IGNORED

My first track day

46nto

Closing in on 25 years now, I was riding a Buell Cyclone which I adored. I toured on it, rode way too fast on public roads with it & just loved the damn thing. I didn’t care that it broke exhaust mounts monthly, didn’t care steel toes were a requirement to shift gears on it & didn’t care that it ran super hot & pinged a lot in stock trim. I’d found my bike & I was going to do track days. Being a relatively responsible young father, I figure I needed to be as safe as I could both on road & on track, if I ever got on one so I got myself an Aerostich Roadcrafter with knee slider Velcro on the knees. I was ready.

And then my engine blew. So I dropped in an engine from a bike a follow American Thunderbike Club member had crashed. I was ready. But I never made it to a track on the Buell. 

There were many bike between the Buell & my present 1150RT but I never got anywhere near a track nevermind get on a track & progress to where I’d need knee sliders. 

But finally, a couple weeks ago, I made it to a track day. Somehow I found myself on Ken Condon’s Riding in the Zone site & saw that he had a non sport bike track day scheduled (since changed names to advanced street riding skills class) at Palmer Motorsports Park about 30 minutes from where I live. Even better, the class qualifies for a Paul B motorcycle safety education scholarship through MOA. I applied & was granted the max of $250 for the $350 class. I was super excited!

Finally the day arrived! I packed the bike & took off for the track. I got there early & made some new friends as well as reacquainted with a buddy I’ve known for years through mountain biking. Tech opened & I rolled up thinking no worries, I fixed those little oil leaks, I’ll sail through this. Until the tech inspector said “oh wow, that’s one of the worst front tires I’ve ever seen”. Huh?!?! “Ummm, could you slow me?” “Of course” “Oh damn how the hell did I miss that!?” “Not sure but we’re going to have to have other folks look at that & give a yay or nay” “cool, I get it. I’m a bonehead” So long story short it was a super nice day, no rain in sight & they let me ride. Woohoo!

see next post for continuation…

IMG_4760.jpeg

We went through a riders meeting & had the rules laid out for us & split into 3 groups each with 2 instructors on track. Our first session would be follow the leader & each of us would rotate turns to ride directly behind an instructor. Finally, I was getting out on track! The follow the leader session was super slow but damned if it felt that way then! Pretty sure this pic is from that session. I’m stiff as a board, dead center in the middle of the bike & sure I couldn’t get the bike around at this speed. 

230801_palmer_asrt_redgp_048.thumb.jpeg.ccb70006a82c6c2f3ba6441eb1744bef.jpeg

After a few sessions I began to relax & remember that in fact, I do know how to ride a motorcycle. We covered line selection, apexing & trailbraking during the morning sessions. Things began to click…

230801_palmer_asrt_redgp_342.jpeg

230801_palmer_asrt_redgp_420.thumb.jpeg.4dd59528d36b0cb6bf22a65c3209211f.jpeg

• Like 2

We began to get into body positioning on the bike in the early afternoon. My first laps after that class session were 50% awesome -for some reason, I wasn’t putting it together in righthanders do I spoke with an instructor who hit me back off the tank & loosened up a bit. This was getting even more fun!

230801_palmer_asrt_redgp_514.thumb.jpeg.b198bb5967065a3fac9629d02de380fa.jpeg

• Like 3

The last few sessions were a bit physically tiring. I was all over the bike. I’d learned so much & it felt awesome on that track! My head was full of all kinds of new knowledge & my body was cooperating with my bike. I was railing corners in the last session when I heard a bike coming up behind me. I developed into the fastest rider in my group throughout the day (not a huge feat, we were the newb/slow group) so I thought it odd I was about to get passed. Out of the last turn, one of our instruct drops in front of me & taps his tail which means follow me. Oh boy, here we go!

230801_palmer_asrt_redgp_515.thumb.jpeg.fc19b0c9e79f9ed13727e48d00fa5359.jpeg

• Like 1

So we’re down the front straight at around 110 & we’re slowing going up the hill into the first turn but holy crap we’re not slowing that much! “Geez Pete, I’m on an old man’s bike &… Shut up & ride you fool!” We dive into turn 1 far faster than I thought I could & here’s turn 2 already! I’m still on two wheels, this is progress! Turn 3 as a long right hand sweeper, I’m hanging off the bike as best I can flying around the corner. Pete is heading toward the apex on turn 4 & he gives me the thumbs up. Sweet! I’m on his tail all the way through that lap & I get another thumbs up down the straight. Into turn 1 even faster somehow, through 2 & railing into 3 when I see we ‘re getting into traffic. I managed to hang with him awhile but the traffic added too much to my plate & my mind melted into mush. I start blowing lines, half committing on passes, etc so I just let him go on what was the last lap. 

230801_palmer_asrt_redgp_552.thumb.jpeg.5c6ffc4076f6982f34c7d39514355d2c.jpeg

• Like 1

So I think I’m going to need a track bike! That kind of riding is addictive. It required 100% of my concentration which is a state of mind I love to be in. Looks like there is another opportunity to ride the same track for me on Labor Day. I can’t wait to get back there!

This experience taught me more than I could’ve imagined & I’m undoubtedly a better & safer rider on the street because of it. If you’re in the northeast, keep an eye out for Ken Condon’s Riding in the Zone advanced street rider classes in 2024. Pretty sure there Will be two of them & I’ll definitely be at one if not both. 

• Like 1

Thanks folks, it was a great day. If you have a chance to ride on a track, do it!! It is the environment to go fast. Since I’ve been to that class, I’ve slowed down on the road. There’s no point now, it’s not possible for me to get that rush on the street. Well, it’s possible but I’m not willing to put myself in that kind of situation needlessly endangering myself and others. 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great write-up and pictures.  I did the same last year at Palmer.  Exhausted by the end of the day and didn't really loosen up until the 2nd session.  We rode the track the counter-clockwise.  Turn 1 after the long straight does require you to trust your brakes and skills.  Overall it was a great day.  

Joe at Palmer Motorsports Park_Track Day 05.31.22.jpg

• Like 3
On 8/11/2023 at 3:33 PM, 46nto said:

So we’re down the front straight at around 110 & we’re slowing going up the hill into the first turn but holy crap we’re not slowing that much! “Geez Pete, I’m on an old man’s bike &… Shut up & ride you fool!” We dive into turn 1 far faster than I thought I could & here’s turn 2 already! I’m still on two wheels, this is progress! Turn 3 as a long right hand sweeper, I’m hanging off the bike as best I can flying around the corner. Pete is heading toward the apex on turn 4 & he gives me the thumbs up. Sweet! I’m on his tail all the way through that lap & I get another thumbs up down the straight. Into turn 1 even faster somehow, through 2 & railing into 3 when I see we ‘re getting into traffic. I managed to hang with him awhile but the traffic added too much to my plate & my mind melted into mush. I start blowing lines, half committing on passes, etc so I just let him go on what was the last lap. 

230801_palmer_asrt_redgp_552.thumb.jpeg.5c6ffc4076f6982f34c7d39514355d2c.jpeg

good for you.  track days/rider training and suspension is probably the best motorcycle money you can spend.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1