IGNORED

Left footrest plate installation/HELP- Problem Solved

Cameleer

Hi to all, I was so proud of myself after successfully changing the starter on my 2001 1150RT until I hit a brickwall when re-installing the footrest plate as the upper M10 bolt will not go back in the frame as there is a small misalignment and I'm scared to force the screw in and possibly mess up the thread.

I have tried with the bike on the center stand, on wheels etc. but there is no change.

I have basic skills and even more basic tools.

Any ideas? Thanks

20798278-CFE1-401D-8618-41DC8BD151CC.jpeg

2809DFA9-DFBF-400B-BE89-A9786E9C3D62.jpeg

Edited by Cameleer
Solution found
17 minutes ago, Cameleer said:

Hi to all, I was so proud of myself after successfully changing the starter on my 2001 1150RT until I hit a brickwall when re-installing the footrest plate as the upper M10 bolt will not go back in the frame as there is a small misalignment and I'm scared to force the screw in and possibly mess up the thread.

I have tried with the bike on the center stand, on wheels etc. but there is no change.

Any ideas? Thanks

Evening Cameleer

It might be easy & it might not. 

Try taking the motorcycle off the center stand & placing it on it's wheels. 

With the motorcycle on the center stand that kind of loads & displaces the frame enough to make bolt reinstallation difficult.   

9 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Evening Cameleer

It might be easy & it might not. 

Try taking the motorcycle off the center stand & placing it on it's wheels. 

With the motorcycle on the center stand that kind of loads & displaces the frame enough to make bolt reinstallation difficult.   

Thanks for the reply, yes I tried that but to no avail. Tomorrow I'll fiddle a bit with the suspension preload and see if it changes anything. - I knew that it's preferable to change the starter without removing the plate, now I see why!

Regards, FR

12 hours ago, Cameleer said:

Thanks for the reply, yes I tried that but to no avail. Tomorrow I'll fiddle a bit with the suspension preload and see if it changes anything. - I knew that it's preferable to change the starter without removing the plate, now I see why!

Regards, FR

Evening,

Try having someone sit in the seat with it on it's wheels as the frame might still be off from the center stand. 

• Like 1
The Fabricator

You should be able to look in the bolt hole [with the foot rest plate removed] and visually see the mis-alignment.  Then it is a matter of shifting the steel pipe in the correct direction to force it into alignment.

• Like 1
  • Cameleer changed the title to Left footrest plate installation/HELP- Problem Solved
22 hours ago, Cameleer said:

Any ideas? Thanks

20798278-CFE1-401D-8618-41DC8BD151CC.jpeg

2809DFA9-DFBF-400B-BE89-A9786E9C3D62.jpeg

Well, after a couple of hours of jiggling and fiddling it finally got sorted out by following the advice given by you guys, and it worked like a dream.

I got the bike off the center stand and had a strong dude pull the frame back and up until the holes aligned perfectly and the screw went in, but not without effort.

As I don't have a torque wrench I just winged it and tried to guesstimate  (no idea what a 42Nm torque feels like) but did my best to not over-tighten it.

Thanks to you all for the kind help!

• Like 1