IGNORED

Insight requested

Matts_12GS

I'm a long-time boxer owner, 7 or 8 of them, maybe 150,000 miles worth or so. My wife is no fan of getting up onto the pillion of my GS, so I've been giving the touring set a look for something lower and more comfortable for her. 

I have looked at RTs, and just want something different. I bought an Ultra Classic because it's lower, but, I don't think I'm a Harley guy at heart. 

So... I've been giving the K16s a look. Can anyone offer any insight beyond silky smooth power and big buckets of torque?   

1. What's the maintenance like compared to a boxer?
  2. What's the legroom like? I'm 6'4 with a 34" inseam. I seem to remember them being a little cramped
  3. What other caveats would you offer someone familiar with BMW about switching to the "dark side?"
  4. What should I look for in one to purchase? 

The Grand America has the “Low” and you already know it has the “go”. With your inseam, it has the floorboards to unbend those knees. The Big service is at 18K, valve check, everything else is standard Beemer stuff I think.

Brad @Boxflyer knows a lot about them bikes having owned a couple himself. A fart or start K 16 valve check would be interesting to view! :thumbsup:

Mike @MikeB60 knows a hell of a lot about these bikes also.

• Like 1

Talk to @MikeB60, he has a lot to say about the K16GT.

BamaJohn has a R1200RT, Wethead for sale, nicely outfitted and well maintained. I think it has a top case also.

• Like 3

Matt, I've got a 2013 K1600GT that I have ridden for 60000 miles.  Still puts a smile on my face. 

Maintenance: Needs an oil change at 6000 miles or every year like the boxers.  Not as straight forward though as there are two drain plugs. One is on the bottom oil tank underneath the engine. The second drain plug is accessed through the hole created when you remove the first drain plug and is a PITA and easy to drop into the oil tank/pan.  If you're lucky you can grab it with a magnet if not the tank/pan has to come off. There is a guy on the K1600 website that sells a replacement 2nd drain plug that you can use a 1/4 inch extension with vs the T30 oem plug. German engineering at its finest. 

Brake fluid service and Final Drive Service is the same as with the boxers.

18000 miles is the recommended major service.  Oil change, Air filter, plugs (x6 at 12 bucks a shot), coolant (the radiator has to come off) and a valve check. At least $1200 at the dealer. 18000 miles is overkill from my perspective. I did the 18000 mile service and the valves were fine but did replace the air filter and plugs but they really didn't need it. I did the 2nd major service at 36000 and found 2 valves at the upper limit of the spec.  Didn't adjust the valves but did replace the air filter and plugs.  This past winter I did the major at 58000 or 22000 miles from the last major service. None of the valve lash measurements had changed.  Went ahead and changed the plugs and air filter but they could have gone further. Many of the guys on the K1600 forum don't bother checking valves and go at 30000 miles on plugs. I do my own maintenance but on the 1600 it's major surgery unlike a boxer to include the shift cam which are relatively easy to work on.

For the most part the K1600s are reliable, the most common issue is coil failures and water pumps (although BMW seems to have improved the water pumps). Some of the newer 2018 and up have had a few issues with oil consumption. These things shred tires if you run them hard not uncommon for me to replace tires between 4000 and 4500 miles.  Last trip to Sparta I killed a Bridgestone in 2700 miles.  They are also hard on front wheel bearings good idea to change them at 30000 as a preventative measure. 

The GT and GTL have a very different ergonomic set up.  You might find the GT a little cramped but you are going to want a Russell seat which helps with the leg room.  I also lowered the foot pegs but they are definitely easier to drag.  The GTL is more upright but I really like the overall ergonomic setup of the GT better.  @TEWKS mentioned the Grand America which is based on the 1600B. If I want a Bagger I'll buy another Harley. That said, there seems to be a real issue with instability with both the B and GA in traffic at speed tons of grips on the K1600 site related to this issue. 

Shocks are an expensive proposition if you can't install them yourself. Mine were gone at 30000 but I ride 2up quite often and I tip the scales at 275.  

The sweet spot if buying used is 2014-2017.  The 2015s and up, I think, have the reverse and shift assist pro. Wouldn't chance a 2011 or 2012 low mileage K1600 unless it had a replacement engine. BMW had a run of bad pistons no recall and just not worth the risk from my perspective. 

2018 and up to 2021 have a different tune than the earlier models for the Euro emissions. Lots of complaints about flat acceleration when compared to the earlier models. Bren Tune has a 700 dollar fix to bring the performance on par with the older machines. 

Resale value sucks I would definitely buy used.

In closing, although heavy in the tight stuff I can still hustle the big girl through the Appalachians.  Fast sweepers are a hoot and the K1600 is very capable of getting you a jail size ticket!  The engine is perfect from my perspective and there is no better 2up sport touring bike than the GT.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
7 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Matt, I've got a 2013 K1600GT that I have ridden for 60000 miles.  Still puts a smile on my face. 

Maintenance: Needs an oil change at 6000 miles or every year like the boxers.  Not as straight forward though as there are two drain plugs. One is on the bottom oil tank underneath the engine. The second drain plug is accessed through the hole created when you remove the first drain plug and is a PITA and easy to drop into the oil tank/pan.  If you're lucky you can grab it with a magnet if not the tank/pan has to come off. There is a guy on the K1600 website that sells a replacement 2nd drain plug that you can use a 1/4 inch extension with vs the T30 oem plug. German engineering at its finest. 

Brake fluid service and Final Drive Service is the same as with the boxers.

18000 miles is the recommended major service.  Oil change, Air filter, plugs (x6 at 12 bucks a shot), coolant (the radiator has to come off) and a valve check. At least $1200 at the dealer. 18000 miles is overkill from my perspective. I did the 18000 mile service and the valves were fine but did replace the air filter and plugs but they really didn't need it. I did the 2nd major service at 36000 and found 2 valves at the upper limit of the spec.  Didn't adjust the valves but did replace the air filter and plugs.  This past winter I did the major at 58000 or 22000 miles from the last major service. None of the valve lash measurements had changed.  Went ahead and changed the plugs and air filter but they could have gone further. Many of the guys on the K1600 forum don't bother checking valves and go at 30000 miles on plugs. I do my own maintenance but on the 1600 it's major surgery unlike a boxer to include the shift cam which are relatively easy to work on.

For the most part the K1600s are reliable, the most common issue is coil failures and water pumps (although BMW seems to have improved the water pumps). Some of the newer 2018 and up have had a few issues with oil consumption. These things shred tires if you run them hard not uncommon for me to replace tires between 4000 and 4500 miles.  Last trip to Sparta I killed a Bridgestone in 2700 miles.  They are also hard on front wheel bearings good idea to change them at 30000 as a preventative measure. 

The GT and GTL have a very different ergonomic set up.  You might find the GT a little cramped but you are going to want a Russell seat which helps with the leg room.  I also lowered the foot pegs but they are definitely easier to drag.  The GTL is more upright but I really like the overall ergonomic setup of the GT better.  @TEWKS mentioned the Grand America which is based on the 1600B. If I want a Bagger I'll buy another Harley. That said, there seems to be a real issue with instability with both the B and GA in traffic at speed tons of grips on the K1600 site related to this issue. 

Shocks are an expensive proposition if you can't install them yourself. Mine were gone at 30000 but I ride 2up quite often and I tip the scales at 275.  

The sweet spot if buying used is 2014-2017.  The 2015s and up, I think, have the reverse and shift assist pro. Wouldn't chance a 2011 or 2012 low mileage K1600 unless it had a replacement engine. BMW had a run of bad pistons no recall and just not worth the risk from my perspective. 

2018 and up to 2021 have a different tune than the earlier models for the Euro emissions. Lots of complaints about flat acceleration when compared to the earlier models. Bren Tune has a 700 dollar fix to bring the performance on par with the older machines. 

Resale value sucks I would definitely buy used.

In closing, although heavy in the tight stuff I can still hustle the big girl through the Appalachians.  Fast sweepers are a hoot and the K1600 is very capable of getting you a jail size ticket!  The engine is perfect from my perspective and there is no better 2up sport touring bike than the GT.  

Mike forgot to mention how incredible his bike sounds with the full REMUS exhaust.  I love riding behind him, it's like listening to a great soundtrack.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2