IGNORED

drivetrain backlash

Sam Boychuk

2005 r1200st, 33000 miles, with the bike on centerstand and in gear approx, how much backlash should I have when I rotate the rear wheel. thanks Sam.

Mine has quite a bit at 20,000 miles. Mine is across the country at my son's so I can't give you an accurate number; but I remember it being a lot. 

Works great with no noises or leaks.

20 minutes ago, Sam Boychuk said:

2005 r1200st, 33000 miles, with the bike on centerstand and in gear approx, how much backlash should I have when I rotate the rear wheel. thanks Sam.

Morning Sam

There is no BMW specification. They do have a fair amount as there are a lot of interfaces in the drive train that can all add up. It can also depend on what gear you have the transmission in as the lower gears sets have more backlash than the upper gear sets. But the lower gear lash needs to move farther in relation to the rear wheel movement.

A decent tight one with some miles on it will go about 1-1/2" in 1st gear, but I have seen some go over 2" to 2-1/2" measured at the wheel rim. 

It has more to do with WHERE the play is, if it is all in one spot that is typically not good but if the lash is spread out a little over all the transmission gear interfaces, clutch to input shaft, & final drive backlash then perfectly normal.  

• Plus 1 1