IGNORED

Rear Tire Issue

JamesW

Wow, another thread concerning my antique motorcycle.  I have a concern that I might have a future issue finding a rear tire for my oldie but a goodie '93 R1100RSL.  The rear wheel is an outlier with the 160X60 ZR18 rear tire which is available as we speak from Metzler made in China:4317:.  Hence my question:  Does anyone know of a manufacturer other than Metzler that can supply this rear tire?  I like Michelin tires the best but I don't think they can supply this tire size.  I just replaced the tires front and rear with new Metzler's so it isn't an urgent issue at the moment.

Look at Revzilla.com, they show Metzeler, Pirelli, Continental, Avon, and Bridgestone in this size. Cyclegear is part of Revzilla so you could look there and I am sure there are other places.

32 minutes ago, WRP said:

Arrrgh- when did Metz move production to China? Just put one on my rear hoop, couldn't readily get a Pilot-3. 

When they merged with Pirelli about 5 years ago. Crap shoot if the tire is made in Deutschland or China. No thanks for me

• Like 1

Yeah, my Metzlers say "made in China".  I can't really comment on if this has any effect on the quality of the tires and I can only hope Metzler played a part in making sure the tires are of good quality.  Maybe just psychological and the tires are alright.  I looked at Michelins in my sizes and struck out.  Too bad I can't fit a pair of wheels from the R1150 bikes as I think they would be less prone to pot hole damage which the R1100 wheels are known for.

Oh what the heck, I think my days on two wheels are about over anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 8:21 AM, 9Mary7 said:

My experience with the China factory Metzelers has been just as good as the German made.:java:

My experience is different. Bought a set of Roadtecs just as Metzler released them. Front made in China and within 1000 miles I had a horrible vibration.  Sent it back to Rocky Mountain who delt with Metzler and refunded my money.  Fast foward to last year bought a set of Scorpion Trail 2 for the GS (Pirelli owns Metzler and the Chinese factory makes both brands) front made in China.  Vibration from day one. Pulled the tire and there was a huge bulge inside the tire. Sent a few photos to Revzilla who refunded my money after they received the tire.  No more for me

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
35 minutes ago, MikeB60 said:

My experience is different. Bought a set of Roadtecs just as Metzler released them. Front made in China and within 1000 miles I had a horrible vibration.  Sent it back to Rocky Mountain who delt with Metzler and refunded my money.  Fast foward to last year bought a set of Scorpion Trail 2 for the GS (Pirelli owns Metzler and the Chinese factory makes both brands) front made in China.  Vibration from day one. Pulled the tire and there was a huge bulge inside the tire. Sent a few photos to Revzilla who refunded my money after they received the tire.  No more for me

I was about to try a set of Roadtec 01 SEs but after reading this I am sticking with Dunlops. Not interested in any tire made in China!

1 hour ago, MikeB60 said:

Well, that sucks. I have and had Scorpion trail II's and Z6 Roadtecs from that factory with no issues.....At least you were able to return them and didn't get hurt.

1 hour ago, Rockosmith said:

I was about to try a set of Roadtec 01 SEs but after reading this I am sticking with Dunlops. Not interested in any tire made in China!

Just know that my experience with the Buffalo New York made Dunlop was horrible in Moto-America competition. Only brand I like less is Michelin......:dontknow:

I have had two set of the Metzler Roadtec 01SEs and both were manufactured in Germany and I have had no issues. Both sets were purchased from Cycle Gear.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

Just know that my experience with the Buffalo New York made Dunlop was horrible in Moto-America competition. Only brand I like less is Michelin......:dontknow:

I was referring to street tires, Roadsmart 4, not competition track tires.  They suit me just fine.

• Like 1