IGNORED

Fast idle issue

Pborgia

New here. 04 r1150r. 3500 miles when I got 3 months ago. Idles at 1500. New injectors from Till , af-xied, new plugs , air cleaner is k&n. I can balance the idle with BBS using a carb tune, at 3k I tried adjusting the cables I can’t get it . Ive tried adjusting the fast idle cable, no luck. The cables have slack , enough for the cable to come out of the adjuster. I’m at wits end and can’t figure out why I can’t do a simple balance or get the idle correct. Any ideas ? Any help is appreciated 

7 hours ago, Pborgia said:

New here. 04 r1150r. 3500 miles when I got 3 months ago. Idles at 1500. New injectors from Till , af-xied, new plugs , air cleaner is k&n. I can balance the idle with BBS using a carb tune, at 3k I tried adjusting the cables I can’t get it . Ive tried adjusting the fast idle cable, no luck. The cables have slack , enough for the cable to come out of the adjuster. I’m at wits end and can’t figure out why I can’t do a simple balance or get the idle correct. Any ideas ? Any help is appreciated 

Morning  Pborgia

If you can balance the idle then you should be able to balance at 3k with the cables. 

How far is it off at 3K?

If you have cable slack at 3K then you do have serious issues so I believe that your cable slack must only be at curb idle.

With throttle held at 3K can you get the cross-side balance to change by putting a finger on the cable & pushing lightly. (do this on each side) 

Are BOTH side cables tight at 3K, if so & you haven't run out of cable adjuster adjustment, AND your  carb tune is working correctly, then IT WILL BALANCE. 

Start by hooking both carb tune hoses to only one side throttle body using a Tee , then run to 3k & see if the carb tune shows the exact same reading on both. If they don't then you have carb tune issues.

Keep in mind that tightening the cable opens the throttle plate MORE so that LOWERS the vacuum on that side (a lot of people get this wrong). The farther the throttle plate is opened the lower the vacuum is on that side. 

On the fast idle issue. How fast is it idling on a warm engine? 

With the new injectors from Till and the af-xied it might be getting too much fuel sprayed in at idle so, depending, and assuming loose main cables on both sides at curb idle, then you might have to back the base idle screws out a little (evenly) until the warm engine curb idle speed lowers.

I would assume that at only  3500 miles you don't have worn throttle shafts or bushing allowing any extra air in from that area. 

• 3 weeks later...

My throttle stops weren’t adjusted properly. Idle was like 1500 rpm. I had a guy show me how to adjust it. On the  motor side of the throttle body there is an adjustment screw by the wheel the throttle cable end goes into. My carb  tune is fine I reversed vacuum hoses and got same readings. The bbs were all the way in. I backed them out to 1 1/2 turns to start. Someone messed with the bbs and throttle stops before I got it. Not sure why, as it only had 3500 miles on it. Seems good now. But I will try to rebalance at 3k after some more miles.  Thanks for the help