IGNORED

Looked at an 09RT last night

DavidR8

Went with moderate hopes of it being decent.

A few red flags:

Listed as a 2010 for $5200  but valve covers say it's an 09 or earlier.

Mileage listed as 40,000 kms but actually 47000. The actual mileage is fine but the inaccuracy is not.

Seller said it had all options except heated seats. Also said new Pilot Road 5s and new battery.

Screenshot2023-08-15at8_37_18AM.thumb.png.8e5f4a21746587cdce97416a90deaf26.pngScreenshot2023-08-15at8_37_01AM.thumb.png.7429e9436e8c9af7235f0f25c4db096e.png

VIN check say build date of 08-12-17 so it's a 2009.

It has:

Lowering (not keen  on lowered as I've ridden standard height RTs and I'm fine with the height)
Heated grips

Cruise

Tire pressure monitoring

OBC

Clear turn signals

Powerlet socket

Screenshot2023-08-15at8_19_12AM.thumb.png.d92a4f2adae5965605eb0369267c333a.png
Parked outside instead of under cover.

Corrosion evident on the shift lever and upper fork tubes.

Custom Rich's riders seat is basically trash.

No ESA is not a deal breaker in fact I'd prefer a bike without ESA.

Tires were definitely not new, front was very scalloped and the rear was almost down to the wear bars.

Has zero service records. Was bought from my local dealer but seller never thought to ask for the service records.

I'll call the dealer and see if they will give me service records.
Edit: dealer said they have not seen the bike since 2016 when they replaced the rear wheel flange.

23 minutes ago, DavidR8 said:

Went with moderate hopes of it being decent.

A few red flags:

Listed as a 2010 for $5200  but valve covers say it's an 09 or earlier.

Mileage listed as 40,000 kms but actually 47000. The actual mileage is fine but the inaccuracy is not.

Seller said it had all options except heated seats. Also said new Pilot Road 5s and new battery.

Screenshot2023-08-15at8_37_18AM.thumb.png.8e5f4a21746587cdce97416a90deaf26.png

VIN check say build date of 08-12-17 so it's a 2009.

It has:

Lowering (not keen  on lowered as I've ridden standard height RTs and I'm fine with the height)
Heated grips

Cruise

Tire pressure monitoring

OBC

Clear turn signals

Powerlet socket

Parked outside instead of under cover.

Corrosion evident on the shift lever and upper fork tubes.

Custom Rich's riders seat is basically trash.

No ESA is not a deal breaker in fact I'd prefer a bike without ESA.

Tires were definitely not new, front was very scalloped and the rear was almost down to the wear bars.

Has zero service records. Was bought from my local dealer but seller never thought to ask for the service records.

I'll call the dealer and see if they will give me service records.

Afternoon David

That bike would definitely be a walk-away for me personally. (even at a much lower price)

Don't be in a hurry & buy something that you will be unhappy with for years & many dollars.

Just be patient, good used hexheads & camheads show up at decent price. You just can't be in a hurry. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 3
13 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon David

That bike would definitely be a walk-away for me personally. (even at a much lower price)

Don't be in a hurry & buy something that you will be unhappy with for years & many dollars.

Just be patient, good used hexheads & camheads show up at decent price. You just can't be in a hurry. 

Yeah, I think so too. Too many red flags and things that don't add up.

Also found out that the lovely blue 2013 at the dealer needs new crank seal so they are selling it as a project. Definitely not interested in that.

That one would be easy to walk away from, just based on the info provided about the tires and the actual condition of them. 

The seller probably wouldn't be happy with me once we started talking.

Or, I'd walk up, one look, and nope.

2 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

That one would be easy to walk away from, just based on the info provided about the tires and the actual condition of them. 

The seller probably wouldn't be happy with me once we started talking.

Or, I'd walk up, one look, and nope.

I told him last night that the tires were definitely not new. He was not pleased. Oh well not my problem.

