IGNORED

2023 BMWRA Rally, attending??

Purchased a ticket today for the 2023 BMWRA Rally, first one.  Wanted to see if other members here were planning on attending, I'd like to introduce myself in person.

1 hour ago, TSConver said:

You should come to FART in Sparta a lot of peeps will be there.

You should be able to do both events  and FART 2023 is cheaper! :18:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Much cheaper you park for free

• Haha 1

NEVER BEEN TO Riders Assoc Rally..  just bought tickets.  It sounds nice, I assume they have all the goodies, toilets',  showers, food, coffee....  I am on a 13 day total trip. What to expect? 

RA Rally.... It is a two day ride from home... After doing a grand tour of Blue Ridge Parkway, SC Fly-In (I'm a pilot), Deals Gap Resort, Fiends, home, and lots of back country road twistiness and sight seeing. 

• Home TN to Rally VA, leave Wed 13th,  two day ride thru KY, WV VA, overnight in Ky. (Camp at Rally  Thurs thru Sun.)   780 miles
  • Rally TN the Blue Ridge Pkway  (camp on BRPkwy 2 Nites). Arrive to Triple Tree SC Fly-In Tues, Camp put thru Sunday.  550 miles
  • Blue Ridge Pkwy to Fly in Triple Tree SC  110 miles
  • Triple Tree Fly In to Deal Gap Resort NC, Camp out  one Nite Sun-Mon, 180 miles 
  • Deal Gap to friends Smithville TN, 1hr East Nashville, 150 miles. 
  • Friends tp Home, 300 miles.  (freeway)...

Total 2000 miles,  13 days, one nite hotel, one friends, 11 camping (2 or 3 of those primitive).... Whoooo.... of course all subject to change.  Try to keep days under 400 miles, leave time for breaks, food....  The weather that week in VA is cool with some rain Sunday (reminding me need to buy new rain suit).  Of course the Wx is too far out but not bad. South Carolina Fly-In looks clear low 80's. 

Could ADD FART 2023 to end but no....I will be tired and already had ridden the length of the Blue Ridge from Afton to Pisgah.... 

RandyShields
2 hours ago, gmcjetpilot said:

I will be tired and already had ridden the length of the Blue Ridge from Afton to Pisgah.... 

You should double check the NPS site re the BRP.  Large sections closed this summer for road construction.

Thought about FART23, time from work is the thing, can't swing both events. Hopefully retiring next year and can make a few more events.  I tried to get to the RA Rally last year but advanced weather reports sent me in a different direction, big mistake as they got no rain, won't happen this year, if it ain't snowing I'm a going. Gmcjetpilot, I'll send you a PM with my email, drop me a note if your a mind to, we can link up for a beer, I'll be a sport and let you buy.

On 8/18/2023 at 11:55 AM, RandyShields said:

You should double check the NPS site re the BRP.  Large sections closed this summer for road construction.

Thank you for tip. As of today all sections or the main Blue Ridge Pkwy are open* and "ungated". All camp grounds are open. 

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

If you need to exit the parkway and bypass you do that. I am not on a too strict schedule, so I'll take my chance.  This part of the 13 day trip. I am planning  3 days to do 650 miles, of which 410 will be on Blue Ridge Pkwy, Rockfish Gap to Mt. Pisgah.

*Roanoke Mountain Loop / Roanoke Mountain Pkwy mile post 120.3.  I do not think that will affect the Blue Ridge Pkwy..... I did not realize there were "loops" and "spurs" off the BRP .  It would take a month to ride every aux loop / spur off of off BRP.

North Carolina Section is all open but they have "pavement preservation projects" going on ad hoc. I am sure they try and do it without shutting all traffic down. Fingers crossed.

I just got some new rain gear and supplies for Peewee's Big Adventure, BMW edition (RIP Paul Reubens). Fun FACT.... Blue Ridge Prky was created by a join collaboration of the two States, VA and NC in June 1936, making it just over 87 yrs old summer of 2023.

Per other thread Cherohala Skyway is closed for washout. I know WV is long way apart but i am sure I'm not the only one planning to pass through there.  Latest is 2 to 3 weeks to fix fingers crossed 🤞 

On 8/15/2023 at 10:22 AM, Bernie said:

That is exactly my plan .... hoping to do both since they are pretty close to home. 

And then on early October the 100th Anniversary BMW celebration at Barber.  First time Motorrad days is in the US ! 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well as they stay "stuff happens" and looks like I will be cancelling my trip to the RA Rally.   If anyone needs a room at the Resort shoot me a note and maybe we can coordinate.  Will cancel tomorrow to avoid costs.