IGNORED

Cedar Key, FL, and Idalia

I heard on the news this AM that Cedar Key had 4 ft of water (storm surge).  It's a hilly little island but keep your fingers crossed for The Beach Front Motel.  Most of Dock Street looked to be 6-8 ft up from the water and Steamers is on the second floor there so maybe they are ok.

Edit - just found this.  Looks like The Beach Front first floor rooms are wet.

image.thumb.png.c0b41ca179446244bfcf2f1f1d6d5e65.png

• Sad 1

A lot will change between now and January when we have the lunch scheduled. I hope by then some of Cedar Key is back to being open for business. 

• Plus 1 1
On 8/30/2023 at 11:52 AM, taylor1 said:

We are already getting rain from the outer bands. Forecast 9 inches tonight and tomorrow.

Everything OK over there??

Got a lot of rain.@ 10 in. My house had some minor wind damage, but I won't complain. I feel for the folks in Fla. knowing what they have gone through and dealing with it. Fingers crossed, that's it for this year.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Everything OK over there??

Well, I am not 100% sure, but that area got a direct hit by a Category 4 hurricane, and that usually leaves a mark or two. But those folks are very resilient and they have a tendency to bounce back up. We will send a scouting team in December to find out if we can find a place for a lunch gathering or if it will be a picnic in a gas station parking lot. :4296:

No worries Lowdes. Even when I think that I know where I am, I'm still lost. Going to ride some mountains in South America this October. If you don't hear from me in November, yes please send a search party.    :)

Storm "Lee" is already building in the east Atlantic, forecast to be Cat 4 when getting to this side. Still to early for accurate landing location.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Lowndes said:

But you'll still be at FART, right??

Can't make Sparta unfortunately. Promised myself that I will not miss Start next year no matter what !

• Sad 2
  • 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Matts_12GS said:

My cousin just checked back in.  Looks like most everything is back open.

Do we have a date yet?

Yes, it is the Saturday after MLK Holiday. I think it is posted in the Calendar .

The 2024 Cedar Key Lunch event will be on by January 20, 2024 @ 11:30 am.

• 2 months later...

Update from @Calvin (no socks):

At approximately 12:45 Friday December 29th, the 363rd day of 2023 we rolled into Cedar Key to review the operational capabilities of Steamers Bar and Grill. It, being the odd week between Christmas and New Year’s meant seemingly everyone in the state had descend upon the tiny island. Due to this, parking was tight. The boat launch parking lot was nearly empty. Therefore, I and others parking there incurred  $50 parking tickets. The restaurant was packed but we soon found a spot at the bar. The items we selected from the menu were up to par and service was excellent.