IGNORED

TPMS Battery replacement (RDC)

hefy_jefy

I have sucessfully replaced batteries in three of these units (BMW Part# 8532732) from my 2014 R1200RTW.

On each occasion the unit IDs were programmed with my GS911, and they worked every time.

However on each occasion they quit after about 200 miles. When I pulled them apart the battery voltages were still close to 3v. I tried two different types of battery, the more expensive Cr2050HR and cheaper CR2050.

Finally I purchased these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224724904840  (two for $25) and they are working just fine after 500 miles.

My point is that when these units fail perhaps its not the battery, also note that according to the drivers handbook there is a warning when the unit battery voltage is low. (see attached) I have never seen this indication.

So why do these things quit?  I have no idea, maybe some boffin at Schrader or BMW knows but my local BMW shop just said "oh we just put in a new unit" - sure at $225 each plus fitting!

Bottom line, for $25 you can get two of these its not worth messing around replacing batteries!

Geoff

Image1.jpg

• Like 1

Outside of NA the Schrader 3141M is available as a direct replacement for the "new style" BMW sensors that the dealers sell and it is much less expensive. The BMW part is identical but with a BMW logo. I guess BMW exerted some kind of leverage on Schrader to keep the 3141M out of the NA market.

Another OEM quality alternative is the Schrader 33900 programmable sensor. When programmed as it it was going to be installed in a 2009 Saturn Astra it is compatible with all the BMW bikes equipped with the Schrader RDC. The 33900 is readily available in NA and less expensive that the 3141M.

You have any more info on the 33900 setup?  I have an Autel TS408 device for TPMS.  Not sure if that will reprogram the new model?

Also, I'm assuming you would still need the bolt from 314M to work?  Or does it replace the banana directly?

The 33900 is the same form factor as the new style BMW sensors and the 3141M so yes you also need the "service kit" for mounting. There are three possibilities depending on the wheel style - straight valve, angled valve and mounting bolt for those wheels with the valve in the spoke rather than the rim.

The straight and angled service kits are readily available at much less cost that the BMW parts. The bolt however seems very hard to find so may be only available as the BMW part.

I don't see the TS408 listed as one of the tools capable of programming the 33900. If one purchases the 33900 at a tire store there is good chance that the store will program it for free though.

If your TS408 has the 2009 Saturn Astra as a selection you can probably wake up and diagnose your bike's sensors with it.

I have replaced several TP sensors on my Wethead RTs and never saw any indication of low battery voltage either. They become intermittent for a while and then just quit.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, RadioFlyer said:

The 33900 is the same form factor as the new style BMW sensors and the 3141M so yes you also need the "service kit" for mounting. There are three possibilities depending on the wheel style - straight valve, angled valve and mounting bolt for those wheels with the valve in the spoke rather than the rim.

if your TS408 has the 2009 Saturn Astra as a selection you can probably wake up and diagnose your bike's sensors with it.

I have the RT, so no spokes.  Looks like mine just bolts right up to the rim. 

I read a manual online.  It looks like my TS408 does have a clone feature.  I'll have to update the device and see if I can figure it out.  If I can close the existing ID into a new Schrader, that will be helpful.  Then I wouldn't even need the GS911 to re-setup the TPMS sensors.

Just to be clear - cloning an ID is not the same as programming a 33900 to act as a compatible sensor.

The 3141M comes pre-programmed and it can be cloned.

The 33900 comes unprogrammed and must first be programmed to act as a compatible sensor.

I wasn't sure from your post if you knew the difference. 

• 1 month later...

I am a bit late to the party, but i made it.

The Autel TPMS tool cannot program the Schrader EZ Sensor, that is the 33900. 

The Autel tools will only program Autel programmable sensors.

In order to program the Schrader EZ Sensor (33900) you need a TPMS tool that is specifically set up for the Schrader EZ sensors or a TPMS tool that can program a wide variety of different makes of programable sensors.

Like all things in life, the price you pay dictates what you get.  Ask the wife !:4323: