IGNORED

RAIN GEAR Suggestions

gmcjetpilot

Looking for advice on budget rain gear. Never owned any, at least for motorcycle riding. I am (not kidding) looking at Frog Toggs $20-25. I have to laugh. They add  "motorcycle" to "rain suit" price doubles, and they look cheap and dodgy. The $25 Frog Toggs look better by a country mile. I don't expect these to last a life time. Just an emergency if I can't get shelter.

How do sizes run? I wear XL riding jacket and XL short riding pants. Since it will go over my riding jacket and pants with armor guessing 1 or 2 sizes larger, XXL?  Need it to go on easy but not be a tent or arms and legs 10 inches too long 

My R1150RT has good protection from wind and rain. The part most exposed are the boots, so boot covers are a must. I don't want to spend a lot. This is insurance I hope not to need. Suggestions welcome. 

Going on 13 day 2000 mi ride end of Sept TN, KY, WV, VA, SC, NC.

My philosophy is no (riding in rain, at least extended distance). Stop under overpasss, get off highway, let weather pass.

Since I am going off interstates and areas with services spread out, I should prepare. Weather looks good for trip but who knows. 

I've had twenty years experience on the same bike. Years ago I had a Moto Line Gore-Tex rainsuit that worked wonderfully. But, I lost it when a saddlebag flew off one day. I tried Frogg Toggs for one very short, wet weekend and they were a disaster. 30 min in the rain and the water just kept coming in.

I bit the bullet and bought a BMW Klimakomfort Gore-Tex 2 piece suit. I know you're on a budget, but unless Frogg Toggs made major changes, you're wasting your money.

Gore-Tex boots, currently wearing AlpineStars and they're great. BMW Gore-Tex gloves haven't worked too well so I recently got a set of the Aerostich Triple Digit gloves to go over. I got caught in a storm yesterday (about 30 min.) and my hands were completely dry. https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/gloves/rain-glove-covers/aerostich-triple-digit-glove-covers.html

One thing to consider, that on a long trip, you may be in a day long rain, so waiting it out under a bridge doesn't always work. Cheap raingear might keep you dry for short periods, but like the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

If you want cheap....I would suggest not going any cheaper than this.  Tour Master Shield Two Piece Rain Suit - RevZilla  

If you want the very best rain jacket made, by this from Simms

M's G3 Guide Wading Jacket | Simms Fishing Products

I bought some very cheap stuff on my first cross country...then an 1150RT....It lasted a few hundred miles, I was drenched, and it eventually blew apart.

Tour Master in the first link is my backup gear and it's pretty good.

You can also go to a major fishing store like Bass Pro or Cabella's as well as Cycle Gear and try them on.  You want them pretty big to fit over your riding gear.

I concur with RPG...Frog Toggs is not the answer.

The joy from saving money is quickly lost with inferiority of a product.

I consider rain gear to be safety gear, like a good helmet and boots. Spend for a quality product. Riding gear is not like fishing gear, it is subjected to greater extremes, and equipment failure can lead to greater injury. If you don't want them when done using them, sell them for a small loss and consider that the cost of rental. 

As mentioned, while you might think you'll only need them for a short time, what if you don't, and need them for a substantial amount of time. 

Like insurance, the best rainsuit is the one you never need, but is not something you want to question if you do.

• Like 1

You’re going to encounter rain on your ride & hiding under a bridge to wait it out is not an option. Your RT offers great weather protection, though. My suggestion isn’t a solution for your upcoming trip but something to consider for the future.

I’d take a serious look at an Aerostich R3 1 piece suit. It’s the company’s latest version in the Roadcrafter line. For reference, I bought a 2 piece RC back in 1999 & got over 20 years of riding out of it through all types of weather from sun to snow. It is a fantastic piece of riding & safety kit but it was time to retire it which leads me to the R3. 

The R3 is an unlined, heavy cordura material on the outside with goretex in there somewhere. The suit is a bit cooler than my old Roadcrafter & the rain protection is superb. I rode through around 150 miles of very heavy rain from Gardner, ME to York, ME & not a drop of water got through the suit. And being it’s my normal riding gear that doubles as rain gear is a huge plus for me. The R3 has Velcro pockets for the knee, elbow & shoulder padding which allows for an even more customized fit. Another optional feature is a set of waterproof boot covers that Velcro into the pant legs which can be deployed to help keep water out of non waterproof boots. 

I use XXL dishwashing gloves that slip over a lightweight riding glove to keep my hands dry. On my feet, I’ve got a set of Daytona waterproof boots that are fantastic. 

If you’re planning to four on the bike, it really pays off in the long run to spend the money to help keep you dry, warm & safe in bad weather which you’re going to have to deal with. It costs a lot upfront, undoubtedly, but for a bit under 2 grand in gear, I’ve got my riding kit pretty much covered for the next 2 decades as long as I maintain it properly. A hundred bucks a year is cheap insurance to help me keep dry, warm & safe on the road. 

• Like 1

So, I mostly stay dry with the Aerostich,.....that water has a way of getting to the crotch, everywhere else, dry, completely dry.

I put Neverwet on the crotch area and it takes care of the issues.

If you're cheep like me, you can source a used one piece Aerostich......got mine for 'bout $300ish if I 'memba correctly.

• Like 1

The question you need to ask yourself is "do i want to stay DRY or do I want to go cheap?"  I used the Tourmaster, simple vinyl, cheap crap for years.  Pain in the ass to put on, kinda mostly maybe dry, cooked like a hotdog in water, pain in the ass to take off.

Over 4th of July weekend took a trip from Ohio to Acadia (about 1100 mi 1 way ish).  Had purchase and used a BMW 2 piece rain suit ($250).  In this case buy once, cry once, and stayed COMPLETLEY dry in hours long deluge.  17 1200 GS.   Aerostich 2 finger gauntlets (VERY nice), and rain overboots over my riding shoes.  

So....do you want first class comfort of staying dry and focusing on riding or managing to kinda stay mostly dry and distracted?

• Like 2
Dennis Andress

First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and pants kept me dry and warm through a few winter rides on the Olympic peninsula. 

• Like 1

Budget rain gear. The joe rocket rain gear works just fine. It is a pain to get it on over your other stuff. And in the summer it’s hot as balls. But it does work and mine has held up fine over the years. I hate wearing it. 

• Like 1

I've been using a Gore Tex LL Bean top and bottom suit for years. Great for the beach, kayak, bicycle, camping as well. Just have to be sure that it fits over your riding jacket and pants and has enough room when you grab those handlebars rolling down the road. Tight closeure at the neck, sleeve and  leg cuff are critcal. And they have to compress so they don't take up too much room. If you're gonna have them for ten or fifteen years, It's worth an investment.

I got my rain gear.  Don't laugh at the rain poncho. In SE Asia  (visited there) I saw 1000's of scooters and sea of humanity wearing ponchos in the rain (not all as elaborate as that one however). The plastic garbage bag and shopping bags is classic.... Just for fun, I never would do that. :classic_rolleyes:

image.jpeg.957aef0ae1af72e18e435916727e4013.jpeg

I am kidding or am I. So I did buy $9.99 Rain Suit from Harbor Freight. It is HEAVY duty and would keep you dry, but too heavy, stiff thick PVC/Polyester . Very little ventilation it would be a sauna.  I RETURNED IT.... Hey had to see. If I was on a fishing trawler it would be great. BAG FOR BOOTS. They are disposable. I bought a bunch for $0.50/ea. for car, motorcycle, home, work.  My bike boots are water proof-ISH and spray them with water repellant.  However the boots are least protected and front tire spray gets boots wet. The boot bags might be OK. I am giving it a try 

image.jpeg.5d75e82666e998470411f8d4449859ba.jpeg

I ended up with Frogg Toggs All Sport. The hood is removable and the collar is very tall. It is light and great consumer comments and ratings. I caught a sale on their website on a closeout for Short version about $30 all in. I am happy. They go over riding gear and don't look too TENT LIKE.. They only had black in my size on sale. They do make High Vis colors and reflective strip versions. They have different models than All Sport.... However I have a safety vest I could add for visibility. I am not going to ride at night in the rain. They should be great for emergencies, lightweight, good design. I AM NOT PROMOTING THIS.... I have not tested it in the rain, but for the price it is good for me. I did see a YT vid on this suit from a motorcyclist and he gave it a yeah sure, pretty good. If you want Frogg Toggs look for sales, free shipping. Shop around. But the above suggestions in this thread may be better? If this does not work on the bike I still can use it for general use, walking around the homestead, keep in the car or airplane....

image.jpeg.6ebd85cc701e858fac10cb8568cdbbb9.jpeg

I could have got $1200-$1600 Aerostitch or Klim Gortex Riding gear...... It will be OK. If I get wet I get wet. Again I don't plan on pounding out 1000's of miles in rain. It is like cross country canoeing and camping. It is OK if you fall in as long as your gear and food is dry in waterproof bags.   Bottom line I can ride in light rain for 30 mins, with my normal synthetic jacket and pants and not get wet, or at least too wet it will not dry off quickly.  The R1150RT fairing is that good. Boots however get wet  from front tire water spray. I address that above with boot bags (I know not very BMW like).  As far as gloves I have good leather/synthetic gloves. Never got them wet but guess they will get soggy. I will carry some thinner synthetic work gloves, more proof and less soggy when wet I am sure. When it stops raining I will put my dry good leather/synthetic gloves on.  That is the plan. Looking at long term Weather it looks good for my trip. Hope they fix Cherohala Skyway by end of Sept.

My rain gear has reflective piping and some graphics. While I don't necessarily ride at night in the rain, it does get darker and harder to see in the rain even during the day, a little more visibility to accompanying traffic is always welcome.

Keep an eye on those rain boot covers and make sure they do not start shredding and getting wrapped around a heat source.   Just sayin'

This can help with your gloves. I have some 3x like these and some large. If caught out in rain with my leather glove on, I slip a pair of 3x over them. Instant waterproof. In winter if hands get cold, I wear a pair of large under my gloves. Cheap insurance. I buy boxes of them for working on things when Harbor freight runs a sale on them

25D12B8A-8D87-4D73-8738-5E50C9AA1BEB.jpeg

• Like 1

I have gone through many iterations of rain gear.  At this point, I wear a rain-proof riding jacket and carry a Warm'n'Safe waterproof electric jacket liner. I discard the worthless padded liners that come with nice jackets.   I wear mesh overpants, and wear synthetic trousers and I don't worry about getting wet legs.  I wear Goretex lined boots.  And I carry a pair of Held Goretex riding gloves in my tailcase. 

As an aside, I also carry a soaker vest in a 2.5 gallon zip lock bag, and a pint of water in case it gets hot.  With this combination, I can cope with just about any type of weather. 

One more thing: if I stop to switch gloves after it starts to rain, I find it difficult to get my wet hands into dry gloves.  So, I carry a tiny bottle of Gold Bond powder to dust my hands before I try to pull on my rain gloves.

• Like 1