IGNORED

Burning oil smell

Rapala 50

I'm having an issue lately with the smell of burning oil, 2008 RT, 65k...It started after doing a 200 mile a few weeks ago, I had a warning light come on half way through the ride saying oil low, I stop the bike and put it on the center stand and the sight glass was at the top of the circle, restarted the bike and warning went away. But now when I start the bike and let it warm up, all I can smell is oil, like it's on the the exhaust pipe or something, not seeing anything though.... any thoughts ?

22 minutes ago, Rapala 50 said:

I'm having an issue lately with the smell of burning oil, 2008 RT, 65k...It started after doing a 200 mile a few weeks ago, I had a warning light come on half way through the ride saying oil low, I stop the bike and put it on the center stand and the sight glass was at the top of the circle, restarted the bike and warning went away. But now when I start the bike and let it warm up, all I can smell is oil, like it's on the the exhaust pipe or something, not seeing anything though.... any thoughts ?

Afternoon Rapala 50

You need to put your detective hat on,

I have seen more than a few BMW 1200 hexhead bikes that would seep a little oil out of the rear balance shaft seal. You really can't see the leak as it usually isn't much. 

That oil seep tends to blow back on the front of the catalytic converter then flash-off (but usually emits a burning oil smell). This flashing off usually doesn't leave any oil drips but can leave a few drops of oil under the motorcycle if parked for long periods.

Look CLOSELY at the front of the catalytic converter for black streaks, black soot, and/or a dark front on the cat. 

You can also put on a white glove (or use a white paper towel) then reach up on the rear engine sump porch (very difficult to get to) then try to reach in as far as you can. See if any signs of oil seepage comes out on the glove or paper towel.

I have also seen the air box bottom (inside the air box  below the filter element) fill with oil if the engine was overfilled with oil then ridden hard.

Probably not too relevant, but just in case, in my experience if riding in hot weather it is normal for a hexhead to consume oil and yes you can smell it.  It can be particularly severe in stop and go traffic.  As well, you would see that it had used some in the sight glass.  So, i don't know where you are what temps there have been but just thought I'd put that out there.

I had a chance to take a good look at it today, I can see where the oil is dripping onto the exhaust,  at first it looked like it was coming from the oil sight glass but after looking a a bit closer there a plug just above the the sight glass ( some type of sensor ) that it appears to be coming from. What am I looking at ? 

9 hours ago, Rapala 50 said:

I had a chance to take a good look at it today, I can see where the oil is dripping onto the exhaust,  at first it looked like it was coming from the oil sight glass but after looking a a bit closer there a plug just above the the sight glass ( some type of sensor ) that it appears to be coming from. What am I looking at ? 

Morning Rapala 50

There is an oil pressure sensor just above & to the rear of sights glass.

2QXpu4z.jpg

Yes DR, that's where the oil seems to be coming from. And that might explain why I had an Low Oil Warning, but the bike oil level isn't low....

I just had a sensor go bad on my car (Jeep) with the result that it blew out oil on exhaust and pressure gauge showed Zero pressure. Drove to mechanic who confirmed it was the sensor and we replaced it and all good. 

So one question would be if the leak is around it or from between metal and plastic connection. In my case it was not leaking through threads but from sensor "interior " the plastic portion gave way somehow.

ANyway it was an easy fix so I hope it is the same for yourself and if it didn't show low pressure then all was ok, low level is notoriously inaccurate at least on my 2006 RT. 

H

I went and pulled the Tupperware off to get a better look and found the inside of the sensor plug to have oil. I'll order one and hope that was the issue. 

20230910_095954.jpg

20230910_100134.jpg

20230910_102017.jpg