IGNORED

Luggage?

JamesW

Morning all,  I waited too long to buy the factory luggage for my '93 R1100RSL and now BMW has discontinued the luggage.  I have looked for used but what I've found looks to be well used indeed and wouldn't do much for my pristine like new bike.  Have looked for aftermarket without success and not really interested in soft luggage.  Suggestions, I hope? - Thanks.

Tried Hepco Becker and no luck but I might give them a call.  I have a V46 trunk on the FJR and might be able to get a mount for the BMW.  Been thinking about selling the FJR and keep the BMW because the BMW is more comfortable and in general just more fun to ride and easier to work on and do preventive maintenance as well.  Also, I'm sold on telelever.  The other thing is it is far easier to get help in case of things like final drive and or transmission issues.  I really can't see integrated engine and transmissions not if I have a choice.  Oh, and I can't see hydraulic clutches either.  Sorry for drifting a bit off topic.

On 8/25/2023 at 12:05 PM, JamesW said:

Morning all,  I waited too long to buy the factory luggage for my '93 R1100RSL and now BMW has discontinued the luggage.  I have looked for used but what I've found looks to be well used indeed and wouldn't do much for my pristine like new bike.  Have looked for aftermarket without success and not really interested in soft luggage.  Suggestions, I hope? - Thanks.

I was led to believe that BMW would carry BMW OEM parts essentially forever.  Have you been told of an ofishul BMW policy on when BMW will no longer carry OEM?  I mean first no maintenance manuals, no parts.  This is sort of like the time you first hear there is no Santa Claus. 

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Red said:

I was led to believe that BMW would carry BMW OEM parts essentially forever.  Have you been told of an ofishul BMW policy on when BMW will no longer carry OEM?  I mean first no maintenance manuals, no parts.  This is sort of like the time you first hear there is no Santa Claus. 

It's worst than that.  A buddy can't get the painted part of the front fender to his Mars Red 19R1250RT, it hasn't been available for some time now.  He also been unable to find a painter that would match that color.  He ended up putting a black one on the bike. 

My local painter found the formula and was able to source the paint from his supplier.  

It was for some top case scratches and it was matched enough to be unable to tell the difference.    The fender?   "Close enough" works due to it being far enough away from other painted parts.  May I suggest the nose trim getting painted whilst getting the fender finished?   :bike:

PM me if your buddy needs info on the paint.   I still have the can and did photograph the label.

large.3994871.jpg.d12b92b031fb66112c9ab2e3764aaade.thumb.jpg.bfd7095f968ffe87fd23b9b1e05ddd17.jpg

• Like 1

A number of years ago, a friend had some BMW luggage painted. I recall he ordered the paint from Holt BMW in Ohio, who was known at the time for their motorcycle paintwork and expertise. I seem to recall they recommended/sold him an additional additive for the paint to help it adhere to the luggage plastic and have a little bit of "flex." Holt BMW is no longer in business, but the owners are now operating as Holt Design Organisation. They are apparently still in the painting business. You may want to check their website and give them a call.

• Like 2
On 8/26/2023 at 4:12 PM, Red said:

They certainly don't carry everything for ever. There are still many parts you can get from BMW going back to the airheads (beyond that, maybe?) but there are also things you can't get anymore for much newer bikes. Plastic parts - particularly painted body panels - seem to be the shortest supply/first to be NLA. 

@JamesW I think the thing that would work best is to just keep on the lookout for OEM luggage that's in good shape. I can't think of anything else that would look "right" on your bike. If you can afford it, you might consider buying a bike that has good luggage if you can't find it alone and then just reselling the bike. Particularly if the luggage is worth to you what BMW was charging new when you could still get it from them, you could resell the bike for a good bit less than you paid. 

5 hours ago, szurszewski said:

They certainly don't carry everything for ever. There are still many parts you can get from BMW going back to the airheads (beyond that, maybe?) but there are also things you can't get anymore for much newer bikes. Plastic parts - particularly painted body panels - seem to be the shortest supply/first to be NLA. 

@JamesW I think the thing that would work best is to just keep on the lookout for OEM luggage that's in good shape. I can't think of anything else that would look "right" on your bike. If you can afford it, you might consider buying a bike that has good luggage if you can't find it alone and then just reselling the bike. Particularly if the luggage is worth to you what BMW was charging new when you could still get it from them, you could resell the bike for a good bit less than you paid. 

