IGNORED

Final drive grease

Dave P

2007 1200RT- I swung the final drive down to drain the oil in my final, need to grease the male / female splines. I want to be sure to use the correct grease. Can I get Assembly Lube (Autozone has Lucas) to use in there? I just have simple synthetic grease (for brake work) and a tube of BMW lubricant #10 (lithium extreme pressure grease). BelRay is way across town. Thanks, Dave

1 hour ago, Dave P said:

2007 1200RT- I swung the final drive down to drain the oil in my final, need to grease the male / female splines. I want to be sure to use the correct grease. Can I get Assembly Lube (Autozone has Lucas) to use in there? I just have simple synthetic grease (for brake work) and a tube of BMW lubricant #10 (lithium extreme pressure grease). BelRay is way across town. Thanks, Dave

As long as it's got Molybdenum in it......most engine assembly lube does.

11 hours ago, Dave P said:

Morning Dave

That is a highly debated area, riders use a lot of different greases. The problem is we don't see any follow up on how long it lasted or how long it worked properly. It also depends on the operating conditions that the motorcycle was/is ridden in.   

If you live in a dry area & don't ride in the rain then you probably won't notice a lot of difference between the available moly based greases, if you ride in the wet, or power wash your motorcycle, then then grease choice can make a big difference.   

Personally I still use the  BMW recommended Optimoly TA on the splines & the  Staburags NBU 30 PTM to properly seal the rubber boot.  Luckily I still have some Optimoly TA as it doesn't seem to be available any longer. 

Some riders are using  Honda Moly 60 on the splines (if you can still find the Moly 60 as Honda has replaced it with the Honda M-77). 

You definitely want to properly seal the rubber boot as moisture can get in but not always get out.  

Personally I am kind of anal about what grease I use & how I seal the boot (I ride in a lot of wet at speed & do a number of water crossings).  What I use just plain works but possibly other products will as well but I stay with what I know works. 

You might wait a little while to see what others are using for spline lube & boot sealing.   

Not in a hurry, I've got other things disassembled on the bike anyway. It's just sitting there with its final hanging down. Oil in the roast pan.

Im not in the desert, but generally don't ride too much in the rain. I never power wash the bike.

I did notice lots of grey grease around the boot flange. That's the seal for the boot I guess. Boot itself looks to be in good shape- no rips. Sounds like different grease for splines vs boot, right? D

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2023 at 6:04 AM, dirtrider said:

Personally I still use the  BMW recommended Optimoly TA on the splines & the  Staburags NBU 30 PTM to properly seal the rubber boot.  Luckily I still have some Optimoly TA as it doesn't seem to be available any longer.    

I have about one squeeze left of old Staburags from the early 80's that I have used over the years for far and few spline lubes. Used most of it on the old airheads. Can the NBU 30 PTM also be used on splines? Looking to pull shaft of 98 RTP, 123.000 miles, inspect and lube. It has never been pulled, getting a little worried about it.

• 3 months later...