green wires together to by-pass the side stand switch as a quick test)

It could also be a partially broken the red or green wire in the wire harness running from the motorcycle chassis to the handlebars  (usually near the zip tie retaining the harness). If you can get it running again try turning the handlebars back  forth to se it it then quits again.

Also check fuse #5 for having an intermittent break in the element (of just replace it), with the way the dash quit probably not but don't overlook it. 

Also check your fuel pump & Motonic relays, You might have to use a 12v test light or voltmeter to see what does or doesn't have 12v with key on &  during engine cranking.

Is the TAC doing ANYTHING (like needle jumping around) with JUST the key ON --- This can tell us a lot knowing this.