IGNORED

2009 R1200RT front brake squeal

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

2009 R1200RT front brake squeal. How the heck do I get rid of it? Honed the outer rotor surfaces  (inners are a pain as they have to be removed). Plenty of meat on the pads and sanded the surfaces clean. Put orange anti-squeal on the back of the pads. All brake hardware was removed, cleaned and reinstalled properly. Rotors are true with about 55k original miles. BBY Carbon Lorraine pads. I’m befuddled.

1 hour ago, The Rocketman said:

2009 R1200RT front brake squeal. How the heck do I get rid of it? Honed the outer rotor surfaces  (inners are a pain as they have to be removed). Plenty of meat on the pads and sanded the surfaces clean. Put orange anti-squeal on the back of the pads. All brake hardware was removed, cleaned and reinstalled properly. Rotors are true with about 55k original miles. BBY Carbon Lorraine pads. I’m befuddled.

Afternoon Rocketman

Some brake pads just don't get along with stainless steel brake rotors.

You already did most, about all I can suggest is to lightly chamfer the outer edges of the brake pads, sometimes that can get rid of brake squeal.  

Also, go over the rotors with a red scotch bright & brake clean then wipe with brake clean on a clean rag or paper towel.

The Rocketman

Chamfered the pad edges all the way around the perimeter. Used red Scotchbrite on inside and outside or rotors. Removed CRC orange brake squeal stuff and lightly coated back of pads with brake caliper grease. Cleaned off slide pins and used grease there too. Did a 300 mile ride Sunday and all was good. Time will tell if it stays quiet.

Next time around, clean out all of the holes first.   Brad uses a rifle cleaning wire brush in his cordless driver; makes for quick cleaning.   Never really though about the grime that accumulates in those.   I use one for 9mm barrels.   

• Like 1