• Like 1

The year on the title may not match the actual manufacture . Years back ,I bought a 1985 K100 . I started removing the front end to installan R100RS fairing on it . I talked to the dealer about a differant speedometer mount I would need . Turns out the bike was actually made in very early 1984 and was in fact a grey market bike . Lot's of vehicles aren't made in the year that is on the title 

• Like 1

Where are you located? I do have a 2006 RT with ab. 40,000miles (not km) always garaged and serviced and in mint condition with some extras... I recently moved to South FL if you have any interest. 

H

1 minute ago, bimmers said:

Where are you located? I do have a 2006 RT with ab. 40,000miles (not km) always garaged and serviced and in mint condition with some extras... I recently moved to South FL if you have any interest. 

H

That would be one heck of a fly and ride as I'm on Vancouver Island Canada :)

Yes that is a little rough. A very nice area though, I'm in contact with a colleague/friend in Vancouver weekly but all is virtual so no traveling anymore.

Anyway, I do believe there are good bikes out there a little closer and if you can get someone to inspect on your behalf and take lots of pictures you can always arrange for shipping to Seattle and then ride it across the border. Logistically easier than shipping across the border.

As I said my example is one that I've had since new and as you can see in my profile I had two of them (one in FL and one in GA) when I got the 1250. Gave the 2009 away and kept one as dealer did not offer anything to speak of for them. (Actual mileage 40,961!)

Good luck with your hunting these bikes can run forever when maintained

H

• Like 1

The only way I’d consider that is if it was cheap enough to ride until it died and then leave it dead. (Like hundreds of dollars - not thousands.)

Wrong about year, wrong about mileage, wrong about tires - why even ask about service records? 

You’d be way ahead buying something good and having it shipped vs paying lots to fix up something like that. 

• Like 1

Talking about years on bikes and cars;

Some start the next model year deliveries already in may. My 06 was made in 08/05, the 21 in 01/21, my car a 21 was made in 08/20 another car a 12 in 12/11 and so on. 

What is different from country to country is how they register them. In some countries the registration determines the "model" year as well. So if a 21 model car is registered in 2020 you would have to sell it as a 2020 car. Still the model year is 2021 so marketing it may be a gray area. 

The 09 I had I do not remember when it was made but I got it 3rd hand and it had been stored outside for a while and although all service records were clear I did a lot of clean up and detailing to get it to shine, even panniers paint was dulled but mechanically the bile was in good shape. 

Miles and service/maintenance are most important and of course esthetics show how it has been stored and cared for. Wrecks is another issue altogether. 

Looks like a good find on the surface and close by so a thorough inspection can be done. 

Happy and Safe Motoring 

H

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

David, my opinion is this is one of those 'walkaway and keep looking' situations.

When I was shopping for an RT over several months, my shopping experience evolved (for these particular bikes) - don't buy the bike, buy the owner.    I looked at several bikes, many of which were same condition as the one you looked at - stored outdoors, rust, general poor condition, etc. Unless the bike is in perfect condition, walk away and keep looking.   There is a perfect RT out there somewhere that's been well cared for by the owner.  I never thought I would want a first year model of a 1200RT, but the owner of had taken such good care of it, and all of the supposed major failure points (ABS Servo, clutch, fuel pump, etc.) had been addressed.   It took several months, but I found the perfect bike and couldn't be happier.

Don't buy the bike, buy the owner!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, JPA said:

David, my opinion is this is one of those 'walkaway and keep looking' situations.

When I was shopping for an RT over several months, my shopping experience evolved (for these particular bikes) - don't buy the bike, buy the owner.    I looked at several bikes, many of which were same condition as the one you looked at - stored outdoors, rust, general poor condition, etc. Unless the bike is in perfect condition, walk away and keep looking.   There is a perfect RT out there somewhere that's been well cared for by the owner.  I never thought I would want a first year model of a 1200RT, but the owner of had taken such good care of it, and all of the supposed major failure points (ABS Servo, clutch, fuel pump, etc.) had been addressed.   It took several months, but I found the perfect bike and couldn't be happier.

Don't buy the bike, buy the owner!

I agree completely. This was the case when we bought our ST. The owner's garage was immaculate, the bike was immaculate. I was sold before I even looked it over.

• 1 month later...