IGNORED

Cherohala Closure

The washout is somewhere between Old Furnace Rd and River Rd on the Tellico Plains end of the Skyway.  You would be better suited than me to select alternative routing.   The river is on one side and a lot of dead end roads on the other side.  :dontknow:

Is the Dirt Cherohala an off-road bypass where ever the space allows or is it a known route to you GS-type people?   (asking for a friend)

33 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Can you bypass the washout on the Dirt Cherohala? 

Pat, you got skills feel sure it's doable but make sure to launch the drone so we can watch!Screenshot_20230820_141736_Chrome.thumb.jpg.63d37ae9e883239550a04ef71dc1c28d.jpg

• Haha 3

There is a paved work around for the Cherohala closure I have ridden before utilizing Rafter Road.  I was planning to head up to Tellico yesterday to try it until I saw this.  In a couple weeks I will take a ride up that way for a first hand look at what’s what. Will report back here.

7CF64BA6-6BEB-4DFF-901D-87D31F62430E.thumb.jpeg.715e7c52431575c2410a1cb66e410a5c.jpeg

• Sad 1
On 8/20/2023 at 8:08 AM, TEWKS said:

I believe it’s where the red arrow is pointing. Bill recommended it but I put it in the bank. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5587c026dad456e2a6bf0d044ec0e7ee.jpeg

Damage appears to be just west of where the dirt Cherohala (River Rd) joins back in on the Tenn side so yeah you could ride most of the Cherohala from Robbinsville and the dirt back unless one's riding choices are limited on an RT then you could just turn around and ride pavement back : )

We were over that way late Sunday and did the Gap, Happy Valley, and Foothills Pkwy in the vert, I think the storm/front hit later that night but we were back in Franklin by then and Fla the next afternoon so were lucky to miss it.

• Like 2
lawnchairboy
6 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Pat, you got skills feel sure it's doable but make sure to launch the drone so we can watch!Screenshot_20230820_141736_Chrome.thumb.jpg.63d37ae9e883239550a04ef71dc1c28d.jpg

just gas it....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, lawnchairboy said:

just gas it....

And pray if you're of the faith! :spittake:

I'd need a foot and a half of gravel sloped back at a 22 degree angle (or a ramp ;)) and 40 mph. :revit: 

18 hours ago, Rockosmith said:

Fresh Cherohala update.

565D46E7-D2CF-42A8-8DDC-56FAABE3FC98.thumb.png.ca9e20697f20457ee6ee0a3a7a72cddc.png

FINGERS CROSSED. I planned on riding through end of Sept.  on way back from RA Rally at Canaan Resort.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest update I could find: 

"TDOT wrote on social media on Wednesday that, weather permitting, the roadway is anticipated to reopen by Friday, September 22."

Link to the full article HERE  

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
On 9/10/2023 at 9:07 AM, Chris K said:

"TDOT wrote on social media on Wednesday that, weather permitting, the roadway is anticipated to reopen by Friday, September 22."

Link to the full article HERE  

That would be nice. I'd like to run it on my way back south after leaving FART, probably on 25th.

Even if TDOT misses the projected completion date there is a work around on a one lane paved road.  It is fairly narrow with a few blind curves so a fairly sedate pace is called for. Turkey Creek Road, Shaw Mountain Road, and Rafter Road gets you around the closure.

• Like 2

Three cheers for TDOT! I always head up there to ride for a couple of days before heading to Barber for the Vintage Festival. BMW is supposedly putting on a big do as part of their anniversary celebrations. Ohhh! Maybe free keychains.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:27 PM, EjectTheDead said:

I remember riding that route a while back, and it was breathtaking. Let's hope they get it fixed up.

Thanks for the update. That's unfortunate news about the Cherohala Skyway closure. I remember riding that route a while back, and it was breathtaking. Let's hope they get it fixed up soon so we can all enjoy those scenic views again! And I hope they arrange a huge party this year and invite Los Angeles Event Lighting, like they did once. It was amazing!