IGNORED

New Right Handle Control; New Switch?

RK Ryder

My right turn signal has recently been constantly turning itself on. The local BMW dealership informed me that I needed a new right hand control unit, which arrived today.

Once home, I discovered that above the turn signal off switch is a yellow button which moves sideways. Called the dealership and the service/parts department double checked my bikes VIN and his parts fiche and although he did not know the purpose of the switch, he assured me that it would work on my ‘98 R1100RT.

is he right and what does that switch control?

Could it be the light switch? I know a lot of bikes come with permanently on lights, so have no switch, but on my 1100r the slide switch above the turn signal off button is for lights. 

13 hours ago, RK Ryder said:

My right turn signal has recently been constantly turning itself on. The local BMW dealership informed me that I needed a new right hand control unit, which arrived today.

Once home, I discovered that above the turn signal off switch is a yellow button which moves sideways. Called the dealership and the service/parts department double checked my bikes VIN and his parts fiche and although he did not know the purpose of the switch, he assured me that it would work on my ‘98 R1100RT.

is he right and what does that switch control?

Morning  RK Ryder

It sounds like they ordered you the European switch assembly. Or possibly the European switch (with headlight on/off switch) is all that BMW has in the system for service now. Would make sense to only service the one switch as it covers all applications. 

In any case look in your riders manual on about page 15,  even though you have a USA 1100R the manual probably shows the European switch & it's operation.  (look at number 9 in the diagram)

It should just plug & play in your motorcycle  (at least they used to anyhow). 

eBAtnJn.jpg

Good to know. I figured it might be a European switch assembly but my main concern was whether or not it would work before opening the package. 

Thank you for the replies.

Paul

34 minutes ago, RK Ryder said:

Good to know. I figured it might be a European switch assembly but my main concern was whether or not it would work before opening the package. 

Thank you for the replies.

Paul

Morning Paul

Well, it should work but on the 1100 (R) I'm not sure if it had/has the (headlight on all the time) jumper inside the old switch assembly or the jumper is remote on the chassis wire harness pig tail. 

If your NEW switch connects all the wire connectors to the existing harness connector then you are good to go, if you end up with a connector on the new switch  that isn't connected then you will have to find the chassis side mate then unplug the jumper in that chassis side connector then plug your new switch other connector in there. 

Sorry it is a little confusing but I can't remember if I have ever installed the European switch on the (R) bike, long ago I installed some on the (RT) bikes.    

Does you new replacement switch have 1 or 2 connectors on it? This should tell us what we are dealing with?

On 8/30/2023 at 9:43 AM, dirtrider said:

Morning Paul

Well, it should work but on the 1100 (R) I'm not sure if it had/has the (headlight on all the time) jumper inside the old switch assembly or the jumper is remote on the chassis wire harness pig tail. 

If your NEW switch connects all the wire connectors to the existing harness connector then you are good to go, if you end up with a connector on the new switch  that isn't connected then you will have to find the chassis side mate then unplug the jumper in that chassis side connector then plug your new switch other connector in there. 

Sorry it is a little confusing but I can't remember if I have ever installed the European switch on the (R) bike, long ago I installed some on the (RT) bikes.    

Does you new replacement switch have 1 or 2 connectors on it? This should tell us what we are dealing with?

There is only one connector on the new switch assembly.

3 hours ago, RK Ryder said:

There is only one connector on the new switch assembly.

Afternoon,

Then just plug it in & you should be good to go. 

6 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon,

Then just plug it in & you should be good to go. 

Good to know. Might be the first of the week before I can get to the bike.

Thank you.

Paul