IGNORED

R1200S Electrical Problems

adam_motorcycles

adam_motorcycles

I have a problem with my 2007 R1200S.  It started as the bike dying intermittently when I pulled in the clutch getting off the highway at an off ramp.  I set it aside for a little while.  Yesterday, I read a little on here.  I performed a TPS reset, and I set off to work prepared to do things like unplug the idle valve or O2 sensors if the problem recurred.  It was much worse today.  The problem is heat related.  Once the bike was warmed up I started seeing things like the speedo dropping out and the abs light, the tac dropping out, the brights indicator dropping out.  It did fine when I got off the highway.  Died when I accelerated away from the sign.  Died again.  Stumbled when I was rolling at steady speed.  Stumbled then died.  You get the idea.  As you can tell from that, it starts back up without much trouble (but sometime a little).  I took a little break a couple hours later when it was cooled down.  Ran fine until it warmed up again.  Same symptoms.  Caught a ride home.

Does anyone have any diagnostic suggestions?

I am going to check the charging system once the problem starts, mostly out of desperation.  

I fear it is the ECU.  Can you help me with some follow ups on that

What is the ECU paired to?  Keys, Central Electronics...

Is there anyone out there that refurbs them or has inventory of used?

Is there anyone out there that tests them?

I am hoping to avoid dropping $2000 at the dealer on a bike that I love.  I appreciate any help you might have

Oh, and when I turned it off I noticed a couple drips of gas out from under the left side of the fairing.  Feel like it could be unrelated or not

The Fabricator

These things 'dropping out' suggest a simple loose electrical connection.

The ECU is the last thing to check.

Check for loose battery bolts, loose/corroded ground connection, loose power connection.

Some times the wires routed to the key switch, which bend when the handle bars are turned, can break internally.  

The key switch contacts can corrode and loose contact.

Check the battery bolts, power cable connections.

Jiggle the wires while the engine is running, listen for a miss.

8 hours ago, adam_motorcycles said:

I have a problem with my 2007 R1200S.  It started as the bike dying intermittently when I pulled in the clutch getting off the highway at an off ramp.  I set it aside for a little while.  Yesterday, I read a little on here.  I performed a TPS reset, and I set off to work prepared to do things like unplug the idle valve or O2 sensors if the problem recurred.  It was much worse today.  The problem is heat related.  Once the bike was warmed up I started seeing things like the speedo dropping out and the abs light, the tac dropping out, the brights indicator dropping out.  It did fine when I got off the highway.  Died when I accelerated away from the sign.  Died again.  Stumbled when I was rolling at steady speed.  Stumbled then died.  You get the idea.  As you can tell from that, it starts back up without much trouble (but sometime a little).  I took a little break a couple hours later when it was cooled down.  Ran fine until it warmed up again.  Same symptoms.  Caught a ride home.

Does anyone have any diagnostic suggestions?

I am going to check the charging system once the problem starts, mostly out of desperation.  

I fear it is the ECU.  Can you help me with some follow ups on that

What is the ECU paired to?  Keys, Central Electronics...

Is there anyone out there that refurbs them or has inventory of used?

Is there anyone out there that tests them?

I am hoping to avoid dropping $2000 at the dealer on a bike that I love.  I appreciate any help you might have

Oh, and when I turned it off I noticed a couple drips of gas out from under the left side of the fairing.  Feel like it could be unrelated or not

Morning   adam_motorcycles

I'm not really sure what you have going on with that motorcycle. 

The stalling when getting of the hi-way is usually an idle stepper (Idle control Device) getting lost so it's "actual" counts are way lower then the fueling computer "commanded"  counts.  This is the place the steppers act up first (first stop after a long steady throttle with no stops). Once you restart  (that resets the steppers) & get into stop & go traffic the steppers can follow the throttle so typically don't get lost again until a steady throttle  hi-way run. 

On the "I started seeing things like the speedo dropping out and the abs light, the tac dropping out, the bights indicator dropping out" That could actually  be in your dash electronics, not unheard of & is usually heat related. 

All your on-board computers are linked over the CAN (Controller Area Network) & they do talk to each other. 

The ignition switch doesn't actually directly power the dash or the ZFE chassis computer as the ignition switch (key) needs to shake hands (register) with the  BMS-K for the engine to even start.

A GS-911 trapping data as you ride might show up something but it sounds like  (from the limited information) that you have 2 separate problems. 

• 2 weeks later...
adam_motorcycles

Update:

It is definitely more than one problem.  I am getting out of the heat in my garage for a moment.  

The fitting of the top of the pump had a bad crack.  I had a hard time finding information on that fitting, so for everyone else, the chromed brass version of it is a Colder LCD10006BSPT.  From looking around a little, it appears that other R-Heads use different threads.  That one is definitely a -6 tapered BSP thread.

I also appear to have a bad harness coming off the ignition.  I found it moving the bars around.  I found the exact arm.  I can grab it and jiggle it and kill the bike.  I'll uwrap that and square it away and report back on my situation

Stay Frosty