That's an interesting idea.  I'll give it some thought.  It was nice when I still owned my '04 R1150RT and could use its luggage.  Really never occurred to me that BMW would stop selling the OEM luggage expensive though it was but with BMW what isn't expensive?

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Really never occurred to me that BMW would stop selling the OEM luggage

It has been nearly twenty years since the last bike that used that luggage rolled off the assembly line. If they still produced/had produced and stocked luggage to fit all current and previous generations and models that would be pretty amazing. 

• Plus 1 1

I find it odd that there is an expectation that BMW or any manufacturer would still be producing ancillary parts like luggage for their vehicles. And if they did, I expect the price would induce a heart attack. At one point I was searching for the same vintage 33l top case & retail is around $500 without backpad.

Start scouring ebay, Craigslist & the usual bmw forum’s classifieds. If you’re looking to have them painted, the nicks & dings can be repaired as part of paint prep. Another idea would be to ask folks who are selling their bikes if they might be interested in selling luggage separately. Personally I wouldn’t do it but might be worth the ask if you find the right seller. 

2 hours ago, TEWKS said:

If that wasn't on the wrong side of the country, and the boxes looked good - that might be a good one. If you could resell the bike for $3k the boxes would be pretty cheap - but I suppose the harder part is going to be finding someone who wants to buy an rt or rs without luggage. Might have to make it really complicated and buy a not so nice set of luggage from ebay, a bike with excellent luggage, then sell the bike with the ebay luggage and keep the excellent. 

James is retired - he's got nothing but time for shenanigans like this!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

James could have it shipped to him and still only spend the asking price for that RT

Much bigger number on the odometer though. Would those bags fit his RSL? :5146:

I gotta say that K1200 is a pretty beast for sure and the bags certainly look like the OEM's for my bike.  Would have to have it shipped.  Think I'll just keep a look out for a pair of used.  Too bad the FJR bags won't work and they even have painted lids.  Hey, I got it....sell the BMW.  Actually if I had any sense I'd sell 'em both.  :14:  Now there's an idea I bet the wife would approve of. lol..lol..

6 hours ago, Red said:

No oil rig workers!  Wassup wit dat?

I took it as no offshore sales. “my cousin will wire you a thousand extra dollars to your account” if you can help set up shipping to Zimbabwe. :/

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Much bigger number on the odometer though. Would those bags fit his RSL? :5146:

Oops - you are correct and they will not. K1200 on the left and oilheads middle (for over exhaust - GS/R) and right. I didn't used to know much and now I can't even remember that!

image.png.64ec7ad97990cec32058ea56463e5783.png

13 hours ago, JamesW said:

I gotta say that K1200 is a pretty beast for sure and the bags certainly look like the OEM's for my bike.  Would have to have it shipped.  Think I'll just keep a look out for a pair of used.  Too bad the FJR bags won't work and they even have painted lids.  Hey, I got it....sell the BMW.  Actually if I had any sense I'd sell 'em both.  :14:  Now there's an idea I bet the wife would approve of. lol..lol..

Well, good thing you didn't buy it already - but I guess you could tell the missus you were misled on line and it wasn't your fault you now have three bikes. You're welcome ;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JamesW said:

Be better to just keep the FJR with its bags and V46 trunk.  Probably more reliable as well.  lol..lol..

But deep down, you’re really a Beemer guy. :spittake:

7 hours ago, TEWKS said:

Shipping will probably double the price of them but some white Pearl paint and a locksmith, you’ll be styling. :cool: PS…I didn’t do the work to make sure they will fit so… :dontknow:

edit… more thinking, they have the cutout for the high exhaust which I don’t think your bike needs. :classic_mellow:

The cutout would make them not from an RT as the seller listed. 

They look kind of rough.  I've decided to not be concerned about luggage since my touring days are pretty much over.  Probably if I was to go for an overnighter I would take the FJR anyway.  It's a bit heavy though.  Have had a bad month with lots of pain so went to the doc and found out I have arthritis in both hips with degenerative disc disease with L1 & L2 discs the worst.  Just the way it is when age creeps up on you.  Another bad night last night and I thought I was on the mend.  Grrrrrrr....

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, szurszewski said:

The cutout would make them not from an RT as the seller listed

That’s not how I read it. :dontknow:

BMW OEM 93-06 R1150RT SADDLE BAGS SYSTEM CASES PANNIERS LUGGAGE R1150R - $160 (South Amboy)

Sorry you’re having some issues James, hopefully things will improve! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1