IGNORED

Best front fender extender for current-gen shiftcam 1250RT?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Got me a 2023 R1250RT.  Couple of weeks old now, looking to extend the front fender before the front of the engine gets completely crudded up and pock-marked.  I had a Wunderlich extender on my 1200RT, which worked well.  They make one for earlier 1250RTs, but they say it doesn't fit the 2023. 

So...what's the best front fender extender that fits (or even might fit) a 2023 R1250RT?

I bought one from https://machineartmoto.com/products/avant-rt-1250-21 for my '19 model.   From the website, it appears that they do not offer those anymore; 2021 and up.  :dontknow:

It clears the winglets without issue.   

As far as the job it does, it does okay.   It minimizes the crud build-up, but it still gets grime on there.   Lately, I have been thinking about attaching an innertube flap to hang below the fender extender to make a fender-extender extender..   

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
14 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

As far as the job it does, it does okay.   It minimizes the crud build-up, but it still gets grime on there.   Lately, I have been thinking about attaching an innertube flap to hang below the fender extender to make a fender-extender extender..   

Morning William

That what I do on some of my motorcycles, add a rubber tongue sticking down another few inches. You will probably need something thicker than an innertube (unless a truck or tractor innertube) as a regular motorcycle or car type innertubes are petty thin so can fold back at higher speeds.  (this is doubly important if you have a hot exhaust pipe running close behind the front fender) 

• Thanks 1

Greetings dirtrider,

Great point.   I have access to mudflaps for a semi trailer that are thick rubber.   I will be cognizant of the added weight so as not to overload the grip-type fasteners on the fender extender. 

Thanks!!

On 8/13/2023 at 4:56 PM, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Got me a 2023 R1250RT.  Couple of weeks old now, looking to extend the front fender before the front of the engine gets completely crudded up and pock-marked.  I had a Wunderlich extender on my 1200RT, which worked well.  They make one for earlier 1250RTs, but they say it doesn't fit the 2023. 

So...what's the best front fender extender that fits (or even might fit) a 2023 R1250RT?

I have this on my 2021RT should work on your 2023RT. CO web site is listed on instruction sheet (attached).

Front fender extension.jpg

On 8/15/2023 at 9:57 PM, DJDixon said:

Sure wish they made one for my '20, wrote to them but no joy...

I purchased one in July 2021 for my 2020 R1250RT.  A snippet of the invoice is below.  It appears it may be the same one as for the R1200RT LCs.  Fits great with no issues.

Screenshot2023-08-18at10_31_12AM.png.f6dfe65305cb4a25953aa02e7dfbff34.png

2 hours ago, BMW_Ken said:

I purchased one in July 2021 for my 2020 R1250RT.  A snippet of the invoice is below.  It appears it may be the same one as for the R1200RT LCs.  Fits great with no issues.

Screenshot2023-08-18at10_31_12AM.png.f6dfe65305cb4a25953aa02e7dfbff34.png

In 2021 BMW changed the front end lights and plastic of the RT.  The fender was part of that change.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, strataj said:

In 2021 BMW changed the front end lights and plastic of the RT.  The fender was part of that change.

I realize that. I was replying to @DJDixon who indicated that he had a 2020 RT. 

On 8/13/2023 at 10:25 PM, EdM said:

I have the Machine Art Moto one on my 23 RT. Fits great and easy to install.

I  bought one from them for my 23 RT, after a 5 minute install, it works great

• Like 1
slavetotheroad

I got one from Ali Express that is a direct copy of the Machine Art Moto piece.  It's great quality and a perfect fit on my 2022 R1250GS.  Should fit your RT no problem.

Lone_RT_rider

Mitch, 

I have the Machine art Moto extender too. It's a bit high in cost compared to the Chinese clearing house specials on Fleabay, but it installs perfectly and it's done a good job of protecting the GS.  I put one of the cheaper units on the RT, and I'm not happy with the job it's doing.  I'm probably going to buy another MM extender for the RT as well and pull that Fleabay special off of it. 

Shawn

• Like 2

I have had the MachineArtMoto Avant extender on all my bikes for as long as they were available.   They are the best of the extenders and install with NO drilling and no sticky tape and are rock solid.   Sure you can buy a Chinese knockoff but I refuse to support the stealing of product designs.   But that is just me. 

• Like 2

Is this "fender extender" really necessary or is it just a personal choice for your bike?

Perhaps I don't see enough RT's on the road but I don't believe I've seen one out there.

On the GS bikes, yes, but not so much on the RTs.

AD (obviously living under a rock while on the road)

1 hour ago, ADulay said:

Is this "fender extender" really necessary or is it just a personal choice for your bike?

Perhaps I don't see enough RT's on the road but I don't believe I've seen one out there.

On the GS bikes, yes, but not so much on the RTs.

AD (obviously living under a rock while on the road)

Necessary?   No not at all.   But they do keep a lot of road grime and much off of the front of the engine and help keep that front engine surface looking nice.  And the MachineArtMoto Avant seems to work the best.  I have had some type of fender extender on all of my BMW's using the Pyramid brand before MAM surfaced with the Avant model that is no drill.  But certainly not necessary.  I admit I am a bit OCD about keeping my bikes looking nice. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
Joe Frickin' Friday

Thanks for all the input, folks. The MachineArt product was high on my list after my initial research, but it was nice to have affirmation of my initial impressions from all of you.  I ordered it last weekend, and it arrived yesterday.   Just in time, as my motor front was already getting crudded up after just 500 miles:

image.thumb.jpeg.bd156b16ad2d432869a15584c0a6d6f0.jpeg

Thankfully it still cleans up good:

image.thumb.jpeg.4af3df5f4b50cb3368f835bfe2fc7ccd.jpeg

simple package, with good instructions:

image.thumb.jpeg.9ff848ff3eb5d39c3119cddf0e07b056.jpeg

Nicely made, was impressed to see that they had actually milled fangs into the clamp nut so that it can reliably grab-and-hold the unseen underside of the OEM fender:

image.thumb.png.18afc6c3ff25c8148a57074bcc8d3cc2.png

Super easy install, just had to slide it in place and snug up the two clamp screws, and done:

image.thumb.jpeg.6005ab35d117dcd4d0c0520bd889f390.jpeg

Very happy with the result.  :18:

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Lone_RT_rider

Mitch, I did end up swapping out my extender. Apparently they are not planning on making anymore for the pre-2021 RT's at this point.  I got one of the last 2 they have in stock for my 2020. :)